Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:47 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,136,151 times

Advertisements

10 days IS oddly quick to expect new residents to re-register. I wouldn't have guessed.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:52 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
But, it takes a matter of a few minutes to find that information, even before you actually move. In any event, to not have done it in three months is too long.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:17 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,136,151 times
I would think to check for that info after the dust settled, which would be at least 3 weeks. And I'm rather organized about details, too. I guess not near as much as I could be, though.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
But, it takes a matter of a few minutes to find that information, even before you actually move. In any event, to not have done it in three months is too long.
True; this isn't the 1980's where you had to make calls and look things up in the yellow pages (although I suppose this would be a blue pages issue).

Like another poster said 10 days seems pretty fast; I would expect 30, but if I were going through the time, trouble and expense of moving to another state I would set aside an hour to look up the various car related issues BEFORE I moved so I would know what to expect.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,788,310 times
Quote:
Ya,understood. But how about maybe a courtesy warning stating that since I was a resident, I need to get a AZ license and plate asap? Are all cops down here as unforgiving?
The question should be, why would anyone expect to get a courtesy warning instead of a ticket when you were so out of compliance with the law?

When one comes into a state, they are required to change their license, and registration in all states. It is up to the person moving into the state to find what the law is and follow it, not complain after they have been in the state 3 months longer than the law allows for changeover.

You broke the law. You got caught. Expect to pay for your bad judgement.

Don't blame the police for doing their job. That is what they are paid to do. It is not the officers fault, you broke the law, and that he did exactly what his superiors demand and the public pays him to do.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 PM

7,195 posts, read 9,263,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
True; this isn't the 1980's where you had to make calls and look things up in the yellow pages (although I suppose this would be a blue pages issue).

Like another poster said 10 days seems pretty fast; I would expect 30, but if I were going through the time, trouble and expense of moving to another state I would set aside an hour to look up the various car related issues BEFORE I moved so I would know what to expect.
I don't think 10 days vs. 30 days would be an issue at MVD. I think you're supposed to notify them within 10 days of moving also. I never have and have never had any problems. And I've had officers pull me over and ask me if the address was correct and told them no. Yes if you go too long I think MVD fines you.

The problem is getting caught by the officer breaking one law, then having him learning the out of state registration was suspended. From the officers point of view that puts a lot of doubt on the person being inspected. You can swear up and down to your innocence at that point but he's heard the same story dozens of times before.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:15 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
I don't think 10 days vs. 30 days would be an issue at MVD. I think you're supposed to notify them within 10 days of moving also. I never have and have never had any problems. And I've had officers pull me over and ask me if the address was correct and told them no. Yes if you go too long I think MVD fines you.
Good point; I forgot about the 10 day moving rule. My wife was notorious for not updating that in time, but now with SercviceArizona.com it is so easy to do there is no excuse.

I have always found it interesting though that you just have to report the change, you do NOT have to get an updated license.

Quote:
The problem is getting caught by the officer breaking one law, then having him learning the out of state registration was suspended. From the officers point of view that puts a lot of doubt on the person being inspected. You can swear up and down to your innocence at that point but he's heard the same story dozens of times before.
Absolutely right - one small thing like having an old address on your license won't raise too many eyebrows partly because it is so common. Same thing with a broken headlight, etc... but once you start getting into the more serious infractions an officer will become very aware of ALL of your infractions.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 PM

157 posts, read 357,259 times
Update: court today in front of judge Samuel goodman. Count one of crossing gore, guilty. Traffic school for that one. Count two of driving with revoked plates, dismissed. Count 3 of no az drivers license, dismissed. Count four of driving an vehicle with out of state plates, guilty, 300 dollar fine. Count 5, no insurance, dismissed

Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,732,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedus View Post
Update: court today in front of judge Samuel goodman. Count one of crossing gore, guilty. Traffic school for that one. Count two of driving with revoked plates, dismissed. Count 3 of no az drivers license, dismissed. Count four of driving an vehicle with out of state plates, guilty, 300 dollar fine. Count 5, no insurance, dismissed
Congrats, Reedus . . . only 2 out of 5 ain't bad.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:42 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,076,577 times
thanks for the informative update with the results....possibly shows what's important to the judges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area