Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:20 PM

461 posts, read 1,811,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats a big fat (and deadly) Latrodectus hesperus (western black widow). Nice find!
Deadly? Really? Yikes! Is there no anti-venom for these spiders? Are all black widows deadly? How fast does one die after being bitten?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,457,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
Deadly? Really? Yikes! Is there no anti-venom for these spiders? Are all black widows deadly? How fast does one die after being bitten?
Yes there is anti-venin available for black widow envenomation, but its highly unlikely youll die. It should be said that black widows probably have the most potent venom of any critter in the United States and they should be treated with caution at all times. And yes, all black widows are extremely potent. Their venom is 15 times more powerful than a rattlesnakes, but like I said, when treated right away its nothing to worry about. I had a friend get bit in Arkansas and he said his symptoms were 5 times worse than any flu he ever had. He even said the hairs on his head hurt. lol In other words, try not to get bit.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:30 AM

68 posts, read 224,713 times
I had one in my house about a month or so ago. It was nesting under my black leather chair, that was close to the front door. It has obviously been there for a few days, because the remainders of it's food was under the chair. The only way I found it (because they are nocturnal) is when I came home late at night, and spotted it hanging upside down in it's web. Scared the crap out of me.! But yes, I did kill it. I would be more concerned if it was more in the interior of my house, but it was right by the front door. Spraying has helped a ton. (And finding a GOOD exterminator)

Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 PM

611 posts, read 2,310,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Oh come on! I can find a black widow in my garage, or in a crevice of my block wall or behind a patio chair that hasn't moved, or around the pool pump etc, etc, in about 5 minutes of looking. They are everywhere outside but extremely rare inside the house. I think that while they pose some potential threat to people, practically speaking BW bites are rare and BWs are easy to avoid. It is very easy to predict where they will be found and take appropriate caution. I put them down there with rattlesnakes on the threat list; you gotta be drunk or stupid to get bit by one. It's the scorpions that get you without warning.
Like others have said here too about how exterminators can make the difference, that's probably when we haven't seen them either.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,748 times
Default what spider is this?

I found this spider or spider looking thing on my curtain the other day. Can anyone identify it?
Attached Thumbnails
Phoenix Spiders?-photo0241.jpg   Phoenix Spiders?-spiderphoto0241.jpg  

Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 PM

86 posts, read 259,740 times
I have found the occasional BW near the front door or backyard, but never in the house (thank goodness!)

HOWEVER, I wish I could say the same about scorpions. EEK! We have pro pest control...no crickets...just scorpions.

I've lived here all my life and have never seen an actual scorpion until last summer in my house! So far, we've had 12 in the house this past summer....they curl up and look dead & dehydrated...then when you spray them, they start flicking that tail. I always call (aka SCREAM) and my hubby comes running with a shoe.

I was stung by one last summer when I was sleeping. It nailed me on the shoulder, which hurt like heck all day. Now, I just watch where I walk or step in my house....

Old 10-06-2009, 11:14 PM

294 posts, read 990,981 times
we just moved into a brand new house in the south mountain area and it seems pretty airtight, but we noticed 4 or 5 black widows in the garage. is this a sign of a bigger potential problem? or do you think they are making their way inside because of construction around the neighborhood? what can we do to get rid of them ourselves without incurring the expense of am exterminator? thanks.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:41 AM

162 posts, read 384,439 times
Wolf Spiders jump straight up in the air, it's hilarious to see, but it will spook you if you don't realize that they can jump. Wolf spiders are nothing to be affraid of, they keep other bugs out.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,000 times
I lived in Chandler Arizona a few years ago and was introduced to the Hobo Spider when it landed on my patio door. It was the size of the palm of my hand. They are very aggressive and was really hard to kill. I have lived in Arizona since 1978 and had never seen a spider like that before. My daughter now lives in the town of Maricopa and the community she now lives has all new beautiful homes. Since she moved in a month ago, she had seen both in her house and outside approximately 15-20 hobo spiders. One "chased" her 11 year old son while he was cutting the grass. If bitten the reaction is very close to those of a recluse. They are seen mostly between the months of July through September which is mating season. They are known to dig holes and live (I guess) like ants. If you do see them, get rid of them. These are very dangerous if bitten. I am allergic to insect bites so where some might have a reaction that is considered mild, it can kill me. Google these spiders and what damage you might have from being bitten and then decide what to do.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:29 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,980,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswrightwriter56 View Post
I lived in Chandler Arizona a few years ago and was introduced to the Hobo Spider when it landed on my patio door. It was the size of the palm of my hand. They are very aggressive and was really hard to kill. I have lived in Arizona since 1978 and had never seen a spider like that before. My daughter now lives in the town of Maricopa and the community she now lives has all new beautiful homes. Since she moved in a month ago, she had seen both in her house and outside approximately 15-20 hobo spiders. One "chased" her 11 year old son while he was cutting the grass. If bitten the reaction is very close to those of a recluse. They are seen mostly between the months of July through September which is mating season. They are known to dig holes and live (I guess) like ants. If you do see them, get rid of them. These are very dangerous if bitten. I am allergic to insect bites so where some might have a reaction that is considered mild, it can kill me. Google these spiders and what damage you might have from being bitten and then decide what to do.
1) Spiders dont chase anybody. Just because theyre fleeing in the same direction as you doesnt mean theyre chasing you.

2) Hobo spider vary greatly in appearance. How did you properly ID it?

3) Hobo spiders dont live in AZ.

4) Hobo spider venom isnt nearly as bad as people say it is. Not even close.

5) The ONLY spiders that can POTENTIALLY be harmful to only, like, 2% of bite victims are the brown recluse and the black widow. Or, if you live in Brazil, the wandering spider, and in Australia the Sydney funnel web spider.

People, get over your fears of spiders. All you believe are wives tales which are... wives tales. Being a studying entomologist (hobby), I can assure you there is nothing to fear. In fact, spiders are one of mankinds best allies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area