Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Are you serious?

There have been a ton of projects that have broken ground or have already been completed in the last 4 years and I don't doubt that for many, if not all, the proximity of light rail was one of the reasons they are there.

ASU Downtown, 44 Monroe, Cityscape, One Central Park East just to name a few...there are many many more.
I think you're right, and there probably would have been more development in the places that need it but the double-dip recession had a lot to do with why things aren't getting built faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:03 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,328,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Our ideas of what public transit should be are obviously different and we're not going to agree on this. I don't think public transit should make a profit, it's there for the public to use if they need to and it's for the greater good of the city. It's like public parks...do you expect those to make some sort of profit? Or museums (which I think should have no entrance fee).
Transit is for the greater good, I agree. However, I don't see why it couldn't be funded (or at least partially funded) by private enterprise & user fees. Government and taxes don't always have to be involved in providing a public service. Look at utility companies: they provide essential services for the good of the public, but they are not government organizations. In fact, I believe there might be more progress with mass transit & freeways if they were privately run. Don't knock profits ... they can actually be motivators for competition & better efficiency.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Transit is for the greater good, I agree. However, I don't see why it couldn't be funded (or at least partially funded) by private enterprise & user fees. Government and taxes don't always have to be involved in providing a public service. Look at utility companies: they provide essential services for the good of the public, but they are not government organizations. In fact, I believe there might be more progress with mass transit & freeways if they were privately run. Don't knock profits ... they can actually be motivators for competition & better efficiency.
I disagree.

Tollroads are a good example of private business getting involved in public works. They amount to double taxation because you pay a fee for using the road and a tax to the city or state on top of it.

The government-run system isn't perfect but it's the best we got, everyone chips in a little to support mass transit, police, libraries, schools, parks, and other public services for the greater good.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:07 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,306,530 times
How many times must we correct the propaganda that "private" transit is any more self-supporting than public transit?

Phoenix is so far behind in this aspect, and yet too many people still want to turn back the clock. It blows my mind.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:33 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,328,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
The government-run system isn't perfect but it's the best we got, everyone chips in a little to support mass transit, police, libraries, schools, parks, and other public services for the greater good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
How many times must we correct the propaganda that "private" transit is any more self-supporting than public transit?
Because typically, when government is in charge of projects, the costs are greater and the progress is slower. Even if government was as equally efficient as private enterprise, I just think a greater percentage of private businesses and individuals who support things like transit, schools, etc., should be contirbuting more on their own. It's the basic concept of: you use it, you pay for it.

As in the Tempe streetcar project, there are a good share of corporate offices in the area that have workers who use transit. Companies in the area benefit from having a good variety of transit services, so they along with their workers who use transit, should be willing to flip the bill. Making everybody chip in amounts to forced taxation ... and remember, a tax is hardly ever temporary.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post

Phoenix is so far behind in this aspect, and yet too many people still want to turn back the clock. It blows my mind.
Privately-funded anything that is meant for the good of the public is never better.

When I moved here I remember all the complaining over the Diamondbacks NL stadium funded with tax money, the madness lasted for awhile but nobody is complaining now.

Then there was all the opposition to light rail because it was publicly-funded, but the detractors hardly make a peep now ever since ridership numbers outweighed original predictions.

I think the same will be true with the Tempe streetcar, the detractors will stomp their feet and cry wolf now, but when it is a success there will be less noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area