Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:32 PM

196 posts, read 262,923 times

Advertisements

I am at a loss. I do not know if i should get a job here in KY and fly back and forth to job interviews in AZ. Or, if i should go ahead and move. I will work whatever job I have to so that i pay my bills. I hate owing money to anyone. I'm thinking move around Nov or beginning of 2013. I will be vacationing in AZ on Christmas. Thought about sending out resumes in Oct to get some interviews lined up while I'm there. What do u think??????

Little bit of background.... I am super serious on moving to the West This has been my dream for about 5 yrs now. I have a little RA that has been hurting me here in the cold winters. My grandparents used to live in Peoria and that was when I fell in love with everything about AZ. I got fired in my job of 7yrs which was great. it gave me the opportunity i needed to figure out what I want to do with my life. I am a super honest person. I decided to get my degree (which I am doing now) I graduate in Aug 2013 (another yr and a few months to go). Associates in Organizational Management. I hope to use my degree to help companies make good choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
A couple of thoughts come into my head. Firstly, don't move until you finish your associates degree. Better yet, get your bachelor's degree wrapped up before you move. It would be a shame to lose credits for courses you've already completed and paid for because they are not transferable.

Secondly, with the exception of seasonal / holiday employment, probably the worst time of year to be looking for a job is Nov and December. Generally, Employers will put off hiring until January to avoid paying for holiday pay, and having to deal with training during the holidays.

It's great that you say you will work at any job to pay your bills - it sounds like you have a great attitude - but what CAN you do? What experience do you have to offer an employer?

Old 02-24-2012, 10:02 PM

Default Fly back and forth to job interviews or ???

I actually have about 10 years of customer service in a call center. I have worked for airlines for the 7years.

Good point, Nov is not a good time to look for a job since it is Christmas time. What was I thinking? I just hate to start work here in KY-- I live in the country part and its like an hr to a job that is hiring and gas is so expensive. plus, I would have to find a job that works around my interviews when I get interviews.

This is a dilemma.

I'm not planning on getting the BA yet. Just AA for now. I will deal with that when I get to AZ.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
I may be mistaken but from a similiar thread awhile back it was mentioned that unless you're being transfered here by your company most employers are only hiring locally established residents.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:41 AM

270 posts, read 1,110,485 times
You will find job here if your goal is to find any job. Will this job and pay meet your needs is the real question. Judging by looking at some of my young co-workers' experience, if you have one job and lived alone, you would need to make at least $13 an hour working full time (32 to 40 hr week) to make ends meet. You will need higher hourly rate if you have dependent. You could find roommates to share housing expenses and/or rent near where you work to save some money. But the math says you need a full time job that pays enough. Those 2 things are what's hard to come by at the same time.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:16 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,134,061 times
I would agree with "get your bachelor's". It's just a minimum requirement for most decent management jobs, which it sounds like you'd like. ASU has a fantastic business school. Maybe you could move out here, work in a call center or waitressing job to make ends meet, finish your AA degree at a community college where you can avoid out-of-state tuition by staying under x credit hours while you establish residency, then transfer to ASU and finish. There are student loans and scholarships to help make ends meet. You wouldn't be doing exactly what you wanted for a while but you'd be living where you want to. And a 4-year degree usually pays for itself pretty quickly, if its in a marketable field and your persistent with the job hunt. And if you can keep the loans low by working whatever jobs you need to to get by. You might even get on with an employer with tuition reimbursement. There are a lot of them.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:59 AM

213 posts, read 377,093 times
We just moved out here in December. My husband already had a job. I have a 4 yr degree in Business and found a job in about 6 weeks. I am earning approx $15,000 less that I was making in Syracuse. My son also has a 4 yr degree in Business and he had 4 job offers in about 4 weeks. He is making approx $7,000 more that he was making in Syracuse. His girlfriend is a CNA/Home Health Aide and found a job within a week. She is making a little less here than in Syracuse.

We didn't start looking for employment until we got out here. My son and I put in at least 100 applications each and also went to recruiters. We made looking for a job, well.....a full-time job!

There are jobs out here if you want them but I wouldn't waste my time/money flying back and forth. With your education level, you probably won't be making enough money to justify that. However, come out, you'll love it here. I firmly believe that there are plenty of jobs out here. You just have to be persistent!! Good Luck!!!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:47 AM

21 posts, read 24,274 times
krazykatlady gave some good advice.

I recently looked for another job long distance in some various cities around the country and I can tell you that unlike the past, it is very hard to secure employment from long distance. I was told right up front that all things equal, a local person has the advantage.

The exceptions are higher end positions or high demand/low supply professions. Mostly people who stay very vertical in their careers will be able to do it easier.

It is not impossible and many people do it, but it seems to make more sense to be local and have the ability to meet with people on a regular basis. Often times one interview is not enough for either side to get a proper feel for each other.

The other side of that coin is that it gives the job seeker more opportunity to find out in more detail about the people they may be interviewing with.
I have taken jobs from 2000 miles away after a 4 hour visit and they ended up not being quite what I thought they were.

Research companies and jobs from a distance, make as many initial contacts as possible, then when you move there, hit the ground running hard.

Good luck.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:27 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Thought about sending out resumes in Oct to get some interviews lined up while I'm there. What do u think?????? Very good planning imo
Make sure you have job opportunities where you want to move. Plus, make sure you would like the area. So, your visit, and lining up interviews is a good thing.
I would give consideration to other areas as well

Old 03-13-2012, 02:29 PM

Default love what u said! i will so plan on doing what u said

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykatlady View Post
We made looking for a job, well.....a full-time job!

There are jobs out here if you want them but I wouldn't waste my time/money flying back and forth. With your education level, you probably won't be making enough money to justify that. However, come out, you'll love it here. I firmly believe that there are plenty of jobs out here. You just have to be persistent!! Good Luck!!!
+++++I plan on moving to succeed. Ppl here in ky say that they wish they were as determined as me. Well, i want to become successful. Or my move is not really worth it.

Thanks so much.
Adele
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area