Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:05 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Mel's Diner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mel's Diner

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mel′s Diner is the setting for the 1976−1985 American TV series Alice. It is a fictional roadside diner on the outskirts of Phoenix, Arizona, that serves locals and truckers. It has a counter, two large booths and a couple of tables. Although one of the three waitresses, Alice, is the main character, the show revolves around all of the waitresses and Mel Sharples, the owner and cook. Most scenes of the show take place in the diner as well. The diner setting is so intertwined with the show that the series itself is often referred to erroneously as "Mel's Diner".
The outside shot of the diner's sign with the giant coffee cup sometimes seen in the opening credits of Alice is of a real Mel's Diner (1747 NW Grand Avenue) in Phoenix. The sign was seen by a producer scouting Phoenix for an establishing shot. It had been "Chris’ Diner" but the owner agreed to change the name to "Mel’s" for the show and is called the same to this day.
In Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, the movie on which the series Alice was based, the restaurant is called "Mel & Ruby's Cafe" located in Tucson, Arizona.

And that's the place I remember seeing. Apparently the diner is still there, according to Yelp. Not sure about the sign. The pictures I see now look different than I remember it looking in the past, or on the credits for the show... but as this thread indicates, I could be wrong.

Last edited by observer53; 04-21-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 11:38 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
All I can say is "Kiss my Grits".

Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 PM

285 posts, read 904,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
And that's the place I remember seeing. Apparently the diner is still there, according to Yelp. Not sure about the sign. The pictures I see now look different than I remember it looking in the past, or on the credits for the show... but as this thread indicates, I could be wrong.
From the opening credits (kudos to YouTube) and then a street level view from Google Earth, taken 5/13

There is a page devoted to Alice and the history of Mels Diner at ALICE - Real Mel's Diner
Attached Thumbnails
Is there really a Mel's Diner in Phoenix?-mels-diner1.jpg   Is there really a Mel's Diner in Phoenix?-mels-diner2.jpg  

Old 07-16-2014, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,984 times
YES there is a Mel's Diner in Phoenix. It has the big Coffee Cup sign outside and is filled with Alice doesn't live here anymore memorabilia. I eat there a few times a year and it is a lot of fun and the food is good.

Not the best part of town but not terrible. Kinda run down but Ya it's a must go to if you remember the TV Show.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:56 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB2190 View Post
YES there is a Mel's Diner in Phoenix. It has the big Coffee Cup sign outside and is filled with Alice doesn't live here anymore memorabilia. I eat there a few times a year and it is a lot of fun and the food is good.

Not the best part of town but not terrible. Kinda run down but Ya it's a must go to if you remember the TV Show.
Let me guess.

If this place resembles anything of the old TV show Mel must have told you to stow it, Flo told you to kiss her grits, Vera spilled food on you, and Alice walked in late and got yelled at by Mel.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:20 PM

296 posts, read 364,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Let me guess.

If this place resembles anything of the old TV show Mel must have told you to stow it, Flo told you to kiss her grits, Vera spilled food on you, and Alice walked in late and got yelled at by Mel.
It would be so awesome if it was one of those restaurants where the staff is in character. No indication that it is though. So sad, but it still looks like a fun place to pop into.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:33 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
From the opening credits (kudos to YouTube) and then a street level view from Google Earth, taken 5/13

There is a page devoted to Alice and the history of Mels Diner at ALICE - Real Mel's Diner
I worked in that area in the late 60s and I could swear the name of that place was The Coffee Cup. I could be wrong though.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:39 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,909,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenW View Post
It would be so awesome if it was one of those restaurants where the staff is in character. No indication that it is though. So sad, but it still looks like a fun place to pop into.
the wait staff are in character of Russian and Hispanic women, so no southern "kiss my grits"

Old 08-06-2014, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,824 times
Default Mel's Diner is still open

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Old thread, I know.

Does anyone know if Mel's Diner is still open? I have found some places online that say yes and some say no.
My wife and I went to lunch there today. And, unlike the food that was a continuing joke in the show, the food at Mel's Diner today is very good traditional diner fare at really good prices.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:37 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
I had friends in from out of town this past weekend, and we went to Mel's Diner for breakfast on the way to the airport. The food was really good and really inexpensive. My friends commented that this should be a tradition, to eat there on the way to the airport (it's a short drive from there)

I had the veggie omelet and hashbrowns.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area