Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:46 PM

12 posts, read 12,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Before you move all the way across the country to a very different environment compared to either Pittsburgh or NC, I'd strongly suggest you consider more than just the cost of housing and food... have you ever been here before? You should at least come visit before you pull up stakes just looking for something cheaper or different.

Thanks for the thoughts. My husband used to live in Huntington Beach, CA and Albuquerque, NM. So he knows all about living. The last time I was there was 16 years ago. My father was in the military, so it was a way of life, we lived in Scottsdale for 6 months before we were on to the next place.

This is also not our first move with a company. Married 16 years and 5 states later. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 03:13 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
I understand that you've moved a lot. Your kids haven't moved as much, though. I was only asking because there's so many things about metro Phoenix that are unlike the places you've lived recently. And, there's not much comparison between Huntington Beach and Albuquerque and Phoenix, either. But, if you spent six months here sixteen years ago, (it's changed a lot since then) you have a bit more of a frame of reference than others thinking about moving here.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:44 PM

I do have family that still lives there, but it is a hit or miss if I can ever get a hold of them. My brother just moved back from Tempe 2 years ago, to help our grandmother. I just rather get a different perspective from what others believe. When you get family involved in your choices you either get all the negative or all positive.

Oh, I re-read my last post. Although I have not been there for 16 years. I have a total of probably 3 years of living in AZ. It was no longer than 6 months at a time. Gots to love that Military/Government for moving us a lot.

My kids think that we are gypsies. But we do not make a move without a huge family meeting. Until the corporate word comes down and that moving truck drives our stuff away, that is when the fun begins.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianR View Post
A lot of our friends swear by Costco. We shop mostly at Fry's and Sprout's, but if somewhere else has eggs or milk onsale, I price-match at WalMart. I think I spend less on groceries here than I did in Mansfield, Ohio.

Are the super-stores every where? In NC, I had 2 and both were less than 10 miles apart. In Pittsburgh, we have one and they are out of everything all the time. I am thinking with my herd of kids, I will get a few things in BULK, but just not sure if it is worth it. Then again, I will have an extra fridge coming along. Thanks

Old 03-15-2012, 04:53 PM

Ok, I am sorry for the repeated posts. How about farmers markets? Are there a lot of them? Are the prices moderate? Are they a waste of time?

Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,137,497 times
Bulk is what I do.

I've yet to find a farmer's market here that wasn't simply things like 'local artisan cheese' for 3x more than store cheese. Some say Superstition Market out here in Mesa has great savings on produce but it's a bit of a mess, if you ask me, and not worth the hassle.

Wal-Mart Superstores and Markets are everywhere.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:27 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
There are a few farmer's markets around the Valley, but the expense of driving to get to them, and the time consumed, doesn't make them practical on a regular basis.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:50 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,238,045 times
There's a really good food co-op here, called Bountiful Baskets. For just $15 you get a lot of very fresh produce. You don't get to choose your items, you are given whatever they happen to have - which is generally whatever is in season.

If you're into experimenting with food a bit, (and trying new things you may not have had before), it's a great option.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:20 PM

240 posts, read 839,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmaltzty3 View Post
... Here in Pittsburgh, the lowest gallon of milk is $3.50 on a good day. Bread is off the chart near $1.50 for store brand...
The main chain in Pittsburgh is what? Big Bird (a/k/a Giant Eagle). So you should be pleasantly surprised at the competition here in the valley. Just off the top of my head, there are Fry's, Safeway, Basha's, Albertsons, Fresh & Easy, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Food City, Sprouts, Sunflower Farmers Market, and any number of smaller mom and pop type markets, ethnic grocers, not to mention super Target and Wally worlds.

Every week you'll get the Fry's, Safeway, and Albertsons ads in the mail, maybe others depending on where you live. Just make your list and head over to Wally world with list and ads in hand (in case you get one of those clerks) and do your one stop shopping there. That is, if you are a Wally world shopper. If not, depending on where you live, you might have several stores within a short drive of each other.

Watch for the "get a $10 off coupon on your next visit if you spend $75" at Safeway, and last time I checked, both Safeway and Fry's round coupons up to $1 (up to three of the same coupon), and Fry's does it even for coupons that read, "do not double." And yeah, if you think you'll save more than $55 per year shopping at Costco, that is an option too.

But watch out! Not every advertised deal is truly a deal (I'm sure you know this). The ads will have X on sale, and then next week the same item is +/- $0.50 or more, at the same store or a different chain. If you want to save, just learn the minimum pricing for things you eat.

For example, Poptarts should be no more that $1.50 per eight. You can score that deal at Costco if the pricing hasn't changed, or when a chain grocer has a sale and you have a coupon, and that coupon gets rounded to a buck.

Another example is toothpaste... plain 'ole Crest or Colgate (not whitening or gum or whatever) goes on sale for a buck for a 4.6 oz tube, and woah, you have a $0.50 off coupon. That tube is free!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:57 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,084,568 times
Also, don't forget the Dollar stores. Some are going into the food market, like 99cents, Family Dollar, Everythings a Dollar, and I have found great bargains there. I don't think food is expensive here at all. As for Farmers Markets, no, not alot of them. People on the side of the road at times selling watermelons, fruit, etc. but its minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area