Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:08 PM

16 posts, read 47,095 times

Advertisements

We don't have any children yet and we live very central in Houston. I do not want to have to drive more then 30 mins to work. My husband is being transferred to work in the Biltmore area. I am in the hotel industry so I am guessing I will work central as well. I think we might rent at first.

I need help where shall we rent? If we buy it will have to be under 400K

Should we even make this move?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 05:15 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,462,332 times
Keep mind that many of the largest resorts and hotels are in Scottsdale and northeast Phoenix. As a result, there's no guarantee that your work would be in a central location. Still, living centrally makes somes sense since your commute would be in the opposite direction of heavy traffic. The Biltmore area is very nice, although you're unlikely to find a house there for under $400k. Renting or buying a condo would be an option. Attractive areas near Biltmore include Arcadia and North Central Phoenix. If you choose to live farther out than those areas, you'll probably want to know where you are working first.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:31 PM

that being the case.....and where the resorts are and where my husband is going to work. What about Mesa?

Is that a commute to central phoenix or scottsdale?

Old 08-30-2007, 05:39 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,462,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karistx View Post
that being the case.....and where the resorts are and where my husband is going to work. What about Mesa?

Is that a commute to central phoenix or scottsdale?
Not a commute that I would recommend. It would probably be more than 30 minutes to either location. A lot would depend on where in Mesa. Mesa is huge (as are Phoenix and Scottsdale).

Old 08-30-2007, 05:45 PM

We live 5 mins from downtown house....what about downtown Phoenix?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 PM

124 posts, read 413,696 times
Like the first person said all the hotels are going to be in the Biltmore and Scottsdale area but finding a home under 400k is probably not to likley. I think condos in Scottsdale are starting in the 250k range Im sure the Biltmore is similiar. Mesa has good and bad areas East Mesa is good but you will probably have a 30 - 45 min commute depending on what times you will be traveling if its a typical 8-5 job just depend on the longest commute time if its earlier or later you should be ok with a 20-30 min drive. Hopefully that helps

Old 08-31-2007, 11:14 AM

202 posts, read 981,942 times
If you want a cheap home that isn't in the ghetto, you are going to have to drive at least 30 minutes.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:03 AM

6 posts, read 23,459 times
Hi karistx! My husband and I are planning the same move-we actually live in Kingwood right now and are moving to Phoenix- no kids either! Maybe we should start a moving from TX club .

My husband will be commuting to the PHX airport, so we are looking at north Glendale. I like the area as it is more affordable than Scottsdale, but still has good shopping/restaurants/etc. The drive is 30-40 minutes to the airport.

Good luck with your move!

Old 09-02-2007, 11:33 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,176,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breyau View Post
Hi karistx! My husband and I are planning the same move-we actually live in Kingwood right now and are moving to Phoenix- no kids either! Maybe we should start a moving from TX club .

My husband will be commuting to the PHX airport, so we are looking at north Glendale. I like the area as it is more affordable than Scottsdale, but still has good shopping/restaurants/etc. The drive is 30-40 minutes to the airport.

Good luck with your move!
Does he have to commute there during rush hour? It does take 30 mins during NON rush hour, but during rush hour it would be closer to an hour.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:58 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Does he have to commute there during rush hour? It does take 30 mins during NON rush hour, but during rush hour it would be closer to an hour.
And sablebaby knows of what she speaks of------trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area