Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,216 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if someone can offer some suggestions for me. I currently own a house in Tucson. I've lived here for 10 years now, and a few years ago took a job that requires extensive travel. I'm on the road about 40-45 weeks a year and my typical travel arrangements take me from St Louis to the west coast and everywhere in-between. My company is headquartered in Oregon, so I'm there frequently (tax free shopping makes this palatable ) as well. I typically do one or two round trips per week, and I work out of my house the other days.

Tucson is great and all, but I'm getting tired of a lack of flights here. I just don't have a whole lot of options when it comes to my commute, so I've resorted to driving to Phoenix for the longer trips.

The last few weeks I've begun to seriously look at houses/condos in the Valley. My first thought was to buy a place in Ahwatukee, but I need to let the 202 routing get sorted out first. I also really need to rent in the Valley first, before I buy a place.

So, I'd like to be 10-15 minutes from the airport, max. I don't plan on using the light rail much, but being close to a station might be nice. I've been looking at 44 Monroe, but it seems availability there is limited. The West 6th condos in Tempe look intriguing, but I'd be concerned with the amount of ASU kids there. I'm looking for a 1 bd/1 br place--I will be keeping my house in Tucson for the time being.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 07:03 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Why not look in the Biltmore area - 24th and Camelback? Great section of town and the mountain views that I imagine you are used to in Tucson. Or maybe around Fashion Square - 70th street and Camelback

Both areas are well within your times to get to the airport.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Why not look in the Biltmore area - 24th and Camelback? Great section of town and the mountain views that I imagine you are used to in Tucson. Or maybe around Fashion Square - 70th street and Camelback

Both areas are well within your times to get to the airport.

"Well within" 10-15 minutes max to the airport from Fashion Square in Scottsdale? Not happening. Mapquest has it at 21, and that's optimistic, IMO. Biltmore is a tight fit there, too. You can use up a lot of that time just at a red light or two. If you have a pretty much straight shot with no traffic down the 51, then yes, maybe.

There are other condos around downtown that might work, I don't know the names, but there are some around 3rd and 5th Sts NE of Arizona Center, there's a high rise next door to Chase Field, and some other smaller ones in the downtown/Central area.

Last edited by observer53; 03-05-2012 at 09:21 AM..

Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,827 times
Central Phoenix would be a good start.

In north Tempe there are some condominium towers along the lake besides W6 that may not all be for the college-age crowd.

Try searching along Washington Street on the Phoenix-Tempe border too, there are some lowrise condominiums on the light rail line.

All these locations are pretty close to the airport.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:08 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,743 times
I just did an MLS search for condo rentals, within a 5 mile radius of the airport. There were 144 listings, ranging in price from $350 per month to $7,000 per month. Someething in there should work for you!

Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,177,644 times
Take a look at the 3 developments at 52st and Van Buren, Phx. They are Riverwalk, Red Rox and Belaflora. All newer, gated, decent communities with a mix of professionals and some ASU students. Close to Papago Park, 2 miles from Mill Ave, 10 minutes from Sky Harbor.

Cheap rentals or inexpensive purchase.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,216 times
Thanks for the tips everyone.

There's no way I'd do Scottsdale since it can be a rough drive over to the airport. I'm not against the Camelback/24th area, but I just don't have any idea what's up that way, and I'm not sure I want to spend time on the 51.

What's the neighborhood at 52nd/Van Buren like? I drive by those places all the time, and while they look nice, the neighborhood doesn't look too enticing--empty lots and all. Garage parking for my car would also be nice so the seats don't melt.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:43 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photog_tus View Post
What's the neighborhood at 52nd/Van Buren like? I drive by those places all the time, and while they look nice, the neighborhood doesn't look too enticing--empty lots and all. Garage parking for my car would also be nice so the seats don't melt.
I don't recommend it. A former poster on this forum who I knew used to live in one of the complexes around there, and he said there were lots of problems with the area: car thefts, vandalism, a higher concentration of gang types and lower income residents. The area itself is not enticing at all. It's close to the zoo and Sky Harbor ... but not a whole lot to do right around there. I'd look into Tempe or downtown Phoenix (just not many areas in between).

Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I don't recommend it. A former poster on this forum who I knew used to live in one of the complexes around there, and he said there were lots of problems with the area: car thefts, vandalism, a higher concentration of gang types and lower income residents. The area itself is not enticing at all. It's close to the zoo and Sky Harbor ... but not a whole lot to do right around there. I'd look into Tempe or downtown Phoenix (just not many areas in between).
I second that opinion.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:11 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,592,416 times
What about the Pointe South Mountain (now the AZ Grand Resort) on the I-10 and Baseline? They have some condo's in there that are priced well and it's very close to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area