Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:39 PM

5 posts, read 32,199 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are moving but we have no idea where to go. Right now we live by Tbird international business school in Glendale, where my DH just graduated. He got a job working in the North West Valley, so we are looking for a neighborhood to move into. (Where we live right now is not a very family oriented neighborhood). We are considering anywhere from NORTH Gledale, Peoria all the way east to Desert Ridge/Union Hills/Tatum area. We would like to be near the 101, anywhere across this span of area.

I have a one year old and an pregnant, it is VERY important to me to live somewhere 'alive', with other families with young kids. My daughter loves to have playdates almost every day, and that has been so easy where we are with all the student families. I am very worried about moving somewhere where there are no other kids.

Another side note, we are LDS so we are also hoping for a ward with young families in it as well.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 01:19 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
You might want to look at Fletcher Heights up in N. Peoria. It's pretty family friendly and there's schools within the community. You can do a search on here to find out more on the area as it's been recommended before.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:40 PM

148 posts, read 848,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyalicef View Post
Hi! We are moving but we have no idea where to go. Right now we live by Tbird international business school in Glendale, where my DH just graduated. He got a job working in the North West Valley, so we are looking for a neighborhood to move into. (Where we live right now is not a very family oriented neighborhood). We are considering anywhere from NORTH Gledale, Peoria all the way east to Desert Ridge/Union Hills/Tatum area. We would like to be near the 101, anywhere across this span of area.

I have a one year old and an pregnant, it is VERY important to me to live somewhere 'alive', with other families with young kids. My daughter loves to have playdates almost every day, and that has been so easy where we are with all the student families. I am very worried about moving somewhere where there are no other kids.

Another side note, we are LDS so we are also hoping for a ward with young families in it as well.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much
I would definitely second Fletcher Heights. It is a huge neighborhood with lots of young families. I live there. I have four children that range in age from 5 to 10 months. It is very close to a lot of amenities. We moved from Sierra Verde which is just a half a mile away and we loved that neighborhood even more. The houses aren't as nice though (in my opinion) but the neighborhood is nicer with walking paths, lakes and lots of little parks. We moved for a bigger house. That is a family oriented neighborhood as well. The other nice thing about both of those neighborhoods is that there are a wide range of homes from 1300 sq. feet to 4,000 sq. feet. One story, two stories and one story with basements. Fletcher Heights is on both the north and south side of Deer Valley road west of 75th ave. Sierra Verde is south of Deer Valley rd east of 75th ave.

A third neighborhood to consider would be Vistancia but that is way in the northwest valley. I would say depending on where your husband is going to be working you could consider that. It is up and coming. Feel free to post message me with any other questions. I am a native and am pretty familiar with the area.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:10 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far. Tonight we drove up to a neighborhood that was above Union Hills (around Pinnacle Point Road?) and about 40th Ave. It looked really nice, anyone know about that neighborhood?
I am going to check out the ones that have been mentioned so far. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyalicef View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far. Tonight we drove up to a neighborhood that was above Union Hills (around Pinnacle Point Road?) and about 40th Ave. It looked really nice, anyone know about that neighborhood?
I am going to check out the ones that have been mentioned so far. Thanks!
If the neighborhood you are talking about is North Canyon Ranch, north of pinnacle peak and west of 35th ave, it is an older neighborhood. The homes are defnitely less expensive in there but there are nicer neighborhoods than that. (of course, my opinion) If you are looking for something older and more in that price range then I would try Hillcrest. It is north of Deer Valley rd. between 67th ave and 75th ave. The homes are older and thus less expensive. It is still considered the "Arrowhead" area though.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingoutofAz View Post
If the neighborhood you are talking about is North Canyon Ranch, north of pinnacle peak and west of 35th ave, it is an older neighborhood. The homes are defnitely less expensive in there but there are nicer neighborhoods than that. (of course, my opinion) If you are looking for something older and more in that price range then I would try Hillcrest. It is north of Deer Valley rd. between 67th ave and 75th ave. The homes are older and thus less expensive. It is still considered the "Arrowhead" area though.
I live in NCR, but in the area where the homes aren't as old (mine was built in 98). They range from $270-$365k. The older ones are a around that price, a little less and a little more (many are bigger so they cost more). Really there isn't much difference at all in price as compared to Arrowhead and Fletcher Heights (I'm an ex-RE agent, so I know the prices very well).

Old 08-25-2007, 09:23 AM

Default I stand corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I live in NCR, but in the area where the homes aren't as old (mine was built in 98). They range from $270-$365k. The older ones are a around that price, a little less and a little more (many are bigger so they cost more). Really there isn't much difference at all in price as compared to Arrowhead and Fletcher Heights (I'm an ex-RE agent, so I know the prices very well).
Sablebaby,
Thanks for setting me straight. Hope I didn't offend you. I haven't driven around NCR just by it when I drive down Pinnacle peak. I was just going on what a couple people who have lived in there have told me. So it sounds like that is a good neighborhood for the original poster to consider. Definitely convenient to the I-17 and great hiking trails close by.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingoutofAz View Post
Sablebaby,
Thanks for setting me straight. Hope I didn't offend you. I haven't driven around NCR just by it when I drive down Pinnacle peak. I was just going on what a couple people who have lived in there have told me. So it sounds like that is a good neighborhood for the original poster to consider. Definitely convenient to the I-17 and great hiking trails close by.
About half of this area is newer (96+) and the other half were built about 86. I would recommend the newer area over the older area. Yes, it is VERY convenient to just about everything, however I feel we need a lot more (more being built as I type this). Easy to the freeways. I chose this area over Arrowhead as it was a bit closer to work and I was so tired of driving (when I lived in Fletcher Heights), but I'll tell you the truth that I kinda regret not taking the house in Arrowhead. It came down to liking this house over that one, and liking that neighborhood over this one. I didn't want to remodel as soon as I bought it, as the one I bought was already upgraded and needed NOTHING. Plus it has a 3 car garage and that was a must, since we have 4 cars. Sometimes you just can't win.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:08 AM

WantingoutofAZ- Yes that is where we were last night, it was an older neighborhood, or maybe it seemed that way because of the style of the homes, but we liked the mature landscapes, like there had been time for trees and yards to grow. And we talked to a few people who were out in their yards and they told us there are LOTS of kids there, there was an elementary school in that neighborhood, they said kids were constantly out and about, which I really want!
Sablebaby- You live in that neighborhood? Do you agree that there are lots of young families?

My DH and I are going driving through Fletcher Heights today! I am really excited to see what it is like.

Thanks so much everyone! Please keep the input coming, it has been invaluable!!

Old 08-30-2007, 02:14 PM

We absolutely love Fletcher Heights and the surrounding neighborhoods. We are headed out on Saturday with a realtor to check out some houses. Thanks so much for all the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area