Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:38 AM

824 posts, read 2,338,159 times

Advertisements

"If you would like stats on a net worth of a "renter" vs. a homeowner at the end of a 5 year period, email me and I will show you some mind blowing statistics."

Here are the net worth-related stats on AZJAck and the person who purchased his Surprise house in Fall '05.

AZJack - avoided $75,000 drop in house's value.

2005 buyer - has lost $75,000 in value (so far).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 02:06 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,791,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
"If you would like stats on a net worth of a "renter" vs. a homeowner at the end of a 5 year period, email me and I will show you some mind blowing statistics."

Here are the net worth-related stats on AZJAck and the person who purchased his Surprise house in Fall '05.

AZJack - avoided $75,000 drop in house's value.

2005 buyer - has lost $75,000 in value (so far).
AzJack, you are absolutely right with that statistic. You were fortunate to have sold at the right time.

The market at that time was at an unrealistic high point, which was a dangerous time to buy. As we all know, it is in a correction stage and moving back toward normal.

If people buying during that time are planning to, or must move, either they or their lender will take a large hit. No doubt about it.

But take a long term approach toward real estate ownership, with the tax write off of interest deductions and the long term appreciation, and the results will be different.

I bought my first house in 1963. For the homes that I've lived in, I subsequently traded up through 3 homes to my last home in California which I purchased in 1974 for $88,000. It is on the market today for 1,299,000. What would I have gained had I been renting all those years? (Of course I've refinanced through the years and have a large mortgage now, but I used the money for other things including the down payment in 2004 on my Gilbert home)

History has shown that home ownership is one of the best investments that can be made. But it cannot be treated like the stock market and day traded, unless one is an experienced property investor and can expect an occasional loss.

Bill

Old 12-01-2007, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 11,142 times
Default thanks Capt Bill

Az jack it is no secret that if you bought in any time in 05' you are upside down in equity. We need to move past that time, get over it...
The statistics for a 5 year net worth are based on a traditional market with normal average numbers. was 05' a traditional year in real estate? LOL.

Move on people... rates are good and homes are affordable. Surprise long term will be fine.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:36 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,613,701 times
And everyone knows that the market will not stay down. If you bought in 2005 and owe more then your home is worth then you have no choice but to ride to the storm.

Anyways, Everything is Surprise's future is looking great. Hold on to your homes. They will swing back.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:12 PM

"Az jack it is no secret that if you bought in any time in 05' you are upside down in equity. We need to move past that time, get over it...
The statistics for a 5 year net worth are based on a traditional market with normal average numbers. was 05' a traditional year in real estate? LOL.

Move on people... rates are good and homes are affordable. Surprise long term will be fine."

Translation: ignore the NAR garbage that urged people to buy now or be priced out forever , and its consequences of foreclosures, bankruptcies, vacant houses, and ultimately decaying neighborhoods. Ignore all that stuff, we are just back to normal. The honest Lawrence Yun and David Lereah told me so.

The example that I gave is but one. How many $50k, $100K, $200K underwater buyers or HELOCERS are out there in Arizona today? A heck of a lot more than any realtor's organization will admit to. But who cares, the people on the street are finally understanding the difference between reality and spin. Why? Because reality is smacking them across the head, and so they have no choice.

Tax revenues statewide are dropping even faster than house prices. Cutbacks in police patrols to come, toss in a bunch of empty houses, job losses from the slowing economy, and maybe a few more meth labs for good measure. Yes, it is a wonderful blessing that the Roaring 2000s has brought us here in AZ.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,071 times
I own a home in Surprise. The only thing that bothers me is all of the Californians invading the city. They are welcome in my honest opinion but what troubles me is that they bring their liberal politics with them and start implementing them on those of us who live in Arizona. For instance, the smoking ban, I don't smoke but I feel that if you want to go out to a tavern and have s smoke with a beer, light up. Also the vegans who try to make us feel as though its wrong to eat a cheeseburger. Then we have the higher taxes and the smog control and the special gasoline which costs more. You guys have bought into the global warming hoax so much you are making the rest of us sick. You people scare me. I love Surprise, I just don't want it messed up.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinella View Post
I own a home in Surprise. The only thing that bothers me is all of the Californians invading the city. They are welcome in my honest opinion but what troubles me is that they bring their liberal politics with them and start implementing them on those of us who live in Arizona. For instance, the smoking ban, I don't smoke but I feel that if you want to go out to a tavern and have s smoke with a beer, light up. Also the vegans who try to make us feel as though its wrong to eat a cheeseburger. Then we have the higher taxes and the smog control and the special gasoline which costs more. You guys have bought into the global warming hoax so much you are making the rest of us sick. You people scare me. I love Surprise, I just don't want it messed up.

That is funny Spinella, I am leaving California because of the liberal politics. Was thinking that Arizona was more conservative but with the talk about how people dislike Sherriff Joe I am thinking that many in AZ are also liberal. Also John McCain isn't the most Conservative guy in the room. I do love Surprise though. I don't drink or smoke but think others should have the right to do what they want.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:52 PM

The smoking restrictions are statewide and were passed as part of a November 2006 ballot proposition.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,526 times
we are also looking for houses in surprise farm, love the yorkshire of Richmond,,glad to hear positive feedbacks from you guys, bec i have the same thoughts, same question..but i have 3 kids, any good sch at athe area? thanks

Old 07-06-2008, 09:04 AM

307 posts, read 954,863 times
Default I'm a Surprise resident!

My family and I have lived in Surprise since 1998...

We've seen it grow and can only say it should continue on it's current path to becoming...

just like its neighbor, Peoria!

In other words, if you look at the fact that we have a Spring Training facility, two main arteries (Grand Ave & Bell Rd), and will soon have a big mall, adjacent freeway (303 eventually), and nearby autoplex (303 Automall); the "formula" seems to be there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area