Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:16 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
When we rehabed our house the previously installed wired system ran all the wiring under the carpet then up under the baseboard inside the walls. We ripped out about 500 feet of wiring.
Our new wireless system, cost $800.00, and we own it outright, has wireless sensors covering all doors and windows. Our battery lasts at least 5 years. If there is a battery problem, or sensor problem, our main panel tells us where the problem exists. So far we have had no problems. We also have the smoke alarm with the system. Our system runs on 120v electricity with a battery backup. At the time everything was suppose to be state of the art. We pay $55.00 every 3 months.
There are many other features offered at extra cost, such as a panic button etal. Generally you customize the system to your own personal needs so prices may vary quite a bit.
Wireless makes a lot of sense, especially with the tile floors so many houses have. The system my house came with originally (which had the motion sensor wiring under the carpet until the tile went down a few years ago) isn't really operational, for various reasons. Could you send me a PM re: the source of your system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 01:02 AM

55 posts, read 180,357 times
I strongly recommend an alarm system in this city! Almost as soon as I had the alarm installed, someone tried to break in late at night and set the alarm off! The police caught him! I was burgarized several months later, but the alarm was off as it had to be rewired due to remodeling. I sleep so much better knowing it is on at night. I live in a nice part of town also. My grandparents lived by the Phonecian in Arcadia and were burglarized three times. They never got an alarm, either because they didnt want to spend the money or it was just too techical and new for them. My grandfather slept with a gun. I remember as a kid the neighbors' alarm going off all the time in their neighborhood. This was in the 80's - maybe the time of the rock burglars? Anyway, suffice to say that I could not live in this city without an alarm.

I have ADT but if I could have gotten a deal like HMS (posted above), I would have. ADT's phone service is terrific. I always can speak to someone immediately, even if it's in reference to something inconsequential. I pay $35 a month and it was about $300 to install. My friend got her ADT system installed for much less. She found a coupon in one of those coupon pamphlets you get in the mail. The problem with ADT is that if you have a problem with the system, they charge an inordinate amt. to come out to look at it. When I was remodeling, they charged $89 an hour to move the system. They dont charge for false calls (I have had many! - once the door was not locked and a little sparrow managed to push the door open and hopped right into the house, pecking for food - and setting the alarm off. I dont know how something that small could have pushed the door open!) and I think the Phx. pd charges after 2 false calls, after you register the alarm system and pay a $15 fee.

I have wireless, which I like because of the motion detector. I am going to get the glass breakage alarm as well after I replace all my glass windows around the courtyard with sliders. It will go off when glass is broken in the room. Dishes breaking wont set it off, they told me. If I could add one thing to the system, it would be a dog.

Last edited by rockybird; 06-02-2009 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: .

Old 06-02-2009, 02:00 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,426,615 times
I've had many problems with Brinks in the past.

One instence was when I was in CA our motion detector was set off somehow, the alarm was going off for about 30 minutes and my neighbor called me and let me know what was going on. I thought he was joking since Brinks never called.

About 15 minutes later I got a call from brinks saying that they have been attempting to reach me, but they kept calling the house phone, it took them 45 minutes to call our cell phone!

I know this is not the norm, but this was not the first problem we had with them reporting to us that our alarm was activated.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 10,996 times
Default Wireless systems

I've been in the business for many years...some suggestions

1. door contacts are worthwhile but unless you leave all your windows unlocked its better to have a glass break detector..one unit can cover pretty much 2000 sq feet

2. Wireless is a good bet, but there are a lot of quality issues...ask for a honeywell manufactured system, its the one that has the 5 yr battery life and very low false alarms

3. don't forget you may qualify for homeowner's insurance reduction with a monitored system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area