Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,643 times

Advertisements

Foreigners can certainly rent range guns. If you've ever seen the billboard signs (in AZ) for The Gun Store in Las Vegas, they rent mostly to foreign tourists. I took my NV CCW class there and there was a two hour wait to rent a machine gun and a long line of taxis out front. Most of the folks waiting were foreigners.

My wife is a green card holder (obviously having been here more than 90 days and considered an immigrant) and she shoots with me all the time at Scottsdale Gun Club. I'm pretty sure she can CCW in AZ with no permit too, though she has no desire to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 06:01 PM

363 posts, read 929,973 times
I tried to chime in the other Canadian gun ownership thread, I will do the same here. I work on the US-Canadian border and this question comes up all the time around November-December when we inspect the incoming flock of snowbirds. As we told you at the border, purchasing a firearm within the 50 states for a Canadian is ILLEGAL!!!! Purchasing ammunition as a Canadian citizen is ILLEGAL!!! If you want to have a hunting rifle with you, get an approved ATF form 6, join a hunting/shooting club and bring it for the duration of your stay.

We hand out the ATF pamphlets and highlight the penalties so you won't make the mistake of purchasing the above described items. Spending 3-4-5 months in the beautiful state of Arizona does not make you a resident, not even with home ownership. So, please don't jeopardize your legal visitor status and stay away from guns.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyoka View Post
I... Purchasing ammunition as a Canadian citizen is ILLEGAL!!! ...
Well, that would seem to rule out gun rentals, as you have to purchase ammunition to use the rental gun. Perhaps another issue whether or not citizenship requirements are enforced at the ranges for rentals.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 PM

57 posts, read 181,103 times
@Rick Lee,

Your wife is considered a US Person because she is a Lawful Permanent Resident and thus has an I-551. Mjd2K has a completely different situation. He is considered a non-immigrant alien and he would be visiting on a visa waiver because he is a Canadian citizen. The law is very clear and if you need some clarification please read my last post on page two of this thread.

We have no desire to see our Canadian friends get in trouble when they come to to enjoy the winter sun.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:22 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I didn't notice the "range" in the post. I think it would still be illegal (possession) but that is above my legal knowledge. Foreigners certainly can't have one to go out in the desert as the OP asked about. Having said that, the odds of being bothered by LE out in the desert are near zero. But driving there could put you in jeopardy if you get stopped for a traffic violation and the cops see the gun and your CDN drivers license.
Interesting, last time I was crossing the border into the US (I'm Canadian) I asked a Customs and Border Patrol Agent if I could bring kitchen knives into the US and he told me yes and that I could even bring in firearms if I had the right paperwork.

Last edited by adventuregurl; 01-05-2012 at 09:35 PM..

Old 01-05-2012, 10:07 PM

57 posts, read 181,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
he told me yes and that I could even bring in firearms if I had the right paperwork.
Exactly. Such as an approved ATF Form 6NIA for starters.

The agency is called Customs and Border Protection. Not Customs and Border Patrol.

I have included links below to the ATF quick refference chart and the required form.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...-p-5300-18.pdf

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-3d.pdf

Last edited by gritz; 01-05-2012 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,364 times
Mjd2k,

Maybe your best bet is to gather some cronies, and go to a paintball or laser tag place.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 PM

363 posts, read 929,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritz View Post
he would be visiting on a visa waiver because he is a Canadian citizen.
We don't issue visa waivers to Canadians . Canadians fall under a Non Controlled B2 visitor denomination with a maximum stay of 6 months in the US. Germans, Britts, French, Poles, Sweeds etc etc... they get visa waivers.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:16 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,033 times
Aren't there guns that anyone can buy, like bb guns or pellet guns? I mean, "plinking" sounds like you want to tip over some cans.

Don't 'plink' any cactus. That's illegal, at least those poor, targeted Saguaros.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 PM

391 posts, read 788,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Aren't there guns that anyone can buy, like bb guns or pellet guns? I mean, "plinking" sounds like you want to tip over some cans.

Don't 'plink' any cactus. That's illegal, at least those poor, targeted Saguaros.
Ready Freddy, thank you for the excellent suggestion! A pellet pistol would be very suitable. I had a few when I was a kid and we spent hours with them. Had a riot.

I admit I was a little down that I could not buy or rent a gun but "if" I can use a pellet gun, that will work.

I have already been told to respect foliage. I would just go out and shoot a few cans or targets

PS: AZ Tracy, I have an aversion to paintball. A hockey team I coached had a players againts coaches night. Coaches lost big time and I had bruises for weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area