Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 AM

675 posts, read 1,419,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB 1951 View Post
... Would we be so far out that everything is too far??? Any help you could give me, we would really be grateful. I like the sunshine and heat, but the desert not so much, and I won't be visiting those great outdoors, away from people. When we miss trees (and we will), we can visit them north, and the snow, too.
Why do you say this is 'far out'. The location you described is not remote in any way.
One thing you should do is spend some time using google street view 'driving around the area'. You can see pix of the house and make sure it at least looks like what the owner is showing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB 1951 View Post
The house is still listed but he said they would take c/o cancelling that unless we didn't commit, possibly.
Find out who the listing agent is and contact them. They might be able to help confirm some information for you.

If you can't make a visit personally, definitely have your family or a realtor help check it out.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,784,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
My first step would be to go to maricopa.gov and see if the person trying to rent you this house is the owner of the house. (Oh, I just noticed S. Chris already recommended that. I would still be afraid. He might own it and foreclosure might be imminent. You could live there two weeks and then removed.)

My next step would be to contact a realtor to find me a rental that doesn't require haggling them down 30% and taking a leap of faith into possible scamville. Sorry, it's not worth it to me. Not with scams happening. Your downside risk is huge.
Ditto this, very easy to see who the owner is. Or you may want to contact a realtor to help you with this lease...I would.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:57 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,141,716 times
How anyone renting a private home protects themselves against scams entirely, I'm not sure. Obviously, through a good lease but even with the law on your side it's hard to get money from someone who leaves the state or has none. And the homeowner/landlord is taking a big risk as well. Maybe it's always a leap of faith by both parties?

Still I think I'd look for a rental more suited to your needs. A 4/3 seems like a lot of house for one couple. I'd trade that square footage for some peace of mind from knowing I'm renting at market rates.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 AM

509 posts, read 1,703,415 times
That scam was very popular in Phoenix about year or so ago . scammers rented houses out to multiple people and collected first months rent from all of them . then people found out that they have been duped .

Old 04-15-2012, 10:51 AM

681 posts, read 1,564,478 times
I would be EXCEPTIONALLY cautious... when you google the phone number associated with the listing, the first two entries are for rentals that had appeared on Zillow (and have since been removed). One in Oklahoma City and one in Birmingham, AL. They were posted on March 9 and 10 of this year by a Donna Booker (which doesn't match the name on the listing you are looking at)....
I really doubt that the phone number magically changed hands to Lee Miller in the last month and he is now coincidentally trying to rent a house.

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and looks like a duck... it's probably a duck.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:57 AM

Oh and I just googled the address and it is listed for sale for $280,000 with the same pictures used in the "rental" ad.

Maybe I have the wrong listing - but from what you described... I don't think so...

Old 04-15-2012, 11:49 AM

6 posts, read 6,837 times
Tired... No, it's Lee's. I checked records (maricopa.gov) and it is his and has been for a while (I forget how long - in years). Listings everywhere I've found are for the same guy, no Donna. Where are you looking? I want to check too. He had a property listing in CA before and this is the 2nd one in AZ (not seen in realty, just the records). I do think we are on the right track. He is also taking a risk with us.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,141,716 times
Has he told you the house is listed for sale?

I do know someone who rents their houses under market but she rents to friends and family and then friends of friends, if needed. It seems odd if he just wants someone to take care of it he would need to resort to out-of-town strangers found on the internet, especially ones with poor credit and a large car payment. (Not that there's anything wrong with that but it's not a landlord's dream tenant.)

Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 AM

FB 1951....

Just type the phone number he has listed on the rental site into google and you will see the first two entries that come up. Don't bother clicking on them as they are de-activated.. but the beauty of google is that it archives info and you can see what you need to see in the search results (ie. The phone number was for a Donna Booker and she had postings for rentals on Zillow) - they were posted a month ago.

Then... in a separate google search... type in the address of the property that is "allegedly" for rent by one Mr. Lee Miller. The first thing that comes up is the sale listing for the property and it was only listed for sale 5 days ago (mls #4742126)
The person who placed the rental ad has access to the public records as well. They may have just pulled the photo's of the real estate agents site, looked up the owner of the house on the public records (who I would guess is Lee Miller), and posted their rental ad. Make sense? It all looks very legit - but that's why scams are so successful!

Why don't you call the agent that has it listed for sale and ask if the owner is looking to rent it?? That will give you a definite answer about whether the rental listing is a scam (which I am almost positive it is). Asking if Lee Miller owns the house is not helpful - you already know that... but I don't think that you have ever actually spoken to Lee Miller... just someone posing as him.

Sorry... I don't want to sound rude - but you seem like a nice person who is only trying to get ahead. I would hate to see some shady scam artist take away your hard earned cash.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,180,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
FB 1951....

Just type the phone number he has listed on the rental site into google and you will see the first two entries that come up. Don't bother clicking on them as they are de-activated.. but the beauty of google is that it archives info and you can see what you need to see in the search results (ie. The phone number was for a Donna Booker and she had postings for rentals on Zillow) - they were posted a month ago.

Then... in a separate google search... type in the address of the property that is "allegedly" for rent by one Mr. Lee Miller. The first thing that comes up is the sale listing for the property and it was only listed for sale 5 days ago (mls #4742126)
The person who placed the rental ad has access to the public records as well. They may have just pulled the photo's of the real estate agents site, looked up the owner of the house on the public records (who I would guess is Lee Miller), and posted their rental ad. Make sense? It all looks very legit - but that's why scams are so successful!

Why don't you call the agent that has it listed for sale and ask if the owner is looking to rent it?? That will give you a definite answer about whether the rental listing is a scam (which I am almost positive it is). Asking if Lee Miller owns the house is not helpful - you already know that... but I don't think that you have ever actually spoken to Lee Miller... just someone posing as him.

Sorry... I don't want to sound rude - but you seem like a nice person who is only trying to get ahead. I would hate to see some shady scam artist take away your hard earned cash.
This post says it all. Run, do not walk, away from this "too good to be true" deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area