Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:18 PM

155 posts, read 135,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I don't think all the historic neighborhoods have a lot of restrictions. Drive through Coronado. There is about everything under the sun tacked on to those houses.

I heard flat roofs are the best for this climate IF they're maintained right, and that they seldom are.
That is what I thought too. But you know how it goes ha. Lots of people do things that they should'nt and I would be the one to get caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 05:18 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,135,057 times
Quote:
on a flat roof facing south
If it faces south, it's pitched.

Coronado is having a homes tour next weekend. Check it out. You'll see homes with working auto garages attached, museums, churches, art studios, you name it. Most of the homes (not the ones featured on the tour) have no landscaping and are 20 years behind on normal maintenance. I really don't think they have rules against solar panels on a flat roof.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
If it faces south, it's pitched.

Coronado is having a homes tour next weekend. Check it out. You'll see homes with working auto garages attached, museums, churches, art studios, you name it. Most of the homes (not the ones featured on the tour) have no landscaping and are 20 years behind on normal maintenance. I really don't think they have rules against solar panels on a flat roof.
I will try to make that tour (if I can). What I meant was that with a pitched roof you are not going to want to put panels on the backside because that faces north. With a flat roof it leaves all the space that would otherwise be wasted.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 PM

568 posts, read 1,207,296 times
I live in Coronado and my neighbor down the street has solar panels on his roof...am pretty sure there is not a problem with the neighborhood association. From a previous thread on a similar topic:

<<Just a update for everyone the phoenix historical society got back to me and everything seems good. Landscape is not regulated by the historic office, solar panels are allowed but generally in the back of house (I bet they will work with you if you have a house that faces south to make it work). Pools and veggie gardens are allowed but of course you have to have a permit for pool construction. They seem nice and nothing like the HOAs and historic districts I have read about in other areas. Just thought I would let everyone know. >>

Old 02-23-2012, 09:33 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,135,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw1981 View Post
I will try to make that tour (if I can). What I meant was that with a pitched roof you are not going to want to put panels on the backside because that faces north. With a flat roof it leaves all the space that would otherwise be wasted.
Why would the back of a pitched roof face north, necessarily? You can buy a north facing house then the back faces south, right? I've seen houses with the panels on the front slope and it looks fine. Oh, are you saying with a flat roof you can cover the whole thing with panels instead of just using one side? It might be more functional to have panels on one half of a pitched roof, aimed south, but I'm not sure.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 PM

603 posts, read 946,893 times
Check out the homes near Altadena park. Near 36th St, between Shea & Cactus. Flat roofs galore and within your price range.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
Check out the homes near Altadena park. Near 36th St, between Shea & Cactus. Flat roofs galore and within your price range.
Wow yea thanks. I went out by east devonshire ave (west of 44st) and I have to say that is some of the most amazing views of the mountains I have seen for a neighborhood. I checked out Wilshire dr east of 56th st and that seems like a very quiet very very nice area as well (I am guessing more expensive and not many houses on the market though).

Old 02-26-2012, 08:38 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times
Quote:
My GF and I are looking for a older house in Phoenix, but we do not want to live in a Historic District. I understand this limits our selection, but we don't want to have the regulations. Are there any neighborhoods that are outside the historic districts that have some older homes OR some houses that are newer but with some good character (example flat roof southwestern style)? Thanks
There are actually quite a few older neighborhoods which have the charm & character you are looking for ... and they're not always in historic districts. One area that comes to mind is the Paradise Valley area south of Shea Blvd. There are quite a few ranch styled homes that look very southwestern. Many of them were built many years ago before Phoenix incorporated that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
That area is known as "Sunnyslope" and while it's not anything close to being the worst area in Phoenix, there is a lot of crime. If you're going to be living in this area, I suggest you find a house that is south of Dunlap or as CLOSE to the mountain as you can get. The in-between is a not so nice gray area.

This neighborhood is not as well located as the neighborhoods closer to downtown, though it is fairly central within the valley and you can be most places quickly.
I agree. The only "better" areas of Sunnyslope are the parts near the hills, such as the eastern side. The part east of 12th Street around Butler has some very charming older homes that are southwestern style. Another good area is north of Peoria Avenue near North Mountain & the Pointe. This area might not even be considered Sunnyslope since it seems so different.

As a whole, while Sunnyslope isn't the best area, it certainly isn't the worst. Maryvale and parts of south Phoenix have much higher crime rates. Sunnyslope is more of a working class district, but there are parts near the hills that are a little more appealing.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:52 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,031,398 times
You might want to try Moon Valley which is just north of Tapatio Cliffs. I suggest north of Thunderbird and east of 7th Ave. The zips are 85022 and 85023. There is a mix of older and more recent homes. A lot of this area is not in an HOA. It is still a fairly low crime area. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:16 PM

603 posts, read 946,893 times
Quote:
Wow yea thanks. I went out by east devonshire ave (west of 44st) and I have to say that is some of the most amazing views of the mountains I have seen for a neighborhood. I checked out Wilshire dr east of 56th st and that seems like a very quiet very very nice area as well (I am guessing more expensive and not many houses on the market though).
Excellent. Some of the other poster's suggestions are very good. Moon Valley is a good recommendation for what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area