Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 5,231 times

Advertisements

Moving to Phoenix in may for a 6 month internship. I'm very hesitant to accept this job because I'm very picky about neighborhoods. I am looking for neighborhoods that are not “picket fence clean", very walk able to different local shops, preferable an organic co-op nearby, good bar scene with bars that have lots of local music, hippy type neighborhood that is dog and bike friendly. I love life and people, I need to live in a neighborhood where there are always people walking around outside my doors. I also like somewhat sketchy artsy neighborhoods like ones that some people would consider dangerous but attract the alternative type. Currently I am living in Cincinnati OH and I am looking for an area similar to Over the Rhine or Northside.. I also really like Asheville NC and am looking for a neighborhood similar to that.

I also want to say that I am not scared to live in low class neighborhoods either - I see so much potential in mostly low class AA neighborhoods - those people are so nice and friendly in my opinion. I've lived in very dangerous neighborhoods before and have been very happy.

Also my job will be in Chandler - which is not ideal for me, I would love to be able to walk, bike or bus to my job but my urge to want to live closer or in downtown is greater than my urge to walk to work. What is the commute like out of downtown to Chandler?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 10:50 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,078,964 times
How about downtown Chandler? Its certainly not picket fence, does have alot of questionable people walking around, there are shops and close by artsy places, cafes, and walkable streets. Now, I wouldn't walk around there at night, but it sounds like you are very confident and would like the scene. There are condos close by and also apts. so might be something to consider. I think the commute to and from Chandler would be difficult, especially during rush hour. JMHO.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:35 AM

19,449 posts, read 27,893,581 times
What you describe sounds like Tempe. Downtown Chandler will bore you to tears.

But, as an old lady, may I suggest that you be grateful for the job opportunity and stop being quite so picky about your neighborhood? It's six months out of a long life. Hopefully, it's a job that will benefit your long term career. Not to be rude, but grow up and get real and don't expect to find Utopia wherever you go.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:30 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durran74 View Post
Moving to Phoenix in may for a 6 month internship. I'm very hesitant to accept this job because I'm very picky about neighborhoods. I am looking for neighborhoods that are not “picket fence clean", very walk able to different local shops, preferable an organic co-op nearby, good bar scene with bars that have lots of local music, hippy type neighborhood that is dog and bike friendly. I love life and people, I need to live in a neighborhood where there are always people walking around outside my doors. I also like somewhat sketchy artsy neighborhoods like ones that some people would consider dangerous but attract the alternative type. Currently I am living in Cincinnati OH and I am looking for an area similar to Over the Rhine or Northside.. I also really like Asheville NC and am looking for a neighborhood similar to that.

I also want to say that I am not scared to live in low class neighborhoods either - I see so much potential in mostly low class AA neighborhoods - those people are so nice and friendly in my opinion. I've lived in very dangerous neighborhoods before and have been very happy.

Also my job will be in Chandler - which is not ideal for me, I would love to be able to walk, bike or bus to my job but my urge to want to live closer or in downtown is greater than my urge to walk to work. What is the commute like out of downtown to Chandler?
Have you ever even visited Phoenix? I ask because, generally speaking, it's not bike friendly, nor are the public transportation offerings very convenient. Living in downtown and commuting from Chandler will be very tedious unless your schedule is opposite normal commuter rush hours.

Phoenix is nothing whatsoever like Cincinnati or Ashville. If you want run down neighborhoods, there are plenty to choose from. If you want sketchy urban neighborhoods, try Maryvale, parts of South Phoenix, or parts of Sunnyslope. I'm not sure where you'd find a neighborhood with people walking outside your doors all the time. Phoenix is simply not a walking sort of city - the car is king because things are so spread out. I'm also not aware of any overtly "hippy type" neighborhoods. I might add that most "very dangerous" neighborhoods are not "very walk able to different local shops, preferable an organic co-op nearby, good bar scene with bars that have lots of local music, hippy type neighborhood that is dog and bike friendly." Organic co-ops are probably more plentiful in Tempe around the university. The bar scene would also be Tempe for your age group.

I strongly suggest you visit the area before deciding on where to live. Your questions indicate you have no idea what the Phoenix metro area is like, so it will be difficult for strangers to offer useful advice aside from just go with the flow, since you're only going to be here for six months.

Best wishes to you.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:36 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,075,677 times
as said, keep in mind that Phoenix grew very quickly only after WW2, when the car was already the preferred transport mode....Cincy and Asheville have been around for 175/200+ years, so their density is much, much higher....

I do understand your edgy neighborhood thing....yes, there are places I've been that have a vibe that's "risky", yet not at all dangerous....fun, real, unpretentious, friendly, but not at all sterile and "planned"....

is your internship definitely in Chandler?....if so, you may have to plan on public transport/driving as downtown Chandler, the only edgy part of Chandler, is not going to meet your edgy definition....it has been spruced up a bit in the last 10-15 years and definitely has some bar/food/arts action and there are iffy 'hoods right next door to hip restaurants, but it's small and a bit "organized" and planned....not a lot of walking going on to a great extent except on some eves and weekends....there are nearby apts and condos, as mentioned, which might up its attractiveness to you.....

as said, downtown Tempe is a good option for you....nearby ASU is what makes it happen there and it's always been a bit hippy and progressive....very convenient location within the valley....

you may also want to check out specific areas in downtown Phx and points N of downtown, including the 7th Ave/Indian School area....the new light rail goes thru this entire area and it's slowly emerging as hip again....but, it's still lower density, and nearby business may require a walk of up to a half-mile or so to get to a major artery where they are clustered....and you'll have to figure out how to get to Chandler every day

as stated, plan to stay in an extended-stay style hotel/motel when you first arrive to have time to check out areas before committing to a place

Last edited by azdr0710; 11-30-2011 at 03:47 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 03:49 PM

412 posts, read 680,279 times
Ditto to all of the above, sounds like Tempe is the place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area