Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 09:20 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,984,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, the article describes how they monitor it in terms of what they look for... they aren't going in the houses, so let's not get started down that road.
You ever lived in a community w/ an HOA comprised of retired folks? I own a house with a group like this. Trust me, they're bored enough and they WILL!

In the summer when they all run for Wisconsin or wherever there is a peace of mind that my younger college aged renters won't be complained about for things like using their grill or having people over. In the winter I get plenty of loony complaint letters about the rear end of a car slightly in the street, or a garbage can was left out one day too long (but was still put away) and other elderly nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 10:06 AM

8,285 posts, read 8,694,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
You ever lived in a community w/ an HOA comprised of retired folks? I own a house with a group like this. Trust me, they're bored enough and they WILL!

In the summer when they all run for Wisconsin or wherever there is a peace of mind that my younger college aged renters won't be complained about for things like using their grill or having people over. In the winter I get plenty of loony complaint letters about the rear end of a car slightly in the street, or a garbage can was left out one day too long (but was still put away) and other elderly nonsense.
This thread is about 55+ not old people on HOAs boards.

People in a 55+ are not bored. They can't find the time for all of the things there is to do. No one I know would want a car sticking out in the street or garbage cans left out no matter what the age is. You probably have a couple old people and base your opinion on them. I would rather have them than landlords that lower property values, rent to the wrong type of people, and try to change a neighborhood for their own personal profit.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:12 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,984,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
This thread is about 55+ not old people on HOAs boards.

People in a 55+ are not bored. They can't find the time for all of the things there is to do. No one I know would want a car sticking out in the street or garbage cans left out no matter what the age is. You probably have a couple old people and base your opinion on them. I would rather have them than landlords that lower property values, rent to the wrong type of people, and try to change a neighborhood for their own personal profit.
The question was whether a group of volunteer would enforce such a thing. My answer is yes, that could very well happen and it does. In theory I'd rather have a group of mindful retirees keeping an eye on the neighborhood, in practice, I'd rather they didn't.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:57 PM

416 posts, read 261,027 times
The thread was specifically about Sun City, at least as I read it JGM. In that I spent three years rebuilding the Sun City Home Owners Association (SCHOA) in the mid 2000's it did strike a nerve. I've written volumes on the community and know it intimately.

SCHOA is yet another in a self-governed free-standing organization that helps keep Sun City different from any others (Sun City West is close). The cost to belong is a whopping $20 per year (yes, per year) and joining is voluntary. The CC&R's are one of the documents you sign when you buy here and there's about 10 easy to follow items (and they are mandatory).

When we rebuilt it, we added a component where SCHOA monthly helps those who aren't able to clean up their properties. The compliance officers don't "police" the community. They do respond to complaints by neighbors, but the goal is to work with people, not pound them into submission.

Back in the rebuild we had some zealots who went around finding hundreds of what they felt were violations but we told them straight-up, that isn't how we work. And best of all, we have the leeway to be flexible; it's how the CC&R's are written.

As far as kids, they get 90 days, the number of them doesn't matter. Enforcing the federal age overlay is the single most important task they have. The worst case is when people have rentals and ignore the documents they sign. It's not the people renting who are violating the CC&R's, but the home owner; and that's who they go after.

As far as the number of posts, it was a merely a point of silliness. What anyone does with their time really is only important to them.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:52 AM

604 posts, read 936,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gordon View Post
The thread was specifically about Sun City, at least as I read it JGM. In that I spent three years rebuilding the Sun City Home Owners Association (SCHOA) in the mid 2000's it did strike a nerve. I've written volumes on the community and know it intimately.

SCHOA is yet another in a self-governed free-standing organization that helps keep Sun City different from any others (Sun City West is close). The cost to belong is a whopping $20 per year (yes, per year) and joining is voluntary. The CC&R's are one of the documents you sign when you buy here and there's about 10 easy to follow items (and they are mandatory).

When we rebuilt it, we added a component where SCHOA monthly helps those who aren't able to clean up their properties. The compliance officers don't "police" the community. They do respond to complaints by neighbors, but the goal is to work with people, not pound them into submission.
This is one of the many reasons that make this a GREAT place. Even though it's the oldest it is still perhaps THE best age restricted community in the nation.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:24 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,773,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
This is one of the many reasons that make this a GREAT place. Even though it's the oldest it is still perhaps THE best age restricted community in the nation.
We love living here and we have even been turned in twice now by a neighbor for a violation. We were politely told to correct it, nothing nasty or overbearing. We did and all is good. I would rather be governed by this HOA than the others we had and have to deal with regarding our rentals. Some are Nazis and fine you at the drop of a paperclip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area