Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 02:10 AM

19,449 posts, read 27,897,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvGreenChile View Post
Thank you for the answers, everyone

The areas we're most interested in are Mesa, the North Phoenix corridor and Glendale, mostly because they seem to be more affordable, while at the same time being somewhat safe.

We were thinking of visiting Phoenix to see about buying a townhouse or patio home with cash. Where we are in ABQ the houses are in the $250K to $400K range for very modest-sized homes and rents are between $1200 to $1400 for about 1,000 square feet. In your metro, however, it looks like you can get an okay, not great, but okay place for $50K.
I don't think you're going to get much for $50k in Phoenix metro. I'd suggest you start a new thread on this. And, with all due respect, with such a limited budget, perhaps your top priority shouldn't be the local political views.

Nevertheless, I'd agree that this area is pretty open minded to all political opinions.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:21 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,076,577 times
as suggested by jkgourmet, I just wouldn't obsess over the local politics here....frankly, it's rarely talked about by most....it's not what should be a priority when deciding to move.....the Phx area is huge and there are all types everywhere....

don't forget about "you get what you pay for"....50K for a place is worth 50K....location, location, location.....all the old rules still apply....before moving here, come look around, spend a few days, check out places on Fri and Sat nights, look for weird neighbors, low neighborhood pride.....

Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 AM

605 posts, read 1,094,002 times
I live in a New England state that is sinking from the burden of Union giveaways, Liberal giveaways, and general Democratic incompetence. We have become "the" place to settle when you want to get on the system. Our Capital city is considering bankruptcy from the weight of the COLA's of the many retired city workers.

I'll take "balance" with a bit of Conservatism any day of the week.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:52 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,725,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvGreenChile View Post
My family was considering moving to the Mesa/Phoenix area, but lately all we see are stories about people in Arizona who espouse very right wing views (i.e. shooting the President's image, arresting anyone who looks Hispanic, Birtherism reborn, etc). On the boards on Yahoo! I continue to read comments by people from the Phoenix area saying women don't deserve rights, that blacks should be killed, that non-Christians should be run out of America, and so on. The state is beginning to come across as one big white supremacist, religious right playground.

I'm an independent, and would probably rate as a centrist, but all the things I read online have me wondering. Just how far right is Arizona?
They worry about Rick Santorum being a liberal. I moved out of the area because the local "Republican Club" ran the HOA and make life impossible for anyone who didn't swallow the Tea Party Kool Aide

Old 03-03-2012, 07:00 AM

16 posts, read 32,079 times
Thank you, you're right. We definitely plan on coming over and checking it out, and that's for a separate thread, which I'll start now.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:15 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,619,598 times
This is Jan Brewers last stent and Sheriff Joe looks like he is on his last leg. Hopefully we grow a new image in the years to come. One that truly represents us.
I don't get mad at the media messenger, or the people who happen to hear the message as much as I get mad at our latest political figures whom use the media as a playground for their retarded political gymnastics. It will be nice to get back to the middle of the road in the future as that really represents our state more, IMO.
We are usually mellow, laid back and not overly political, religious or prejudice here. As of late we seem overly right wing, uptight and judge mental. That's just because the people with access to the media right now are, but the majority of people you will meet here are still laid back, not overly religious or political.
Just soaking up the sun, and enjoying life. The tide will change again, as I think we are all sick of being represented by this latest crew, regardless of our political affiliation.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:30 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,270,753 times
I have lived in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Texas, Colorado, and California. Since I lived in Austin Texas, considered a liberal city, I don't really have much of a pulse on Texas being that right winged...although I know it is, as I've been told this all my life. Washington is the most liberal, but AZ...where I currently live, has to be the most white seperatist state I have ever lived in. Then again, maybe its not fair to label the State. I live in a city called Gilbert. Gilbert is heavily grounded in Mormonism.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:36 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I have lived in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Texas, Colorado, and California. Since I lived in Austin Texas, considered a liberal city, I don't really have much of a pulse on Texas being that right winged...although I know it is, as I've been told this all my life. Washington is the most liberal, but AZ...where I currently live, has to be the most white seperatist state I have ever lived in. Then again, maybe its not fair to label the State. I live in a city called Gilbert. Gilbert is heavily grounded in Mormonism.
"White separatist?" Oh, please. Let's keep this discussion grounded in facts and reality, please. The place for purple prose is another C-D forum called Politics and Other Controversies. I suggest you take the hyperbole there. This is a relocation forum, not a political one.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:45 AM

6,407 posts, read 9,002,651 times
Quote:
Washington is the most liberal, but AZ...where I currently live, has to be the most white seperatist state I have ever lived in.
Hyperbole.

Last edited by observer53; 03-05-2012 at 10:11 PM..

Old 03-03-2012, 08:26 AM

134 posts, read 243,498 times
Quote:
Washington is the most liberal, but AZ...where I currently live, has to be the most white seperatist state I have ever lived in.
Let me guess, you never left King County, did you?

That whole statement is just plain wrong.

[mod cut-- response to deleted post]

Last edited by observer53; 03-06-2012 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area