Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 10:16 PM

270 posts, read 1,109,617 times

Advertisements

I am thinking to get a motorcycle for my nephew (18yo) when he lives with me to go to Chandler-Gilbert College Williams Field Campus. I live near the Superstition Springs Mall and the trip from home to school is estimated to be 30 minutes along the secondary roads. (No Rt60 nor 202)

He isn't considering a car because he can not afford one. So we thought perhaps a motorcycle would be enough to take him to and from school. I am clueless about motorcycles. Is there anyone knows which kind/brand is the best for our climate here? He will use this bike during the school year, Sep - May.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 06:33 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
Does your nephew have experience with motorcycles? At that age I would probably make him take a safety class:

Phoenix, Arizona Motorcycle Safety Courses at DMV.org: The Unofficial MVD Guide

Something else to consider is getting a scooter instead.

Motorcycle vs. Scooter Comparison - Motorcycle USA

Scooter or Motorcycle? Which is right for you? - Scooter Focus - All about Scooters

Are you looking for new or used? If used Craigslist is a great resource. But do your research first. A few years ago I was considering a Honda Rebel. It is a good intro bike and commuter. Kawasaki makes something similar. I ended up buying a bicycle instead. Please don't take my recommendation and just buy a Rebel. Do some research.

Talk with some of the dealers in the valley.

RideNow Powersports in Arizona, Nevada, Florida, North Carolina, Texas and Washington carry new and pre-owned Harley-Davidson®, Spyder, Polaris, Lehman Trikes, Yamaha, BMW, Kawasaki, Victory, Suzuki, KTM, Honda, Vespa, Can-Am, Ski-Doo & Sea-Doo vehic

Maricopa County New & Used Motorcycle Dealer, ATVs, UTV’s, Jet Skis, Scooters - Apache Motorcycles

North Valley Honda / Kawasaki in Phoenix, Arizona offers new and used Honda and Kawasaki vehicles, parts, accessories & maintenance.

You can find a lot more if you look. Talk, don't buy. Right now you just want to do some research.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:41 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwei View Post
I am thinking to get a motorcycle for my nephew (18yo) when he lives with me to go to Chandler-Gilbert College Williams Field Campus. I live near the Superstition Springs Mall and the trip from home to school is estimated to be 30 minutes along the secondary roads. (No Rt60 nor 202)

He isn't considering a car because he can not afford one. So we thought perhaps a motorcycle would be enough to take him to and from school. I am clueless about motorcycles. Is there anyone knows which kind/brand is the best for our climate here? He will use this bike during the school year, Sep - May.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Any brand of bike is good for Arizona.

Being a young guy, I don't imagine he wants a geezer-glider so I'd stick to looking at sport bikes. It's probably best to get something less than powerful than 650cc for insurance reasons as well as bodily safety. Of course if money is no object, I'd recommend a Hayabusa.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Not to be a downer, also consider life insurance and be sure he has top notch medical coverage.
As an "old" motorcycle rider (who didn't own a car until I was in my mid 20's and started riding at 13) I'd never ride a bike anywhere around metro Phoenix or most of the 'burbs. Maybe on rides to Flagstaff or something like that but on a daily basis around the valley?
Not with all the traffic and people who obviously (by the daily accident reports) can barely see CARS much less a bike and especially for a young person who's invincible and most likely to gas it instead of stop.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:32 AM

270 posts, read 1,109,617 times
Thanks for all the great info. I also am concerned about his safety and insurance cost. His mom thought I could do the driving while he needs to go to and from school. But I work all hours of the day, so dropping him off is no problem, it is picking him up at school that's not possible. Hence her idea of letting him ride a motorcycle. They have no idea how Phx metro traffic can get hairy. But like all of you said, I need to do my homework in order to help them.

I do like scooter since it is less likely to get too fast and it can not get on the freeway... in my mind this would be safer.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwei View Post
Thanks for all the great info. I also am concerned about his safety and insurance cost. His mom thought I could do the driving while he needs to go to and from school. But I work all hours of the day, so dropping him off is no problem, it is picking him up at school that's not possible. Hence her idea of letting him ride a motorcycle. They have no idea how Phx metro traffic can get hairy. But like all of you said, I need to do my homework in order to help them.

I do like scooter since it is less likely to get too fast and it can not get on the freeway... in my mind this would be safer.
Why not just get him a used car?! I mean a decent motorcycle is going to be around $5000, you could buy a fair car for that amount.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
More important than the type of bike is the safety gear. ALWAYS wear a helmet. ALWAYS wear a reflective vest. Then heavy jeans or riding pants, shoes, never sandals, and light gloves. With these a fall and slide are uncomfortable. Without out, even pavement rash can lead to serious injury and or infection. I know the guy is young but take it from this old rider safety gear, a motorcycle riding and safety course and always being alert are necessary if he wants to ever become an old rider.

I suggest a used motorcycle or scooter in the 300 to 650 cc range. Speed is not as much of a factor in accidents as not being seen by a car driver. My 650 Burgman scooter is capable of over 80 so not all scooters are slow.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:55 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
I'd find the money for a car.

A closed-head injury (common in motorcycle accidents) costs a lot more than even the priciest BMW's.

Check here:

Public Surplus: Motor Pool

New cars and trucks posted every day, most are in decent mechanical shape.

It's one thing to *choose* when and where to drive a motorcycle, it's another thing entirely to have that as your *only* means of transportation.

Nothing against bikes or bikers, but they just aren't as safe as a car.

Even experienced riders get mowed down by the inattentive here.

Last edited by Zippyman; 02-06-2012 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 01:00 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
I don't know a single motorcyclist who hasn't had at least one serious injury, and I know several who've died or lost limbs. I wouldn't touch a motorcycle in the city with a ten foot pole. And an 18 year old is so new to the whole driving thing, too.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:22 PM

289 posts, read 750,348 times
I don't think any motorcycles have true air conditioning on them yet. Just the old go and blow, but at 115 degrees, you can't go fast enough!!

I vote car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area