Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM

19,433 posts, read 27,823,287 times

Advertisements

Thirty years ago, I inherited a complete set of expensive, fancy English china and almost a whole set of semi-expensive, fancy crystal stemware.

I've never used them and never will. I'm sure they have a value, especially the china, but haven't any idea how much.

Any suggestions on how to safely get this stuff sold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times
Your question is a difficult one. Young people don't want ANYTHING they can't put in a dishwasher. As a result there is no market for these things — sterling silver flatware either. It's a little better in cities where there are lots of older homes decorated in the traditional style, but here in the southwest, forget about it.

But even back east it's a tough sell. I used to work in the bridal registry of a major department store and the brides wouldn't even register for fine china. They only wanted casual stoneware and bar ware, rather than crystal. Once in awhile their mothers would make them register for something good and they all picked the same thing: stuff designed by Vera Wang (Wedgwood produces her now, Lenox used to, but they went bankrupt.) The young brides didn't want anything traditional.

I have multiple sets of china and crystal packed in my garage (aside from what I actually use on holidays in my dining room). Inherited stuff which is, technically, valuable. I have four grown nieces and do you think even one of them will take these things? Not interested. "I would never use it and I don't have anywhere to keep it," they say. That's what makes antique fine china worth less than it cost new.

You can look up values in antique price books (most libraries have them, a good one is Collector's Encyclopedia of English China: Identification & Values by Mary Frank Gaston), but then compare with what's on eBay. What you have is probably for sale there for book value or less and you'll see it's not selling. The stuff I have gets listed time after time by the same people on eBay and they get no bidders. Keep in mind that eBay sellers have to account for packing the stuff for mailing if it does sell. Any profit made is likely to be eaten up by the packing materials and insurance costs.

Since you have a complete set (something like English or French bone china?), you might be able to get an antique store to consign it. It's unlikely they would buy it from you outright. I've actually been trying to find somewhere in Los Angeles to take some of the antiques in my garage (I have furniture, too) because I think that's a more likely market than Arizona.

Feel free to DM me if you want to keep in touch about this. If I find out anything helpful about LA, I'd be glad to let you know.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:31 AM

20 posts, read 60,839 times
I discovered this site the other day when I was doing a home inventory, and wanted to put a value on my china set. Looks like they buy as well as sell. Replacements, Ltd. buys china, crystal, flatware or collectibles.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:23 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Great information! Thank you.

Jules girl, I think doing a consignment arrangement for the crystal stemware would be a reasonable way to go. It's pretty and an unusual, older style that might appeal to someone who frequents antique shops. Any suggestions how I start that process, or who I might contact?

Do you think the china might sell better in NC? We are likely to be moving there this year and I wanted to avoid moving it again, but...

I've looked the pattern up on replacements.com with limited success. It's English, with a large cobalt ring and gold painted pattern on top. I found similar patterns by the maker, but not an exact match. My father believed that my mother may have had the gold painting customized a bit. That sounds unlikely to me, but who knows - it was probably purchased in the mid to late 1940's. For all I know, it's a one of a kind, hence my concern about finding a reputable place to ascertain its value (if any).

Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times
If you send photos to Replacements, they can identify the china/stemware for you. In addition, they will send you a listing of the pieces they'd be willing to purchase and the amount they'd pay for each.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times
How about trying Merchant Square on AZ Ave? Was there a couple weeks ago, place was crowded and was very impressed with the number of booths offering wonderful, old items. Its a place where you can buy and sell, so it might work for you. Also, try the hot dogs while there. Yum !

Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
How about trying Merchant Square on AZ Ave? Was there a couple weeks ago, place was crowded and was very impressed with the number of booths offering wonderful, old items. Its a place where you can buy and sell, so it might work for you. Also, try the hot dogs while there. Yum !
Oh, this is a wonderful place! Since they're set up for vendors and booths, they might have some good leads for you. And while I've never tried the hot dogs, the homemade fudge is fabulous.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 13,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Thirty years ago, I inherited a complete set of expensive, fancy English china and almost a whole set of semi-expensive, fancy crystal stemware.

I've never used them and never will. I'm sure they have a value, especially the china, but haven't any idea how much.

Hi JKG,

Can you ship it or do you want strictly local?

Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow750 View Post
I discovered this site the other day when I was doing a home inventory, and wanted to put a value on my china set. Looks like they buy as well as sell. Replacements, Ltd. buys china, crystal, flatware or collectibles.
I've looked into selling to them. I didn't recommend it to OP because it didn't financially viable to me with the shipping costs I would incur. They have so much inventory in their half-a-million-square-foot facility they have a giant outdoor sale annually. So needless to say, their lack of need drives their prices down.

That said, Jkgourmet, the Replacements, Ltd., is located in Greensboro, NC, which might interest you if you are moving to NC. Since what you have is a complete set and might be unique I don't have any idea what their interest would be, as they specialize in selling individual pieces to replace or augment customer's existing sets. They do have a service where they identify patterns that aren't marked on the plates via a photograph, so perhaps you could check that out. Info on that and their "sell to us service" is listed here:
Contact Information at Replacements, Ltd.

All in all, if you're moving to the east coast, you might want to consider taking it with you. The general interest in heirloom china is much greater there than in the southwest.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:18 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,695,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Can you post some pictures of what you have?

What kind of crystal are we talking? Waterford? Lenox? Gorham?

I love nice crystal stemware, particularly Waterford. Their pieces are just beautiful.

I might be able to identify some of the pieces you have if you can post some pictures and give a rough value. English china should have a manufacturer's crest or mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area