Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:17 AM

35 posts, read 59,628 times

Advertisements

The other thing I've run into several times now is that you have to be prepared to pay over appraised value if you want the house. I've gone after 2 houses that were in demand, and both times the seller was asking more than the appraisal came in, and they refused to drop their price. Both ended up getting a seller willing to pay over appraised value to get the house. If you're trying to buy with a loan this means you need your down payment + more cash to make up the appraisal/sale price difference. This is the kind of thing that will really push prices up. Everytime one of these closes, now there is a comp at a higher price for the next house/appraisal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 03:35 PM

784 posts, read 925,603 times
In Phoenix when do the snowbirds normally start leaving, it has got be near that time right?

Old 03-19-2012, 03:38 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,726,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
In Phoenix when do the snowbirds normally start leaving, it has got be near that time right?
Not sure what it has to do with this thread but most snowbirds start vacating Phoenix at the end of March, a few stay until mid April though.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:36 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,802,513 times
Quote:
In the other thread you asked if things (assume you were talking about real estate sales) would slow down then.

I replied that the Phoenix real estate market peaks in June.

Below is a chart showing the sales per month for the past 3 years. Perhaps that will answer your question. If you're thinking that real estate sales will drop off when the snowbirds leave, I doubt that will happen.
Attached Thumbnails
60% of Home Buyers are Investors in Phoenix market-3-19-2012-3-31-13  

Old 03-19-2012, 05:15 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,791,886 times
Is that closings or signed contracts?

Old 03-19-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Is that closings or signed contracts?
Closed.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 PM

205 posts, read 297,309 times
A guy I used to play ball against just bought a house in Buckeye today. His brother bought one last year. Now if he was a good friend I probably would have suggested he buy elsewhere but that's another discussion. He just spent a week there and liked it so he made his purchase. It probably won't qualify as an investor purchase as he intends to live in it a few weeks every year and not rent it out or does it? Anyways when guys like this are buying out there on impulse and paying cash you know the market is heating up. Yes Buckeye is cheaper but he did fork over 80k for it. 1200 ft 1 storey home. 3 bedrooms 2 baths. Built in 2003. I'm sure it was only a year ago you could buy something like this out there for much less than 80k.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 PM

784 posts, read 925,603 times
Well that would make sense.....they rush to buy before they leave then end up closing 30-60 days later.

The story would be what happens after the offer rush in March and April right?

So historically for the last 3 years the offers from the snow birds should start tapering off right?

Your own chart shows a significant downward movement soon after they leave town....then more upward movement when they come back later in the year....so they must have some effect right?

Old 03-20-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Well that would make sense.....they rush to buy before they leave then end up closing 30-60 days later.

The story would be what happens after the offer rush in March and April right?

So historically for the last 3 years the offers from the snow birds should start tapering off right?

Your own chart shows a significant downward movement soon after they leave town....then more upward movement when they come back later in the year....so they must have some effect right?
You have to interpret the chart in your own way. If you think there is a dip because of snowbirds, then use that. If you think it's because of spring break, then use that.

Will that mean there will be more homes available on the market, or less competition than there is today? I don't think so. But you'll see soon enough.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:42 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,139,099 times
I don't think it has much to do with migration habits of snowbirds. I think home sales are probably more up in the spring because of weather, holidays and school schedules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area