Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:02 PM

5 posts, read 11,587 times

Advertisements

How do you, or did you like Phoenix? How was the adjustment in moving from the east coast out to Phoenix?

If you rode public transportation, did you adapt to the car first mentality well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 03:09 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,742,393 times
The difference between East coast living and desert living are night and day. I grew up in the Northeast and still miss certain aspects (culture, the coast, easy transportation) of it. However, as for overall lifestyle I can't see myself ever moving back there to live having lived the western lifestyle for the past 13 years. I have become spoiled by how laid back the lifestyle is out here compared to the hustle and bustle of the East. That's just me, though. I also like how spread out everything is and how I can basically be outdoors for most of the year. (even if I have to go north in the summer!)
If you're looking to move I'd suggest a few visits to see it for yourself.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:28 PM

5 posts, read 11,587 times
Hey goolsbyjazz, thanks for your response. I have lived in Phoenix before, but I've been living in NYC for the past few years. However, outrageous taxes, rising crime (in my opinion) and cost of living is driving me out. So much that it doesn't make sense financially for me to stay here anymore. However, I know that I will miss the public transportation and other things that the city has to offer. I have an opportunity to get out, but am having those "what ifs" questions.

I've become accustomed to life over here, but I do miss the laid back lifestyle. Not everyone is concerned about what designer clothing your wearing, etc... I originally left Phoenix because of the job market during the housing collapse. Friends in Mesa tell me that the valley is seeing a spur in hiring, but am not sure how accurate this is.

Like I wrote though, the cost of living over here alone is driving me out.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:58 PM

55 posts, read 110,167 times
I am embarking on my second stint in Arizona, wrapping up my second stint in Downstate New York. We originally moved back east about eight years ago when my employer told me that not only would they not be giving me any sort of raise, but that I was overpaid. Luckily, I am heading back with the job I currently hold in New York, although as a full time telecommuter.

The difference between the two is really night and day, but over the last few years, there is a trend in the valley that there are a lot of us moving back there. While it hasn't shifted the culture of the valley, nor should it ever, it really comes down to just realizing that comparing the two will never really yield much similarity. Today, I am five minutes from the train station and a one-seat ride down to my job or heading into the city for the weekend. I am sure that I will miss many aspects of it and am not ashamed to say a lot of that is the food.

The roughest part of the adjustment is going to be the climate again - I've resolved myself to that. The twenty years I was in Arizona before, I never did acclimate to it, but I adjusted. I am fine with the people (like I said, there are a lot more of us out there now than there was a few years back), I am fine with the fact that I will have to drive more to get places, and I am even fine with the lack of lush greenery. I think that it is really easy to talk yourself into how big the difference is and it makes it that much harder to adjust to, personally.

Instead, look at the positives. There are a lot of things that the valley offers, especially if you are into recreation. Relatively reasonable drive times to some of the most spectacular scenery in the country are attractive, as well. Just in general, though, the difference in the cost of living really does make a significant difference, especially if you can find a decent job. I have heard that the market is picking back up - especially in technology. Having a secure job, I haven't put much thought into that, but know that I can find a job if I need to - even if it is another telecommuting position.

The prime motivator for us, this time around, is my wife's health issues. She has chronic back problems that our cold winters (this past one excluded, obviously) and our humid summers have proven to just be too much. We've just chosen to turn it into a positive. We have a brand new construction is escrow (we get the keys this week), are looking forward to various projects that we can do now that we will be owning again, and are already having family members planning vacations to come out and stay with us.

I hope it does all work at well for you. Definitely understand and appreciate the reasons you want to move. It really is a good time to do so, too. My wife thinks its funny, but when I think about what I miss the most will be - the answer is Zaro's for my bagels. All the family that was here when I grew up have long since moved to the south, i.e. North Carolina, Florida, the Midwest, etc. Even the memories I have of around here do not carry much weight any more.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:32 AM

7 posts, read 8,612 times
My hardest adjustment to Phoenix has been the lack of greenery. I drove a lot more on the East before I came out here. Here there is just traffic. I lived in MD, WV and VA. I think of home and miss it a bit, but then I remember complaining about the rain, snow etc. and am ok again. I haven't experienced a summer here in az yet, but I'm already worried about the heat and how I'll be. I don't think I'll go back East anytime soon. The people are definitely different out here, I feel very impatient compared to the people out here. I guess it's an East coast thing.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:05 AM

272 posts, read 610,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmferris View Post
...but over the last few years, there is a trend in the valley that there are a lot of us moving back there.
Yup - it seems that there are several right here on C-D; I'm returning after a 15yr hiatus.

Quote:
...The roughest part of the adjustment is going to be the climate again - I've resolved myself to that. The twenty years I was in Arizona before, I never did acclimate to it, but I adjusted. I am fine with the people (like I said, there are a lot more of us out there now than there was a few years back), I am fine with the fact that I will have to drive more to get places, and I am even fine with the lack of lush greenery.
Same here. I grew up in New England, and found that I really missed the ocean and the greenery. For me, summers were brutal - I was actively looking for places to live in Prescott Valley, and trying to convince myself that a 1.5 hr commute each way was somehow doable (Hey, don't laugh - that's pretty close to the norm in LA... ).

I moved to Chicago for many reasons. One was the climate and green stuff; the other a job and more "green stuff" - I was making $10K more in Chicago doing pretty much the same thing I was doing in Phoenix (IT). Unfortunately, cost of living and taxes more than wiped out those gains.

Quote:
The prime motivator for us, this time around, is my wife's health issues. She has chronic back problems that our cold winters (this past one excluded, obviously) and our humid summers have proven to just be too much...
For me, it's MY health issues. My arthritis is making it difficult to deal with the winters out here; I'll gladly find ways to endure the summers in Phx just to avoid another Midwest winter (well... we didn't have a winter up here this past year - but you get the point...). Also, almost my entire family lives out west. It's been difficult convincing my wife - she's visited, but never lived in Phoenix. She does understand the reasons behind my wanting to return, and she's onboard - as long as we have a pool...

I've found that I really do miss the Valley. It's not perfect (no place is), but, at least for me, the positives outweigh the negatives.

Once back, I doubt I'll ever leave.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 AM

55 posts, read 110,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
I moved to Chicago for many reasons. One was the climate and green stuff; the other a job and more "green stuff" - I was making $10K more in Chicago doing pretty much the same thing I was doing in Phoenix (IT). Unfortunately, cost of living and taxes more than wiped out those gains.
Same here. When we went from Phoenix to New York ten years ago, I doubled my salary. Since moving, all my progression in employment has been positive, and I am returning to Arizona with my current New York salary. While we haven't been able to save as much for the same reasons you cite, we are hoping to really be able to pack it away for a rainy day once we are back.

Quote:
That was our motivating factor to do a new construction. I told my wife that I never want to deal with moving again - sorting, packing, and all the associated headaches with it are some of my least favorite things to deal with. What we wanted in a house was a blank slate that was move in ready, and considering the movement in the housing market of late, we are glad we chose the direction we did. Fairly comfortable in thinking that the home is a great investment, and we will actually stay in it long enough to realize that.

Best of luck to you on your move back! I am getting anxious, so I am sure you feel the same. My wife is currently out there in the new house while I continue to get things in order in New York. Only seventeen days to go...

Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 AM

272 posts, read 610,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmferris View Post
...Best of luck to you on your move back! I am getting anxious, so I am sure you feel the same...
And to you, sir. We're just waiting for our house to sell.

And waiting...

Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,627,765 times
Quote:

For me, it's MY health issues. My arthritis is making it difficult to deal with the winters out here; I'll gladly find ways to endure the summers in Phx just to avoid another Midwest winter (well... we didn't have a winter up here this past year - but you get the point...). Also, almost my entire family lives out west. It's been difficult convincing my wife - she's visited, but never lived in Phoenix. She does understand the reasons behind my wanting to return, and she's onboard - as long as we have a pool...

I've found that I really do miss the Valley. It's not perfect (no place is), but, at least for me, the positives outweigh the negatives.

The pool will be a great source of relief for your arthritis. I love the fact that I can still exercise in the pool and feel nothing negative. One thing that also helps is the hot temps when swimming are great. I don't get chilled and that also helps ease the pain from the old bones.
I've lived here without a pool and I didn't like the summer months that much either. But with that said when I have a pool I look forward to the hot summer months. Lounging pool side, swimming everyday. Your wife is spot on with the pool demand! It will make it even better out here.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:28 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,742,393 times
Welcome back to the Valley of the Sun! If you haven't visited in a while I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the growth Since you left. For those of you who have never experienced a summer here let me just say they are intense! However, relief is about an hour north where cooler temps draw many of us valley dwellers, especially in July and August. Other than that you should enjoy life here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area