Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:29 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times

Advertisements

Arizona Republic special report: Air Pollution in Arizona

The Republic is running a special report on air quality this week. So far, it seems to be setting an agenda by calling for more government intervention to reduce the problem. Here's the thing that many people don't realize: no matter how many regulations are in place, and regardless how intrusive the EPA becomes, Phoenix will always have an issue with air pollution. Why is this? Things like geography and weather are huge factors.

The Phoenix metro area sits in a huge valley surrounded by mountains. When you have an endless amount of days with NO RAIN, and clear calm conditions, the dirty air caused by dust and other particulates such as industrial pollution become trapped. Too many people move here because it's sunny and dry ... however, the constant sunny, dry weather is a huge factor for why we have a problem with air quality.

The months of December through March typically bring a good share of precipitation on average ... however, when there is a presence of La Niña, which often brings drier than normal conditions and all that "wonderful sunshine", what often comes with it is that annoying brown haze that causes breathing problems. Two years ago when we had a somewhat wetter than normal winter, we hardly had any days with bad air quality.

So the only real solution is to hope and pray for more wet storm systems to move through and clean out the air. People simply don't look at the big picture enough. Sure, all this sunshine and nice temperatures might be pleasant to deal with at the moment, but the lack of moisture is causing other problems that might not be so noticeable until later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,870,002 times
The air quality this winter in Phx has been BRUTAL. The brown smog cloud that sits over the valley can be seen as you drive into Phx and it is very noticeable.

It is due inversion. Nothing can be done about it.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Except the wind that many complain about. Wind/rain are natures broom for the air blowing all that trapped haze to CA or Tucson who need it much more than we do.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I also think it adds to sinus problems for people prone to such maladies (me). I am back on antibiotics which most people say doesn't help, but it helps me. What can we do? How about a plastic dome over the valley which has mini sprinklers in the top to clear out the smog? LOL

Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I just saw where January was the third warmest and tied for the driest on record. Just what we don't need.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:49 AM

603 posts, read 946,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I also think it adds to sinus problems for people prone to such maladies (me). I am back on antibiotics which most people say doesn't help, but it helps me. What can we do? How about a plastic dome over the valley which has mini sprinklers in the top to clear out the smog? LOL
It's mainly the ozone in the air that's doing the most damage. The "brown cloud" is bad too, but you can get some HEPA air purifiers for your home and that'll keep things under control. However, the ozone is invisible, gets worse the closer you live to major roads or freeways, and is tougher to remove from the air.

The only thing you can do reduce ozone levels is stricter vehicle emission controls, but we won't see much support for that out here until the tourists start complaining about getting asthma.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:12 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Whatever it is in the air; it's making me sick as well. I'm pretty sure because at night went I'm out and about I don't cough nearly as much.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:00 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,870,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Whatever it is in the air; it's making me sick as well. I'm pretty sure because at night went I'm out and about I don't cough nearly as much.
The air quality is bad but the city downplays it because they don't want to lose the snowbirds and tourists. It always comes down to $$$$$. The air is horrendous in the valley during most of the winter season. When summer comes, the inversion is not as bad but the heat and pollution takes over and the summer season air becomes just as toxic.

There is no doubt that breathing the garbage air in Phx over years will eventually cause lung problems or even cancer. Especially in those people who are older and have their immune systems compromised.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:18 PM

603 posts, read 946,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Yeah, my wife and I started noticing it towards the end of 2010. Whenever we were going out hiking at the mountain preserve we would get bad headaches a few hours later. Starting this past summer, we noticed headaches and coughing would start after just spending an hour or so outdoors, even just going shopping or out to eat.

We try to get out of town on the weekends. The headaches and cough goes away when we do.
We're also considering an IQ air purifier, but those things are god-awful expensive. Especially the ones that remove ozone.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:10 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Definitely nothing new . . .

Back in the mid 90's when I was planning to relocate from Northern California to Arizona, top of the list of reasons I chose Tucson over the Phoenix area was the better weather and the healthier air quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area