Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,972,468 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of people that move out to Phoenix hate the cookie cutter houses and I can definitely why, but with a some remodeling, you can really change it so it doesn't look so cookie cutter.

Just finished a month long remodeling project of the master suite and I think we may have over improved for the house/neighborhood but we're happy with how it came out.

We were going for an HGTV style update...sort of Craftsman (think millwork...big baseboards, wood shutters, crown mouldings) meets New York boutique hotel type of look.

Basically everything but the furniture was changed down to the the light switch covers. One of my favorite thing we did was change out the hallow flat panel doors with solid core ones that not only look way better but have a great heavy feel to them.

It came out exactly as we imagined and were hoping it would...except the wall paint which was supposed to be a bit more of a gray but it came out having a blueish tint and is a bit too light. We may repaint the walls but we'll see how we feel about it after a couple weeks. Also want to add a rug and a few pictures on the wall.

So...here is it. First, a few before pictures...

And after!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 06:50 AM

19,464 posts, read 27,972,650 times
Looks great!!!! I actually like the slight blue tint to the wall color - it's a warmer feel than gray. The wood shutters with the crown molding look terrific!

A couple of questions if I may? What color, size and material did you use for the wood floors? And are the bathroom countertops marble?

Old 04-14-2012, 08:04 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,781,959 times
Bravo. Looks just like an HGTV redo. The master bath is awesome.
To avoid painting rooms with the wrong shade/tone/color, buy a quart of the color you think will work then paint a small section of each wall to get the full impact of the light changes at different times of the day. The color you chose looks good on the screen.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:05 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,141,188 times
Looks great! The color doesn't look blue at all on my monitor. I love the mosaic tiles in the bath. I'd add a splash of a bright, warm color here and there, like raspberry.

The chandelier over the tub might be a code violation but I don't know if it matters for anything. It's not like they make you fix it to sell or anything.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Looks great!!!! I actually like the slight blue tint to the wall color - it's a warmer feel than gray. The wood shutters with the crown molding look terrific!

A couple of questions if I may? What color, size and material did you use for the wood floors? And are the bathroom countertops marble?
Thanks! The floors are an engineered maple wood, 6" wide planks and it's called "Autumn Spice".

The countertop is marble, called Calacatta Oro. We got so lucky with it...originally we were thinking Cararra Marble but when we started looking around, the Cararra looked too gray, we wanted something a lot more white with just some gray veins. We spotted the Calacatta Oro slabs and loved them...only to find out they were $60/sq ft (compared to $20 for Carrara) and you have to buy a whole 40sq ft slab. We were bummed as there was no way we were going to pay $2400 for the slab...then we found a place that sells remnant pieces from other peoples completed jobs. They had a couple pieces of Calacatta Oro that were literally the EXACT size we needed, we had about 1/2" to spare and they sold them to use for $125!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM

344 posts, read 815,278 times
I prefer the "before" pics...just kidding. Thanks for sharing. Definitely a nice improvement.

On the paint color I'd go with something equally neutral but warmer to better complement the floor, rather than what's on there or what was intended. Just one opinion. Bathroom's a little bright for me; I'd tone down the lighting and add some types of contrasting color there. That's just an opinion of course, as tastes vary.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 AM

90 posts, read 151,150 times
That looks fantastic! We are going to redo our master too and I wanted to know where you got the marble slab remnant from?

Old 04-14-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
I prefer the "before" pics...just kidding. Thanks for sharing. Definitely a nice improvement.

On the paint color I'd go with something equally neutral but warmer to better complement the floor, rather than what's on there or what was intended. Just one opinion. Bathroom's a little bright for me; I'd tone down the lighting and add some types of contrasting color there. That's just an opinion of course, as tastes vary.
All the lights are on dimmers!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Hungrybb View Post
That looks fantastic! We are going to redo our master too and I wanted to know where you got the marble slab remnant from?
Thanks! The granite/marble place is called JR McDade and they are around 21st Ave and McDowell. They sell everything for $5/sq ft and they have a huge selection though all different shapes and sizes. They cal also do the fabrication and they did a fantastic job with that. We wanted them to do the front lamination at a 45 degree angle so you can't see the seem and they did it perfectly. Total price was $740 including the marble, fabrication, installation (sinks install included as well).

Old 04-14-2012, 10:10 AM

80 posts, read 172,340 times
Awesome job, looks great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area