Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:48 PM

7 posts, read 39,391 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Tucson, moved to Phoenix, AZ for 10 years, then East TN for 5 years and just moved up to NE PA a month ago for work, but I still miss AZ, everything is so convenient and nice & new. The roads in NE PA are terrible and I have snow to look forward to I hope to move to the Austin outlying Areas or somewhere closer to AZ in a couple of years; I do miss the west, but Phoenix has gotten too big. I like a smaller town feeling. Any thoughts on where to move.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:00 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,889,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
What exactly IS Valley Fever???
Valley Fever - Although it sounds like a Disco dance, it's not, it's a lung infection that's developed from being constantly exposed to a fungus in the air created by dust around agriculural and construction areas. It is is prevelant in the Arizona desert because of all the dust we have here.

Here's more information on it.
Valley Fever - What is Valley Fever

Old 08-30-2007, 02:09 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,965,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Valley Fever - Although it sounds like a Disco dance, it's not, it's a lung infection that's developed from being constantly exposed to a fungus in the air created by dust around agriculural and construction areas. It is is prevelant in the Arizona desert because of all the dust we have here.

Here's more information on it.
Valley Fever - What is Valley Fever

Speaking of this how strange, my 20 year old son called me today complaining about having these Valley Fever symptoms. He lives in Tempe. Oh brother!

Old 08-30-2007, 04:51 PM

551 posts, read 2,727,992 times
I think a lot of people came out to the Phoenix area in the last 5 years or so because they had heard that it was a nice place where there were lots of jobs available, not too much traffic, clear air and very inexpensive housing.

Unfortunately, now that so many people have moved out here, most of this has changed as a result, which leads to more and more people complaining about how Phoenix is now.

Maybe it's just time to find the next utopia and move along? :-)

Old 08-30-2007, 05:03 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,088,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgchomes View Post
I grew up in Tucson, moved to Phoenix, AZ for 10 years, then East TN for 5 years and just moved up to NE PA a month ago for work, but I still miss AZ, everything is so convenient and nice & new. The roads in NE PA are terrible and I have snow to look forward to I hope to move to the Austin outlying Areas or somewhere closer to AZ in a couple of years; I do miss the west, but Phoenix has gotten too big. I like a smaller town feeling. Any thoughts on where to move.
What about southern Colorado, I heard that was nice.?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,704,782 times
Sure there are problems, but as hot as it gets, it isn't worse than some weather elsewhere. I moved from Washington DC, and if you think muggy summers aren't bad, think again. Same goes for bugs, mold, mildew, allergies, you name it. I made a promise to myself that I was going somewhere warm and dry, and I did. There are many things I don't like about the Valley, many things. But, there are many things I do like also, and one of those is the weather. It is hot, but not that bad. I suppose it would be worse for someone who worked outside or had to spend a lot of time outdoors.

You should do research for any move.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:03 AM

63 posts, read 265,088 times
Default My honest opinion of Phoenix area

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I have noticed how a lot of people here seem to have this very "utopic" idea about Phoenix, as if Phoenix is some kind of promised land, some place that people come to, to have this great life..so not true!
LOL! I'm afraid you're right! I think it was 'utopia' when we first moved here in 1994 - our area was smack in the middle of orange groves. Now we're just a big(ger) city, with masses incoming and masses exiting. We have all the problems of a big city - terrible freeway commutes, the job market shrinking, housing market very unstable, pollution, undocumented worker issues, scary politics, high cost of living. Yes, I said high. Not compared to LA or NY of course, but compared to lots of metropolitan areas - and it would more than likely appear outrageous to people coming here from a smaller city or town in say, the midwest.

Although our home has increased in value (almost triple what we initially paid for it), I think we would be pretty hard-pressed to sell it if we needed to. But our property taxes did go up accordingly. Our resale market here is flooded with homes that just aren't selling. However, our salaries have not gone up correspondingly, and surprisingly (or not) both of our companies have reduced our benefits packages.

Since we've been here, the weather pattern has changed - and not for the better. The summers are longer and hotter - guess Al Gore has something there. The late fall, winter and spring are indeed beautiful, and sunsets are awesome.

Movies, dry cleaning, groceries, utilities, car insurance - all going higher and higher. If you read our local newspaper, the Arizona Republic, on any sort of regular basis, you will see that the job classifieds have shrunk from about 20+ pages on Sunday to about 10 or 12. Several pages for anything in the medical profession though! Lots of jobs are posted on careerbuilder.com for this area; however, if you really look at these, you will see that many of these "ads" are 'employment agencies' based in other states - not actual companies advertising open positions here - they're fishing. Networking is a very important skill if you want to find a good job here.

In our neighborhood (and I don't think it's much different than alot of the other neighborhoods here) - my 3 neighbors across the street are from, in order, NY, Chicago, Indiana. My neighbors to the right are from Korea, we are from Southern California, and our neighbors to left - we aren't sure. They just moved in, and they are pale with no apparent sun damage on their skin, speak with an "up north accent" so Wisconsin maybe??? The people behind us are from New Jersey. Do we 'socialize' with our neighbors? Nope, not much. Unless it's to gripe about our HOA increasing our rates.

It's NOT utopia here - it's just a huge city plunked in the middle of the desert, with all the good and bad aspects that are attached to that label. We have good shopping, fine dining, close proximity to various recreational activities. Some of our school districts are great, some suck. And even schools within the same district can vary from poor to A+.

If you are looking to escape cold weather, think twice before you replace it with relentlessly hot weather. If you are looking for a "deal" on a house, research the market/area/traffic/job possibilities VERY thoroughly before you decide where to buy. If you are looking for a sense of 'community', realize that you may not find what you are 'used to' here. And as for the drivers here - Arizona has a driver's handbook they give out when you take the driving test - it outlines all of AZ's driving laws. People skim it, get their license, then drive EXACTLY like they did in their home state.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:27 PM

220 posts, read 649,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Phoenix will be way different than 10 years ago.
I have been visiting my family here for weeks at a time, its really not so different than it was 10 years ago, save maybe more transplants than there were back then.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:51 PM

461 posts, read 1,810,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoenlacabeza View Post
I have been visiting my family here for weeks at a time, its really not so different than it was 10 years ago, save maybe more transplants than there were back then.
Sorry to go off topic and I can't comment on your post (I don't yet live in AZ), I just wanted to tell you I love your user name - locoenlacabeza. I saw another one somewhere that made me laugh too - cacadelamenta!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:13 AM

124 posts, read 413,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterburn View Post
LOL! I'm afraid you're right! I think it was 'utopia' when we first moved here in 1994 - our area was smack in the middle of orange groves. Now we're just a big(ger) city, with masses incoming and masses exiting. We have all the problems of a big city - terrible freeway commutes, the job market shrinking, housing market very unstable, pollution, undocumented worker issues, scary politics, high cost of living. Yes, I said high. Not compared to LA or NY of course, but compared to lots of metropolitan areas - and it would more than likely appear outrageous to people coming here from a smaller city or town in say, the midwest.

Although our home has increased in value (almost triple what we initially paid for it), I think we would be pretty hard-pressed to sell it if we needed to. But our property taxes did go up accordingly. Our resale market here is flooded with homes that just aren't selling. However, our salaries have not gone up correspondingly, and surprisingly (or not) both of our companies have reduced our benefits packages.

Since we've been here, the weather pattern has changed - and not for the better. The summers are longer and hotter - guess Al Gore has something there. The late fall, winter and spring are indeed beautiful, and sunsets are awesome.

Movies, dry cleaning, groceries, utilities, car insurance - all going higher and higher. If you read our local newspaper, the Arizona Republic, on any sort of regular basis, you will see that the job classifieds have shrunk from about 20+ pages on Sunday to about 10 or 12. Several pages for anything in the medical profession though! Lots of jobs are posted on careerbuilder.com for this area; however, if you really look at these, you will see that many of these "ads" are 'employment agencies' based in other states - not actual companies advertising open positions here - they're fishing. Networking is a very important skill if you want to find a good job here.

In our neighborhood (and I don't think it's much different than alot of the other neighborhoods here) - my 3 neighbors across the street are from, in order, NY, Chicago, Indiana. My neighbors to the right are from Korea, we are from Southern California, and our neighbors to left - we aren't sure. They just moved in, and they are pale with no apparent sun damage on their skin, speak with an "up north accent" so Wisconsin maybe??? The people behind us are from New Jersey. Do we 'socialize' with our neighbors? Nope, not much. Unless it's to gripe about our HOA increasing our rates.

It's NOT utopia here - it's just a huge city plunked in the middle of the desert, with all the good and bad aspects that are attached to that label. We have good shopping, fine dining, close proximity to various recreational activities. Some of our school districts are great, some suck. And even schools within the same district can vary from poor to A+.

If you are looking to escape cold weather, think twice before you replace it with relentlessly hot weather. If you are looking for a "deal" on a house, research the market/area/traffic/job possibilities VERY thoroughly before you decide where to buy. If you are looking for a sense of 'community', realize that you may not find what you are 'used to' here. And as for the drivers here - Arizona has a driver's handbook they give out when you take the driving test - it outlines all of AZ's driving laws. People skim it, get their license, then drive EXACTLY like they did in their home state.
This is very true! and for the person who said AZ hasnt changed in the last 10years are you kidding me! Az has changed so much I remember holding my hand out the window when I would drive to feel the change in air driving by a big shopping center and it would be so Hot then you would pass a big field or orange groves and it would be so cold all those orange groves and fields are almost gone I dont hold my hand out the window anymore. And thats just one of the things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area