Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:21 PM

19,450 posts, read 27,897,754 times

Advertisements

There are many non HOA homes in NE Mesa and AJ. Many are new, on large lots, sometimes with dirt roads out front. Some are huge lots, with an old, decrepit home or trailer that needs to be removed before you build on the property. Natural desert landscaping, no HOA and not *too* far into the sticks.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,136,151 times
I don't think I would include "RV parking" as a required MLS parameter. There are many, many homes that would be RV-ready by simply replacing a span of block fence with a gate. I've done that in two of my last three homes.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:48 AM

162 posts, read 431,301 times
I agree with Loco. I would never buy in an area with an HOA if I can help it. I hate the amount of control these stupid city people feel they must exert on their neighbors. Stay on your property and mind your own beeswax. I can't wait to be able to afford a larger property where the neighbors are not breathing down my neck.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I don't have to worry that my neighbor will paint his house some ridiculous color and ruin my already depreciated property value.
I think those of us buyers who like the freedom in non-HOAs see the RV's and satellite dishes peaking over the fences and the basketball hoops in the driveways and a few weeds and the occasional slightly too-orange house and think, "Phew, I can relax here."

Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 AM

6 posts, read 20,828 times
That home was in the Tartesso subdivision. It had RV gate and RV parking on the listing, and even had two cement tire track paths laid in leading up to the gate, but Tartesso's CC&R said that any RV, boat, etc. parked on the property could not be visible to "neighboring property." I called and talked to the HOA manager and she confirmed that you cannot park an RV on the property. Not necessarily a deal killer, but I wonder how many people buy a property like that, thinking they can park their RV there, only to find out that they cannot.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:50 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,650,761 times
Personally, I'm very happy in a non-HOA neighborhood. I don't want people telling me what I can and cannot do. Granted, there is a chance that someone will have old cars jacked up in the driveway with the tires off or a purple and green house but overall, that just isn't the case.
I have a friend that lives in an HOA and he fell asleep on the couch on night and forgot to move his truck into the garage. Next day his wife got a notice from the HOA that he can't leave his vehicle in the driveway overnight and someone complained and they could be cited.
Another time, he had his boat parked behind a closed-locked gate. The boat sat lower than the gate so he thought he was in compliance with the HOA. Well, some nosy neighbor complained to the HOA because she could see his boat "THRU" the gate. The little gaps between the two doors that make up the gate. Probably an inch or two. But the HOA said that because the boat could be seen from the road, regardless of how, that he was in violation and would have to remove the boat or be cited. I was dumbfounded.
Anyway, he screwed a board across the small gap and all was good.
The point is, I would have a hard time dealing with an HOA nazi. I realize that isn't the norm but even the chance that my life would be disrupted by someone with too much time on their hands or a Mrs. Kravitz, well, that's what made me decide to live in a non-HOA environment.
I will admit, HOA's are typically a little nicer but the restrictions would cause me stress so I like exactly where I'm at. People living their lives the way they are, not the way their neighbors want them to live. Good or bad.
Luckily, my neighborhood has been well kept so far.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 AM

19,450 posts, read 27,897,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low slow View Post
That home was in the Tartesso subdivision. It had RV gate and RV parking on the listing, and even had two cement tire track paths laid in leading up to the gate, but Tartesso's CC&R said that any RV, boat, etc. parked on the property could not be visible to "neighboring property." I called and talked to the HOA manager and she confirmed that you cannot park an RV on the property. Not necessarily a deal killer, but I wonder how many people buy a property like that, thinking they can park their RV there, only to find out that they cannot.
Maybe the people who own the house now, didn't read the CC& R's before buying the house, built the two cement tire tracks, then were told by neighbors and the HOA that the RV had to go.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 AM

6 posts, read 20,828 times
Thanks Ponderosa, I'll look at those areas. I am not totally against a HOA, it just depends on the cost and how restrictive it is. I've looked at the CC&Rs for some of them though and wow, are they restrictive -- it'd remind me of living in military housing again with all those restrictions! Besdies, I don't see the sense in paying $65-85 a month for "amenities" that we will probably not use since we will have our own pool and workout room. We can sell the motorhome I suppose...

Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing you can have a vehicle/RV in the back yard, it just can't be visible. So the person who built the driveway to the back probably stored a pop-up camper, a bass boat, a utility trailer or just a car back there.

I think most people with an RV that can be seen over the fences know to make sure "RV parking" truly is allowed in an HOA community, regardless what the MLS ad says. Those ads are often full of errors. The last house I bought the listing agent mostly just re-used the 6-year-old MLS ad, complete with the wrong schools and other errors.

Some places have a separate lot for resident RV storage. Leisure World does.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Thanks Ponderosa, I'll look at those areas. I am not totally against a HOA, it just depends on the cost and how restrictive it is. I've looked at the CC&Rs for some of them though and wow, are they restrictive -- it'd remind me of living in military housing again with all those restrictions! Besdies, I don't see the sense in paying $65-85 a month for "amenities" that we will probably not use since we will have our own pool and workout room. We can sell the motorhome I suppose...
I've owned boats, motorhomes, ATVs etc ever since I have been here (a long time). I just keep them in a storage yard except for the quads. I would have liked a larger property where I could spread it all out, but unfortunately they were always too expensive for me and now that they are cheap, I can't sell my place for what I owe.

You will find that the places where they have larger lots where people keep RVs etc can be a real mixed bag of good and not so good housing. As it gets better, out come the restrictions. These properties are located all over the Phoenix area. They are often hidden in a sea of tract homes. Your best bet is to get with a realtor who knows the area you are interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area