Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 04:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,097,625 times

Advertisements

Why would someone on here do this? I am always amazed at how some people act these days. Here we are, hopefully trying to be helpful to an out of state person moving here, and this is what we get. If this IS a scam, OP, may you have a curse on your house forever !

Old 04-14-2012, 05:15 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,177,083 times
I believe the new member is being scammed.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:52 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,746,481 times
I too would caution the OP to proceed carefully and not sign anything until they walk around the house/area. I think $900 sounds awfully cheap for the type of house she described and in that area.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:56 PM

800 posts, read 1,916,066 times
A step further - don't sign anything or especially hand over a cash deposit, even if you've met the "owner" - there is another scam where someone posing as the owner "rents" the place, takes the cash, and the "renter" is out of both cash and a home. You can check ownership of a home on the tax records on the county web site at Maricopa.gov.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:57 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,140,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentstate57 View Post
Actually I think the OP is a scam.
I agree. Something sales-y about the post.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 AM

6 posts, read 6,833 times
I checked out the owner, and it is who he says. He has talked to us by phone and emails. I saw his house on Zillow, I think it was, and also a rental site - maybe hotpads (can't remember which one). He had it for sale but they decided they wanted to come back to the house instead of selling. The asking price was $1350/mth. I bartered with them, almost backed out a couple times, then told them what we could pay. It's not for the 3 yrs; we just know in 3 yrs. we'd have to leave, unless something else happened (selling, extension - whatever). They could leave their house empty but he says they just want someone in it who would treat it as if it was their own. The house is still listed but he said they would take c/o cancelling that unless we didn't commit, possibly. He knows it would only be for two of us, plus our two dogs, and I am 61 and my husband is almost 60. I don't know if that makes a difference or not...who knows. We do have family in Phoenix but I didn't want to involve them until I have to (we didn't want to tell people we were leaving until we know we are going to), so I do have someone that can go to the house but the problem is, the owner isn't there, he is (allegedly?) in a town in the states - I forgot for the moment where, doesn't matter. How else could I find out if he's legit? We don't have the money to move plus visit before moving, plus my son is getting married late Sept. so I have to come back for that anyway, and even that will be tough financially. Obviously I will need our family in Phoenix to check it out but I still don't know how they could. Should they maybe talk to the neighbors? I don't know if they are "nervy" enough to do that, though I would...

And I'm not the scammer; I just want to believe this could be.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:23 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,097,625 times
thanks, OP, for restoring my faith in people ! Maybe someone on here might volunteer to go check out the house, if they live close to that area?? I still say, be cautious. Why not involve your family in Phoenix with a " we may POSSIBLY be moving there, but not sure yet." Good luck to you.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,140,041 times
My first step would be to go to maricopa.gov and see if the person trying to rent you this house is the owner of the house. (Oh, I just noticed S. Chris already recommended that. I would still be afraid. He might own it and foreclosure might be imminent. You could live there two weeks and then removed.)

My next step would be to contact a realtor to find me a rental that doesn't require haggling them down 30% and taking a leap of faith into possible scamville. Sorry, it's not worth it to me. Not with scams happening. Your downside risk is huge.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 AM

19,462 posts, read 27,955,044 times
Fb 1951, tell us how you "checked out the owner" so far. Then, I'm sure others (including me) will suggest some additional steps to take.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:44 AM

6 posts, read 6,833 times
I meant I checked to see who owned the house, checked various sites to see if the house was really for rent/sale. I checked just now on maricopa.gov to see the documents for the house, and a couple other places he's owned in the past several years. I did tell the guy how my husband and I had to walk away from our house a few years back due to the economy. He said they really cared more about having their house respected and cared for than the money itself. We are afraid to apply elsewhere because, even though we lost our own house, we are responsible people and pay our rent, etc. I was able to get a new car in '09 and have never missed a payment, and they are high. We just don't look good on paper. See why we are kinda' desperate to have credibility in other areas? I know all this seems odd/unusual but I have to be honest. I will also check to see about criminal records.

I really really appreciate the input here. I didn't know where to turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area