Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 04:23 AM

67 posts, read 250,231 times

Advertisements

My wife and I, both natives of the Atlanta area, are leaving the South and relocating to Arizona. Even though this is probably a good time to buy, my wife and I plan on renting for about a year to get the lay of the land and to make sure that Arizona is truly a place that we'd want to settle long term.

We have found several houses for rent in the Camelback Ranch subdivision near 107th Avenue and Camelback Road. It looks to be on the very western fringes of the Phoenix city limits.

Does anyone have experience with this area? Is it safe? I have heard a lot of negative things about a community called Maryvale along Camelback. Would Camelback Ranch be considered Maryvale? Is this area close to grocery stores and other entertainment?

I can't seem to find too much on this community as it is probaby pretty new.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 06:03 AM

344 posts, read 813,087 times
I live in a neighborhood like that that is only minutes away from there, and looked at houses in that locale as well. It's a nice area that remains on the short list of choices. There are some less-desirable neighborhoods a few minutes south around Indian School, but as with other areas of the city they're separate pockets that don't intermingle much IMO.

Before moving here, I first lived a little to the East, in Maryvale. Maryvale isn't as nice, but I didn't find it dangerous or a problem. It's just low-income and less nice. Plus as mentioned one area doesn't spill over or affect the other to any extent, IMO, and in using the freeway in most cases one wouldn't have much reason to drive though there, through do so wouldn't be an issue. I would say that there aren't a lot of extremely "bad" areas in Phoenix the way I've seen in various Eastern or Midwestern US cities.

Try to get an alarm system. That would apply to that or any area, for the added protection.

That's on the fringe of the West Valley, about 15 minutes by and conveniently close to the freeway to Central Phoenix, though that time would increase during rush hour. Not remote or far from other parts of the city, nor isolated. Sort of the last area that is on the western side of the city. It would only be difficult living there if commuting to other areas of the city on the eastern sides. I would say that many here live on certain sides of the city, don't commute too far and therefore don't feel the need to live in downtown or Central Phoenix. Initially I pondered whether to live in central locales, and found that I didn't need that and preferred the less urban, more suburban feel of being on the edges (but still within) the city.

Renting first, to get a sense of context is what I did and would agree with.

Last edited by sunluv; 04-21-2012 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area