Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 PM

611 posts, read 2,309,932 times

Advertisements

One thing you may be missing is schools. Are you planning to have children?

A news article in The Peoria Republic recently reported, "The Peoria Unified School District came out on top of recent AIMS test results, with district passing averages surpassing state averages in every category."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 05:53 PM

186 posts, read 570,686 times
while I can't answer all of your questions, I can tell you that the job market there is HOT and pays well and the cost of living is rising but still more affordable than other places in the country. Too bad you didn't move there and buy a house in 2002 because I bought a nice home in a good area for only $130k and it doubled in value by 2006. My taxes were only 1,060 per year.

You'll get hit hard on your registration for a vehicle, several hundred $$$ every year but it goes down as your car gets older. Newer = more $$ to register. I have recently moved out of AZ because I hated it but if you like sun and warm weather, you'll like it

Old 09-08-2007, 02:13 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,793,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesswin View Post
JMXQuote:
Originally Posted by tesswin
Taxes: how do you not pay social security? it's mandatory in Fl

Where did you hear that? Arizonans have to pay Social Security taxes just like everyone else in the country.

Found this on the City of Mesa Police Dept's web site...so SS is optional then?

"The City of Mesa does not take Social Security out of the paychecks for police officers. This gives you more take home pay."
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
I bet the SSA would be interested in that. I also hope those officers are paying in on their own or that they are fully aware they are not paying into SS and medicare (if I remember correctly).
It's True. They opted in (or out, depending on your point of view) many years ago. That loophole (option) was closed in the late 1970's or very early 80's but agencies which chose not to pay social security were allowed to remain outside. Phoenix PD also didn't have to pay in. Tempe PD, DPS, and most others do. I never bothered to read up on the details because at the time I worked for Tempe (and later DPS) and it didn't apply to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area