Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 11:14 AM

10 posts, read 21,081 times

Advertisements

We'd like to buy a new house, the price limit we've come up with is around 165K.

There is a new small community at Camelback and 103 Ave near the villa de paz golf course, somewhere around $155K and $150 HOA including water bills, also Lennar will build homes at the Avondale blvd/Van Buren intersection and we are hoping we could find one for around $175K there.

Which one would you guys recommend? commute will be 10 minutes less in the villa de paz area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 12:12 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,335,349 times
I have some friends who own in Coldwater Springs which is right at Avondale and VB. They really like it there. That subdivision, at least, seems nice when I go over that way. Also have some relatives who live near that intersection but it is not Coldwater Springs. They rent their place and like the area as well. They have little kids in school there and the kids are doing well.

Don't know anything about the north side, but people generally say that north is the better side.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:11 PM

7,193 posts, read 4,779,634 times
I'm all for shorter commutes, but in this case I think the Coldwater Springs area would be better especially if you have school aged children.

I don't know why some people say the north side is better. Each neighborhood has to be analyzed on its own merits.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:46 PM

Thanks, I've also heard that about the North part, although I think they refer to North Avondale rather than West Phoenix (Camelback rd at 103rd ave), by the way today I drove through Van Buren and the community should be right accross from Coldwater spring's Golf course, the Lennar community I think its called Desert springs village, now the Villa de Paz community seems like a quiet neighborhood, although the homes (Saratoga springs) are closer to each other than your average homes.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:34 AM

1,112 posts, read 4,003,877 times
Both communities would be a solid choice. It's common to find the "avoid south of I-10" sentiment on this forum, but the areas along Avondale Blvd are pretty nice. The only thing I don't care for about that area is that it's sandwiched between old town Avondale, which isn't so nice, and the industrial area of Tolleson, which also isn't so nice.

They're both about the same distance to stores and things, The McDowell corridor between Dysart and Litchfield will be where most of the things are, no matter which neighborhood you pick.

With Camelback Ranch, there's a Fry's on 107th and Indian School, and a Walmart and Home Depot near Camelback and the 101. For everything else, you'll have to either commute back to Goodyear, or head over to the Desert Sky mall area, which isn't so nice. It would be closer to Westgate, if that would make any difference. There's also a Harkins, Costco, Best Buy etc. near 99th and McDowell. About the same distance from both communities.

The area around Avondale Blvd is probably more well located for shopping, but I'd have to give it to Camelback Ranch, just because of the former's location near Old Town and the industrial area of Tolleson, neither of which are very pleasant.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:14 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,496,407 times
Not an expert in the area, but have spent weekends in the area off of Avondale and Lower Buckeye on a pretty regular basis. Shopping for groceries is pretty close, you have Fry's on Buckeye & Avondale. Plus there is a Target store on 99th Avenue and Lower Buckeye that I just discovered. But for the bulk of your other purchases you will need to hit the McDowell corridor.

The downside to the Avondale area that I have seen so far is when there is a race at PIR it is a real pain to drive in the area and the shelves at the Fry's store can be picked clean of many items. Then there is the noise from the racing itself, you can clearly hear the race cars the entire weekend. The other big downside for me is that Avondale is still very agricultural in parts, meaning that the place smells like cow manure on a regular basis. I feel like I am back at my family's dairy farm when I head down to Avondale on the weekends to visit. But from what I can see those are about the worst things that I have seen in Avondale.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 AM

584 posts, read 1,342,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black MB View Post
We'd like to buy a new house, the price limit we've come up with is around 165K.

There is a new small community at Camelback and 103 Ave near the villa de paz golf course, somewhere around $155K and $150 HOA including water bills, also Lennar will build homes at the Avondale blvd/Van Buren intersection and we are hoping we could find one for around $175K there.

Which one would you guys recommend? commute will be 10 minutes less in the villa de paz area.

I would reject both of those 2 areas and go further west I10 to Goodyear if i were you.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:00 AM

Thanks Discovery1 but that would be too long of a commute for me, nice areas though but I think pricier than what I can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area