Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:00 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,964,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Housing market is imploding in Gilbert------and, that city seems to be in denial.

Just reading and hearing some of the news is disturbing lately. I'm afraid to point anyone in that direction anymore. What the heck is going on over there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 08:38 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Just reading and hearing some of the news is disturbing lately. I'm afraid to point anyone in that direction anymore. What the heck is going on over there?
I am not sure.......although; some years ago Gilbert had a problem with a White Supremacist gang named the Devil Dogs-------saddest part were these punks were affluent kids of both Anglo White and Hispanic heritage.

In all fairness; neighborhoods tend to change over time; certain areas in central Phoenix which were crap 15 years are fast becoming desirable due to their proximity to downtown, etc.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:51 PM

547 posts, read 1,186,127 times
Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I was at 67th Ave and Indian School looking at a car the other day; suffice to say I did not start feeling 'better' till 15th Ave on east.
I totally agree with you about that area of Phoenix, especially at night.
Just curious, do you think of that area as in the West Valley? Because many people from the East Valley and the media seem to think so, but Phoenix goes all the way to 123rd (El Mirage) at its farthest West tip. I think about the West Valley as those areas beyond the Phoenix City limits on the West side and the East Valley as those areas beyond the Phoenix City limits on the East side. I'm sure you can understand why as a resident of the West Valley, I would like to make the point that area is not in the West Valley.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:37 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,326,448 times
In my mental map of the area, I personally consider the West Valley to be everything west of I-17. That includes the western part of the city of Phoenix, as well as the usual suspects (Glendale, Peoria, Avondale, Buckeye, Surprise, Goodyear, Sun City). I'm not sure if that's the "official" definition or not, but there's a LOT of people who see it that way too.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:57 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
In my mental map of the area, I personally consider the West Valley to be everything west of I-17. That includes the western part of the city of Phoenix, as well as the usual suspects (Glendale, Peoria, Avondale, Buckeye, Surprise, Goodyear, Sun City). I'm not sure if that's the "official" definition or not, but there's a LOT of people who see it that way too.
Ditto.

And to me at least; the psychological dividing line seems to run roughly along the 15th Ave meridian.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:21 AM

I hear that a lot. I wonder why that is. In the West Valley we consider Avondale, Buckeye, Goodyear, Litchfield Park and Tolleson as the West Valley, but not any areas within Phoenix. What about the East Valley? Where does the East Valley start? Does it include Phoenix as well?

Old 09-18-2007, 09:25 AM

611 posts, read 2,309,608 times
In addition to my earlier post of east vs west doesn't matter, I would also like to share with people considering relocating here that the issue of drug and illegal immigrant drop homes is not as bad as you might think reading these boards. We've have lived here for a few years now, and haven't experienced any of this. In the nicer areas of Phoenix and the surrounding cities, it is rare and nothing to worry about.

The latter posts in this thread raise another point that newcomers need to be aware of. When we first found out we were coming here, we thought we were moving to "Phoenix" and my husband's job was in "Phoenix"....even though it was actually in Glendale. People refer to the entire area including all the surrounding cities as "Phoenix". We were informed that the east/west dividing line was Central Ave because all roads to the west of that are called "avenues" and all roads to the east are called "streets". Here's a link to a thread that includes a cool map and discussion of the W, NW, N, NE, E, SE, etc boundaries of the "entire Phoenix area": https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...st-valley.html

Old 09-18-2007, 09:52 AM

Good point. I'm sorry I went off topic. I felt if we were discussing East and West we should know what areas are included in those designations. I should have done a search and found the thread you linked here, but I thought it was valid and necessary to identify on this thread in order to respond to the OP. Thank you so much for pointing me and others in the right direction Great Joy.
My humble apologies to you all. I am still (slowly) learning the ins and outs of posting
in forums.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:11 AM

611 posts, read 2,309,608 times
Arizona Annie, please know that I don't think you need to apologize for anything. I'm sorry if my post made you feel that way. I assure you that was not my intent. I was just kindly adding to what you and others were saying. I think it's great that you and others were adding some important and relative comments.

By the way, I'm new to this too. What is OP?

Old 09-18-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
Arizona Annie, please know that I don't think you need to apologize for anything. I'm sorry if my post made you feel that way. I assure you that was not my intent. I was just kindly adding to what you and others were saying. I think it's great that you and others were adding some important and relative comments.

By the way, I'm new to this too. What is OP?
Great Joy, Good morning! It wasn't really your post making me feel that way. I was already concerned I was taking the thread off topic with my inquiries. I wanted to apologize because I would hate to be the one to cause a thread to close for going off topic.

"OP" is "Original Poster" I believe. At least that is what I have been able to determine from my time on here so far. There are a lot of other acronyms too, but I'm still trying to figure some of them out. I've asked about some and didn't receive an answer, so I suspect some may be inappropriate to spell out.

No worries. Have a wonderful day!!!
Annie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area