Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 AM

45 posts, read 97,916 times

Advertisements

Instead of "squishing " them why don't you throw them out in the wash like I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:53 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,140,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainhillsorbust View Post
Instead of "squishing " them why don't you throw them out in the wash like I do?
In the wash? Like in the washing machine? Or in the riverbed out back?

I've bought Cykick before from the pest control supply store. It's cyfluthrin. That Amazon price isn't bad. I think I paid almost $70 for that little bottle.

Quote:
The PHX forum has a HUGE fascination with scorpions. I'm not sure why. They're not a big part of life here. I'm way more worried about roaches.
Scorpions are a part of life in the groves area of north Mesa, where this post-er lives. And they're a fear of people relocating here, because they don't know they're not in every house. I think that's the main reason they get talked about.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,746,481 times
Get a cat and you won't have to worry again!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 PM

32 posts, read 50,269 times
You can buy Diatomaceous Earth at Lowes and sprinkle it around your property. It prevents them from absorbing moisture, which kills them by dehydration. Keeping the outside bug free is the best idea. Once the weather warms up, I keep my black light out and go hunting every single night. I use a long pole with a flat bottom to squash them as I find them. They tend to hang out in river rock. They won't glow if they've just shed their exoskeleton, until it hardens, a day maybe? Make sure that your windows and doors, including garage, are sealed properly so they can't find their way into your house. They will seek out moisture. I never saw a scorpion until I moved into this particular house. But if your neighbors don't spray for bugs on a regular basis, then scorpions may be finding their food source next door. Which leads to breeding and making their way to your house. The black light is my best friend! Look into identifying the species. The Bark Scorpion is the most common. It has narrow pinschers and the segments of it's tail get longer with each one. My daughter was stung by one once, not at home, and she was fine. Unless you are allergic, then I understand it's like a wasp sting. I've seen my cat get stung (we have an outdoor enclosure for him) and he had no reaction to it. The more you know about them, the more secure you will feel in your dealing with them. If you have any trees that touch your home, keep them trimmed away from the house. Scorpions love Mesquites and will always find a way into your home via the tree. Best of luck!

Redirect Notice

SE Arizona Solpugid #1 - BugGuide.Net This is a Sun Spider, locally known as. These eat scorpions, if you see one, let it be. They can get huge, but are your friend!

I'm not good on the links on this site, so I apologize if it comes up funny after posting. I saw that it said "Redirect Notice"...it is the link to the photo of the Bark Scorpion. I didn't label it that...but it still works.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 PM

228 posts, read 344,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulanut View Post
My daughter was stung by one once, not at home, and she was fine. Unless you are allergic, then I understand it's like a wasp sting.
We had this too; my 7 yr old daughter was stung last May when we were visiting Phoenix on our pre-move trip:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...pion-last.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulanut View Post
The more you know about them, the more secure you will feel in your dealing with them.
I certainly felt a lot more secure after my daughter was stung; she's the smallest so presumably the most susceptible out of the family, and clearly not allergic. Before that, I'd read up and watched YouTube videos, programmed the number for Poison Control into my cell (in that 'Laws of Jinx will now mean I never need it' way - stupid Laws of Jinx!), and reassured myself that even people reporting severe reactions seemed to have 1-2 hours warning of deterioration; it didn't seem to be like allergic bee stings where it's an epi injection within 3 mins or...

So yes, that's how I think of them now: non-flying, non-aggressive wasps. That'll pretty much only bother me if I actually step on them.

We went out blacklight hunting last night, and found 6 in the yard, including 2 climbing up the back wall of the house. I'm hoping a regular outside patrol will keep down the numbers in the house.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:38 AM

391 posts, read 789,967 times
I have finally come to the conclusion that women really don't like spiders or scorpions. I don't love them either but all the females I know freak on them. However, my brother (a 25 year fireman), and my dad will scream like little girls if a daddy-long-legs gets on them.

My daughter is headed to our place (we're not there) so we told her to take the blacklight and have a look around. We've had a few scorpions in the house. I honestly think they now will pay for a hotel rather than stay at our house because I said that.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
My daughter is headed to our place (we're not there) so we told her to take the blacklight and have a look around. We've had a few scorpions in the house. I honestly think they now will pay for a hotel rather than stay at our house because I said that.
My parents are coming out from England in a couple of weeks to stay with us. I decided not to mention the scorpions on the family blog I've been doing as they'll just hugely fret about it between now and then - creatures that can kill are a massively big deal to us safe and cosseted UKers - so I'll just give them a 'sensible precautions' talk when they arrive.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:23 AM

353 posts, read 658,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodokan View Post
My parents are coming out from England in a couple of weeks to stay with us. I decided not to mention the scorpions on the family blog I've been doing as they'll just hugely fret about it between now and then - creatures that can kill are a massively big deal to us safe and cosseted UKers - so I'll just give them a 'sensible precautions' talk when they arrive.
No worries. For what it's worth I've lived in the Phx are for about 37 of my 39 yrs. I've never seen a single scorpion anywhere I've lived. Not one. I've lived in older more established areas so that might be one reason. I've heard of them in some outlying areas and areas near desert but in the I don't even give them a second thought.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
I've heard of them in some outlying areas and areas near desert
Tick, and tick - which is why we've got them in the yard and occasionally the house. I've double-checked my parents have taken out medical insurance for their visit.

On the plus side, I expect my dad will be fascinated by blacklight hunting and will love having such a good story to tell on returning home.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:56 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,140,041 times
Quote:
creatures that can kill are a massively big deal to us safe and cosseted UKers
I think you're less likely to die from a scorpion sting than a bee sting. I've only ever heard of them being possibly fatal to the very young, very old, or otherwise immuno-compromised. You're probably a thousand times more likely to die in your car or bathtub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area