Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,314 times

Advertisements

My family and I are getting ready for our move to Arizona and am doing some home hunting. I have been out to visit a few times already and know it can get hot but is having a pool a real necessaity while living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 AM

675 posts, read 1,416,843 times
That's going to be completely subjective.
Do you like to swim to cool off when it is hot?
How much do you value the convenience of going to your back yard vs to a community pool or waterpark?

For us it was a must. ymmv

Old 05-02-2012, 11:16 AM

603 posts, read 947,155 times
It is not a necessity.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:26 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
There have been many threads about this in the past. Some will say yes, some will say no. If you think you might want one, find a house that already has one... it doesn't add nearly as much to the price/value of a house, in most cases, as it costs to put one in.

You should rent before you buy, if you don't know the area well, so rent a house with a pool and see what you think. Then you will know what you want to do when you buy.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 PM

289 posts, read 751,596 times
No, and you don't need air conditioning in your car or house either.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,238,953 times
Millions live in Phoenix without a pool so no it is not a necessity. That said, it sure makes it nice when it is hot out and you need some relief. Also nice to sit by the rest of the year while you enjoy a cocktail.

It is all up to you and what is important to you and if you have the time/money to deal with a pool. If you have really young children that may help make up your mind for safety reasons.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:55 PM

165 posts, read 406,106 times
You need food, air and shelter. A pool is not a necessity. It is a nice luxury if that is your thing. We have one and it gets used a lot during the summer. But, it is a want, not a need by any means.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:16 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,650,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpd View Post
You need food, air and shelter. A pool is not a necessity. It is a nice luxury if that is your thing. We have one and it gets used a lot during the summer. But, it is a want, not a need by any means.
I was going to say the same thing.
There aren't many necessities in life. Air, water, food, clothing, shelter. After that, it's a want. We "want" lots of things but they aren't absolutely needed for survival.
With all that said, a pool for me is a necessity for me to live in the desert. A pool is one of the many reasons I like the warm weather here. I can cool off and get some exercise at the same time.
Nothing like your own private pool to use whenever you like. It's kind of like your own bed. You still sleep but knowing that you are the only ones to use the pool is kind of comforting.
I wouldn't like having to use a public pool. Just too much trouble. Packing your stuff, driving to the pool and using a pool that a gozillion other people are using.
So is a pool a must have? For me it is. I'd survive just fine without one but I wouldn't be nearly as happy as I am about living in the Phoenix area.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:20 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
No, I don't think it is. It's a luxury. It's also an additional obligation that requires a lot of maintenance. I have a pool and I enjoy it but there are times I wish I didn't have a pool. If you have children, I think it's nice to have a pool, because they seem to get a lot of use out of it but if you are single or don't have children, I don't know how much use you will get out of it.

If you are someone who doesn't tolerate "The Heat" very well, I would recommend having a pool because taking a dip before bed and swimming in it during the summer will keep you noticeably cooler and you will enjoy your summers.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,338,205 times
I don't have one and don't want one. I wouldn't use it enough to justify the expense, maintenance time, and worry about safety. That said, a lot of people in Arizona DO want one. So I solved the problem by buying a house with no pool, but a lot big enough for a future owner to add one.

I make all decisions about my house with resale value in mind. Where I live, fewer than half the houses in the development have a pool, but pool ownership is still much higher than it is in most other states. Observer53 gave you good advice. If you decide you want a pool, buying a home with an existing pool is more cost effective than installing one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area