Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 03:52 PM

142 posts, read 934,088 times

Advertisements

When my dogs were healthy and young, they loved the heat. It was me that had trouble with it. Even yesterday my 15 year old shepherd wanted to walk down to the park at 3 PM. I took her down there but she couldn't make it back(the park is 2 houses down the street) because her back hips kept giving out. Soooo, I had to carry her the rest of the way, LOL!

Also, we would do evening hiking with headlamps, we'd take them to Lake Pleasant or weekend drives up to Prescott for hiking and swimming. Our lab liked to camp but I've since outgrown all that and prefer hotels. Lots of hotels take dogs now, too, so take them on vacation when you get out of the heat, too! We have quite a few neighbors who have active dogs and they all meet at the park at around 7 AM. My 15 year old dog has even made a few neighbor doggie friends since we moved in and we all take turns throwing the ball for the energetic labs and collies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 08:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,063,534 times
We take our dog out for a nice walk around 6-7 pm. All I do is put my hand on the sidewalk to be sure it's not too hot and we're off. In the morning she gets up around 5am and goes out for a bit and after I wake up fully @ around 6am I play ball in the yard with her. When it's hot we'll play with some toy in the house that she loves to chase.
Granted it's not all of the top notch exercise I'd like for her but it works for now.

As a side note, I went to watch Shutzhund training today (mostly Shepherds) and they were working 'em pretty good for a couple of hours (9am-11ish) which they do at least 2 times a week all year long and their dogs looked to be in top shape not minding the temps at all.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:56 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,798,198 times
Our Yorkie swims in our spa during the summer.

She loves to jump in as much as she loves to swim and of course loves to play fetch in the water. I believe she thinks she's a Lab

We only let her swim in the spa right now because it's small and she can easily find the step to get out. She knows she's not allowed in the pool.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:57 PM

5 posts, read 3,880 times
Pacificnwgirl here too, I see this is an outdated post from 2008 but still there are no new options here in 2016, which is sad. I noticed your answer never did get originally answered " Does anyone know of a indoor air conditioned dog park around here?" Funny you should ask cuz that was my same question a year ago when I moved here from North Bend WA. I have been getting a lot of feedback that there is a high need for such a thing, so I finally found one on Scottsdale Road towards Carefree and I was not very impressed with it at all, they had rules that you could drop your dog off there, but the only tiny little window you could watch them from they tell you to stay away from as it distracts the dogs playing on the inside. Oh ya you can upgrade and pay for the webcam option to view your pups playing too. Not to mention it wasn't a true indoor dog park at all, it had these tarps above there outdoor area that gave them shade only. Plus it mostly focused on dog boarding too.
So what I am doing is asking around to see if anyone is truly interested in a INDOOR dog park, which is identical to the outdoor dog parks we can stay with our pups but in a air conditioned facility with astro turf, doggy bags and waste stations and also readily available water basins too? Something that mirrors our outdoor dog parks but again with AIR CONDITION and INDOOR. With these hot extreme heats here in AZ, I am shocked there isn't such a thing as in the PNW we had them for our wet days, which were quite often and that wasn't detrimental for our furry friends as this heat is.
So IF you are interested in something like this please tell me if you would be willing to help me fund such a thing by it having a membership fee option, as I would surely pay for my furry pups to be refreshed and happy to play ANYTIME of the day not just in the morning or at night and this week we are looking at 115 degrees by weekend. Oy Vey!!
Thank you for your responses ahead of time I look forward to them....
Dawnzdayz

Old 06-01-2016, 02:32 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,321,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnzdayz View Post
Pacificnwgirl here too, I see this is an outdated post from 2008 but still there are no new options here in 2016, which is sad. I noticed your answer never did get originally answered " Does anyone know of a indoor air conditioned dog park around here?" Funny you should ask cuz that was my same question a year ago when I moved here from North Bend WA. I have been getting a lot of feedback that there is a high need for such a thing, so I finally found one on Scottsdale Road towards Carefree and I was not very impressed with it at all, they had rules that you could drop your dog off there, but the only tiny little window you could watch them from they tell you to stay away from as it distracts the dogs playing on the inside. Oh ya you can upgrade and pay for the webcam option to view your pups playing too. Not to mention it wasn't a true indoor dog park at all, it had these tarps above there outdoor area that gave them shade only. Plus it mostly focused on dog boarding too.
So what I am doing is asking around to see if anyone is truly interested in a INDOOR dog park, which is identical to the outdoor dog parks we can stay with our pups but in a air conditioned facility with astro turf, doggy bags and waste stations and also readily available water basins too? Something that mirrors our outdoor dog parks but again with AIR CONDITION and INDOOR. With these hot extreme heats here in AZ, I am shocked there isn't such a thing as in the PNW we had them for our wet days, which were quite often and that wasn't detrimental for our furry friends as this heat is.
So IF you are interested in something like this please tell me if you would be willing to help me fund such a thing by it having a membership fee option, as I would surely pay for my furry pups to be refreshed and happy to play ANYTIME of the day not just in the morning or at night and this week we are looking at 115 degrees by weekend. Oy Vey!!
Thank you for your responses ahead of time I look forward to them....
Dawnzdayz

What you are talking about is Doggie Daycare, which is pretty common around here (and most everywhere I think, especially places that have boarding?) that isn't really the same thing as an indoor park where you can stay with your dog.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:00 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,962,695 times
Why can't you play with them in the house? An indoor place for animals to poop, pee and shed sounds like a health issue.

Get your dog a cheap $10 plastic play pool. My dog loves hers.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:31 PM

Actually no boarding at all. Maybe down the road as an option, but for the quick time being I think a 100% mirror of an OUTDOOR Dog Park but making it an INDOOR Dog Park with AIR CONDITIONING. A Doggy Daycare would be where you would drop your dog off at, where I would like to see a dog park where the owners are responsible for their own dogs as at any other dog park. I hope that makes better sense.
I really think this would be a great idea for not only the extreme hot weather here in Arizona but for Monsoon season as well. So what do you think? Does anyone know of a great funding website I can get started to make this dream a reality for this community?

Thank you

Old 06-01-2016, 03:35 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,321,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnzdayz View Post
Actually no boarding at all. Maybe down the road as an option, but for the quick time being I think a 100% mirror of an OUTDOOR Dog Park but making it an INDOOR Dog Park with AIR CONDITIONING. A Doggy Daycare would be where you would drop your dog off at, where I would like to see a dog park where the owners are responsible for their own dogs as at any other dog park. I hope that makes better sense.
I really think this would be a great idea for not only the extreme hot weather here in Arizona but for Monsoon season as well. So what do you think? Does anyone know of a great funding website I can get started to make this dream a reality for this community?

Thank you

Yes, I understand what you are looking for and I do think it would be a good idea. What you described above that you visited was a doggie daycare, that's what I was saying.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:53 PM

Well it was meant for the dogs to play with other dogs and to stay cool while doing so, not to mention relieve themselves too as I trained my pups to NOT relieve themselves in the house. But I totally picture this facility to have a astro turf type grass so that it could possibly be sprayed off and disinfected every night too.
Plus I live in a townhome with no area to bring my dogs to during the day if they have to go to the bathroom OR get some exercise and also play with other dogs as I feel it's important for them to acclimate themselves around other dogs. My main point here is it is WAY too hot to go to any outdoor dog park around here. My poor furry black lab is miserable and the hot pavement getting to the grass is tough too.
All I want to find is an Indoor Dog Park for owners to bring their dogs to run around and play, while the dogs stay clean, cool, and safe. I wish I was rich I would take on this project myself, cuz thats how much I love my pups....
Thank you

Old 06-01-2016, 04:55 PM

Do these Doggie Daycares require you to drop your dog off for play time? If so I would love to know of any around here that allow for me to stay with my dog and play with them myself. Cuz boarding is not what I need.
Thank you so much for your response I look forward to your answers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area