Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 05:45 PM

5 posts, read 8,831 times

Advertisements

My wife and i are pretty serious about moving from richmond, va, to phoenix. I want to live in north phoenix, and was wondering what "towns" should we look at. We want large lots, because we have a good size lot now, preferably 1+ acre. We also know some homes can be right on top of each other. We are not against living rurally, but when we do move i will be opening an hvac repair and installation company, so we would need to be close to interstates. I would appreciate some help. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:56 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,175,351 times
The Desert Hills/New River area will work well for you. Just east of I-17 and along Carefree Hwy it is a mix of horse properties and custom homes. This was a very popular area before the downturn many nice custom homes were built between 2001 and 2006. Most of the area is zoned at one acre minimum, but many with 2.5 or 5 acre lots. This area is predominantly county jurisdiction (no problem parking trucks and equipment). Close to shopping, dining and not too far from entertainment.

If you want something a little more upscale you can go east to Cave Creek, similar makeup at a slightly higher price point.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:11 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,984 times
If you want to live in North Phoenix(the actual city limits) then you're going to have to compromise on a 1 acre lot. They're very few and far between. You didn't give us a price range but the areas of North Scottsdale, Cave Creek, and Carefree can definitely offer you a home on a acre lot but you will pay for it. Your best bet will be to seek out a rural area that's close to the Phoenix metro. Rural cities off of I17 that are relatively close to Phoenix are New River and Black Canyon City. You can easily get an acre lot in both areas. IMO I think your business would be much more profitable if you lived in the metro area. There are plenty of areas where you can get a decent sized lot. It might not be an acre but your neighbors won't be breathing down your neck. Good luck to you!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Just an opinion, take it for what it's worth, but a full acre here might be more trouble than it's worth. If you want it grassed in, you'll be paying for water, and if you want desert landscaping you'll have to deal with weeds. If you just let the land run wild, you might get to see a few snakes up close and personal.

An acre is about 33k square feet, if I remember correctly from re school - and if it were me, I'd be looking for perhaps 10k-ish square feet of dirt. That's enough land that you shouldn't hear your neighbor's toilet flush, but you also won't have a full-time job patrolling for weeds. It'll also give you a lot more homes to pick from. North Phoenix might be a good area for an Hvac business - if you look somewhere around where the 101 meets the 51/ I17, you can get all over the valley pretty easily at off-peak hours.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:39 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
There are 1 acre horse properties in various locations around town. I remember a bunch of them in proximity to 56th Street and Sweetwater.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 PM

5 posts, read 8,831 times
Around 200k, but could swing 225k. That is our range. Thanks for the helpful responses.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Just an opinion, take it for what it's worth, but a full acre here might be more trouble than it's worth. If you want it grassed in, you'll be paying for water, and if you want desert landscaping you'll have to deal with weeds. If you just let the land run wild, you might get to see a few snakes up close and personal.

An acre is about 33k square feet, if I remember correctly from re school - and if it were me, I'd be looking for perhaps 10k-ish square feet of dirt. That's enough land that you shouldn't hear your neighbor's toilet flush, but you also won't have a full-time job patrolling for weeds. It'll also give you a lot more homes to pick from. North Phoenix might be a good area for an Hvac business - if you look somewhere around where the 101 meets the 51/ I17, you can get all over the valley pretty easily at off-peak hours.
Actually an acre is 43,560K square feet.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:23 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,278,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarona3184 View Post
Around 200k, but could swing 225k. That is our range. Thanks for the helpful responses.
Finding a home on a one acre lot for under $250K seems virtually impossible to me. Unless you purchase on with a trailer on it.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:01 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,175,351 times
There are 18 in the Desert Hills/New River area. Some very nice ones.

15 in Wittman/Surprise and 1 very nice one in Peoria. All 1+ acre. Some built as recently as 2007. No trailers.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:49 AM

675 posts, read 1,414,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
On the contrary I think land here is much easier to take care of than back east. Most people do not have grass. Just landscaping rocks & dirt. We have 1.25 ac here and had .61 ac back in Ohio. I spend FAR less time with yardwork here than I did back there. Here I occasionally spray for weeds in a few places but that's about it. No mowing, raking, etc. Very easy to take care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area