Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM

24 posts, read 39,110 times

Advertisements

Hi again,

BTW, thanks to those who have responded to my earlier post about Scottsdale. All advice is helpful at this point.

What about Mesa, AZ though? What are your opinions about the quality of life for a family with two young girls in the public school system? I want what most other families want -- safe neighborhoods, low crime, good schools ..... not too much to ask, right

Anyhow, any info on Mesa, AZ would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks All!

Elizabeth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 03:58 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,140,727 times
I live in Mesa and think the schools are good. I'm in north Mesa, in a nice part. Parts in southern and central Mesa are often lower income. I think the access is pretty good from here, with the 202.

I mention this often because it's a real issue for some, but parts of Mesa are high in LDS families. What I find most people in my area worry about with that is that their kids will be left out due to religious cliques though there are also often recruitment concerns. If I could do it again I'd probably pick a different city but it's not bad enough for me to pluck my kid out of school and move. And I'm in a very LDS neighborhood so other neighborhoods might have much less of a concern. I've heard it's the whole Mountain View H.S. area. I might look in Red Mountain H.S area instead. Both are excellent schools.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:55 PM

363 posts, read 931,750 times
We purchased our home in Mesa, right off Signal Butte in one of the new(2007) developments. 60 and 202 are just a hop away, not to mention Mesa Gateway airport which can be reached in 10 minutes. There's great shopping nearby... Wal-Mart, best buy, movie theater, etc etc... Our 4th grader goes to an elementary that it's pretty highly scored on great schools and school digger. She was homeschooled in Montana, so the public system is a breeze for her and could have been easily placed in 6th grade but her principle was against it. The neighborhood is very quiet and somewhat snobbish, but we are the newcomers and got our home for half of the price they paid($500k-$600k original prices). There are two LDS churches within a 5 mile radius and frankly I don't think anyone bothered my wife since October... Since October home building projects are back up and running, I see a new home every time I visit Mesa(monthly). So, as per my .2 cents, Mesa has been great to us and hopefully it will be great to you as well.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:15 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,342,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gengegals3 View Post
Hi again,

BTW, thanks to those who have responded to my earlier post about Scottsdale. All advice is helpful at this point.

What about Mesa, AZ though? What are your opinions about the quality of life for a family with two young girls in the public school system? I want what most other families want -- safe neighborhoods, low crime, good schools ..... not too much to ask, right

Thanks All!

Elizabeth
I think you could a lot better than Mesa. Besides Scottsdale I would easily consider Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, Goodyear, North Phoenix and Surprise before Mesa. I think there are some nice neighborhoods in Mesa but I would recommend these other places first.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,247,150 times
Mesa is a huge city, parts of which are a bit shabby and other parts which have million dollar plus homes.

As another poster pointed out, there is very good shopping and freeway access, (including in the nicer areas).

I think east Mesa is lovely, (including NE and SE Mesa), as well as the orange grove area.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:34 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,809,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gengegals3 View Post

I believe you can find all that in north east Mesa. The Red Mountain school district in north east Mesa has a good reputation. Within that district, in north east Mesa, there are several very nice communities. There is Las Sendas which is a very popular community in the foothills of the Usury Mountains and backs up to the Tonto National Forest. Most all the sub-communities within Las Sendas are gated, and there is a clubhouse with swimming pool and tennis courts. There is also a health facility with work out facilities, etc for an extra fee.

• It's a golf community, but several of my clients who bought there don't play golf. They loved the location and the community.
  • It's by the north loop of the 202 for a fast commute to the airport, or to downtown Phoenix and Scottsdale.
  • The prices range from around $200k to $2mil.
Just to the south of Las Sendas is Mountain Bridge, a very nice new community developed by Blandford, who also developed Las Sendas.

As you know, there is no area free of crime. Gilbert has the lowest crime rate in AZ. However, the area in north east Mesa is also very low. Here is a crime map where you can check any area. Arizona Crime Search - Crime In Arizona - Phoenix Crime Search - azcentral.com

Las Sendas is located in the north east corner of where the loop 202 begins to turn from north to west. You'll probably see Eagle Crest Drive, which goes around Las Sendas on the north side. You'll recognize Las Sendas by that street and the golf course.

In the crime map you'll notice that that area is very low in crime rate. As I zeroed in on that zip code 85207, I saw, during the past 6 months, a family fight, one burglary, and several vehicle thefts.

Vehicle thefts are usually a crime of opportunity. Someone will park their car outside and not have it locked, or in many cases, leave the key in it. I've seen that happen twice in my community during the past 5 years.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 AM

1,553 posts, read 3,658,350 times
I just moved to East Mesa last June and I couldn't be happier. The area is beautiful, so far all the people have been awesome except one guy at Fry's Marketplace in AJ, I'm very close to all the lakes and there is abundant retail and eateries close by.
Far less expensive than Scottsdale. I personally think Mesa, particularly east Mesa has a lot to offer.
I'm thrilled to have had the opportunity to move here.
There are certain parts of Mesa that I don't care for but the east side is awesome.
Check out North East Mesa along McDowell or Brown. Lots of very nice new homes in that area.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:47 AM

19,461 posts, read 27,964,639 times
Another vote for East Mesa, though I won't agree that it's as convenient to restaurants, shops, etc. A bit more isolated than Chandler, Gilbert or Scottsdale, IMO. That said, housing is also cheaper and the feeling of wide open spaces still exists. I can't say that for Chandler or Gilbert, and in Scottsdale that would cost me bundles and bundles.

I don't live there, but I agree that Las Sendas is an outstanding community. One suggestion: don't buy south of McDowell. You want the REAL Las Sendas, not the overflow, across the road part of Las Sendas.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:51 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,809,453 times
Default General Motors Proving Grounds Project

I might add that east Mesa, as well as the east valley cities of Mesa, Gilbert, and Chandler, and to a lesser degree, other areas of the metro area, will continue to prosper because of the General Motors Proving Grounds Project which is scheduled to begin by the end of this year and will provide around 100,000 jobs.

It's a huge project, and all those who are interested in learning more about it's economic impact on the area should read the project information.

DMB - Mesa Proving Grounds Project

Board OKs housing project for GM proving-ground site

Old 01-11-2012, 12:59 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,140,727 times
Quote:
That said, housing is also cheaper and the feeling of wide open spaces still exists.
That is a nice thing about north Mesa. Most of the land north of Mesa is national forest or reservation.

Las Sendas and also Red Mountain Ranch are nice communities. If you like the 'no HOA' scene, there are plenty of those around, too. Though the newer neighborhoods will pretty much all have HOAs.

I'm in a 'retail black hole'... Lindsay/McDowell area, but that's largely because of that vast expanse of nothingness to the north. For a mall or Costco, it's about 10 miles. When you get closer to Power Rd., you gain a ton of retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area