Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:04 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,351,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorkFeinix View Post
I'm always inbetween PHX and NYC as i have a son there. I love the desert look of Phx but sometimes when im there too long i start missing the fresh feel and look of grass and trees. i know Az must have a couple of places that are greener then were i go. I was wondering if there was a term for it specialy for anyone who relocated there.
Certain areas of the Valley are definitely more green. Central Phoenix (Arcadia), South Tempe and Chandler have a lot areas that have grass and trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,290,975 times
I have a cure:

The Coco's at PV mall has grass out front. We go there, breathe deeply, smell the grass, have a nice lunch, then walk over to See's candy and buy some California Brittle.

Works every time.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:31 PM

5 posts, read 10,050 times
Unlike you, we were not brave enough to go "cold turkey". Coming from the lush greenery of the North East, we spent a few years in Cali to prepare ourselves for the next transition. The silly thing was that I was expecting this desert to be more like the ones we see in the movies so I was surprised to see how many plants do grow here - especially with the help of water. But this is not the North East and we do not try to make it one. Still we do sometimes miss the North East (especially the beauty in Spring and Autumn) but then again we will miss the beauty of the desert here and Az in general if we have to move.
Probably the bigger issue for us was the temperature in summer - but we just learn to adjust to it. While not loving it, it is part and parcel of living in this beautiful desert.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,100,053 times
We dearly miss our greenery,clean air,big skies clear water rivers and mountains of Montana BUT I for one don't miss -40 deg days, clouds and such 9 months of the year etc. We also miss the Redwood forests we grew up with and for my wife (who grew up on the coast) the ocean's smell and sounds. Life is change, every place has it's beauty and we're looking forward to visiting the Grand Canyon this year (1st time for my wife) and when we really need the green injection we go visit relatives and friends in the areas we miss. For a quick fix we go to Flagstaff or the mountains surrounding Tucson.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:22 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,797 times
Is there a word or term for when you start missing the green stuff?

Green with envy perhaps?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Certain areas of the Valley are definitely more green. Central Phoenix (Arcadia), South Tempe and Chandler have a lot areas that have grass and trees.
Very well-written.

I love green lawns and shadetrees, and I really don't understand how so many people get by without them in the summertime.

I would prefer those greebelt areas you wrote about but the problem is most of the homes are too old for my tastes, too many decay and repair issues that I don't want to deal with.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:52 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,109,056 times
Yes, all the houses here in Ocotillo must have grass in the front. HOA mandates it. And I like the pine trees in the parkways (that drop needles all over but smell great when it rains.)

Old 04-06-2012, 09:25 AM

278 posts, read 548,241 times
i need to visit Ocotillo hahah
Has anyone here seen that movie where? the guy lives on his lawn after his wife leaves him. It takes place in phx.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,351,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Very well-written.

I love green lawns and shadetrees, and I really don't understand how so many people get by without them in the summertime.

I would prefer those greebelt areas you wrote about but the problem is most of the homes are too old for my tastes, too many decay and repair issues that I don't want to deal with.
Check out South Tempe and Chandler. The homes are not old and they have plenty of grass and trees in many of the areas.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:24 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,142,391 times
Or live on a golf course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area