Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:24 AM

283 posts, read 990,893 times

Advertisements

YOU'RE ONLY #6 (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/05/15/miami_tops_rude_drivers_list_again/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 10:33 AM

508 posts, read 1,674,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
One thing I have Not noticed here is motorcycles weaving through and between cars during heavy-bumper to bumper traffic (meaning they never stop during traffic...they just thread their way through). All bike riders do it in California....even the CHP Bikes.
Thats because it is legal to split lanes in CA - not in AZ.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:52 AM

67 posts, read 303,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I think you nailed it right on the head! It never really occured to me before...
I think what they need is 3 separate lanes on each road; one for natives, second one for East Coast transplants and the third one is for West Coast transplants like myself.

I couldn't agree more. What splendid idea.

And on main roads let's have a lane just for big SUVS with multi-tasking drivers who seem to not see that there is a red light or that a car is in front of them. Maybe it's beacuse they are on their cell phones while eating breakfast.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:55 AM

34 posts, read 44,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NezzaBlue View Post
I couldn't agree more. What splendid idea.

And on main roads let's have a lane just for big SUVS with multi-tasking drivers who seem to not see that there is a red light or that a car is in front of them. Maybe it's beacuse they are on their cell phones while eating breakfast.
We should create a city just for them so they can crash into each other and leave the rest of us alone. Oh wait a minute, that's already been done, it's called Scottsdale

Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 AM

67 posts, read 303,696 times
I'm waiting for Az to ban cell phones while driving like they did in Connecticut and New York, where i "transplanted" from.

Also, I noticed on the news the number of fatal accidents Phoenix has. Possibly due to the high speed limits, but I also think it has to do with the bad drivers.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I'm waiting for Az to ban cell phones while driving like they did in Connecticut and New York, where i "transplanted" from.

Also, I noticed on the news the number of fatal accidents Phoenix has. Possibly due to the high speed limits, but I also think it has to do with the bad drivers.
It's not the high speed limits, they are common in most of the country (AZ doesn't have high limits; the northeast has artificially low limits, hence your perception) and other states do not have the death toll that Phoenix has. It comes down to bad driving and the insistence on dialing cell phones while driving certainly is a part of it.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:26 PM

8,331 posts, read 13,467,752 times
Amen to no cell phone while driving but also I would have to say NO to red light runners and illegal lane changing drivers are at the top of my list as far as bad drivers go.
There are many fast drivers in CA and the only really bad accident I have were caused by people making illegal lane changes or running a red light or stop sign, and those do not happen as much as I see here.
Especially the stop signs are a joke to many...shame.

Side collision from the driver side caused by a red light runner is one of the worst. Just the shock alone could screw some people up pretty bad.

I think most people get cocky and take advantage like that due to lack of police presence on the streets and most cops drive faster and disappear where cops in CA will go at a speed where they can scan the vehicles around them.

Fines could be increased to a point where people will remember how much it hurts after getting a ticket. Especially red light runners should be penalized so bad that even their kids would be scared to run a red light!

If a driver gets a ticket in TX, the fine from the city/county will show up after a week or two but the real kicker is after another week or so, another fine for the same amount from the State of TX will come, double-whammy!

By increasing the fines and hitting bad drivers/speeders with juicy amounts, the State might ease up on the registeration fees a bit, or at least finish those darn road constructions a bit faster!!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:34 PM

376 posts, read 490,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Side collision from the driver side caused by a red light runner is one of the worst. Just the shock alone could screw some people up pretty bad.

Fines could be increased to a point where people will remember how much it hurts after getting a ticket. Especially red light runners should be penalized so bad that even their kids would be scared to run a red light!

By increasing the fines and hitting bad drivers/speeders with juicy amounts, the State might ease up on the registeration fees a bit, or at least finish those darn road constructions a bit faster!!
I was in such a collision. A man decided to run a red light. He hit me going 45 and totalled my car. I was severly hurt. I still suffer from this accident. Running red lights occurs so often in my area, that one day without it hasn't been seen.

I think red light running should be a HUGE fine. EVERYONE here runs the red. It is so dangerous.

However, they will never finish the road construction. I have been here over 20 years. They will just rip up a street to give these guys a paycheck. It will never end. Everytime I think that they will be done, there is yet another street getting ripped up-or the same street over and over again. It is such a waste!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 AM

Friendly people and good drivers can be found in parts of the Valley but not in Scottsdale or the immediate surrounding area. It's full of the most rude angry mean wannabe-snob people anywhere.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:56 AM

27,360 posts, read 27,411,236 times
Quote:
Brakes, Blinkers, and speed limits in parking lots?
Sorry, in Phoenix and other cities in metro Phx, no, theres no such thing. Not that its not everywhere, Phx metro tops them.
Heck, I was yelled at by some lady in a bigger truck than me, because I was patiently waiting for someone to back out of a parking spot, in a parking lot. My turn signal was flashing, I was waiting. As she was yelling at me and going around me, she was so occupied in that, and hit the car that was backing out. I simply smiled and said under my breath 'have a good day'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: