Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 AM

77 posts, read 297,324 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your input. If the commute is the about the same give or take a few minutes that isn't too bad. I do like what Casa Grande has to offer as far as shopping and housing. Maricopa just seemed to be a little closer is why it was considered. I know they are not as developed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 02:08 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,363,703 times
You are not going to escape gang activity in any Casa Grande School.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:18 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,349,984 times
And you know this how Steve? There is actually comparatively little gang activity in CG compared to areas of Phoenix, Mesa, and even Chandler....

Much of the "crime rap" that comes about CG is related to the drug and human smuggling - but all of that occurs OUTSIDE of the city limits of Casa Grande (by a considerable amount actually) but since CG is the closest city to that activity that is what is used.

Are there pockets of "sort of gangs"? Of course, like everywhere. But it is not as bad as many people seem to think here - and believe me - without going into detail I come from a position of real knowledge on this topic.

The PD is VERY proactive here and has task forces set up with the US Marshals and DPS....there is a slightly higher level of PROPERTY crime in CG than there should be, but most of that occurs in the areas I described above within the lower income neighborhoods.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:20 PM

My son went to Casa Grande High School. I still own Property in Casa Grande and Maricopa. I visit often. My Kids and Grandkids live there. My Daughter went to the Jr. High in Casa Grande. My Son-in-law's family is 5th generation Florence, Coolidge, and Casa Grande. I was in law enforcement/corrections in Pinal County. Any more questions?

Poor choice saying it is better than the metro. Of course it is. It is bad and for an out-of-towner just moving there it will be unexpected. Don't pull a real-estate agent on us and try to diminish its severity. Casa Grande also has a major drug problem.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:47 PM

Wasnt trying to upset you - but you just put a blanket statement like that out there - it really should be backed up with some information on your experiences etc., which you now have done.

That said, we ll have to agree to disagree Steve. My experience (and again it is beyond just living here with Law Enforcement experience also) is that except for the core areas of town - the average person will not experience any gang activity. You dont see them at the mall or walking around the shopping center or hanging on the corners etc. Most of that type of activity occurs in the apartment complexes etc., again in the center part of the older part of the city.

Now, as you probably are aware - back in 2006-2008 things were much worse when there was a significant Blood and Crip influence - but there is just nowhere near that level of activity now - they came in and cracked down pretty heavilly. Shootings are rare, and there are not even many fights on or near campus and there are two School Resource Officers working the schools.

Again, Im not trying to say there is NO activity of any type - but its really the "wannabe" stuff these days.

As for the drug problem - yeah, its there - but much of it (in my experience) is again is within the Indian community. There is bleedover from both the TO and GRIC reservations that shows up in town.

But again - if someone lives in the areas I described above - shops at the newer shopping centers - or really even in the commercial district of Old Town - or at the mall - or goes to the dog park, Dave White Park or Golf Course etc. just will not be involved in this type of activity.

As for the kids - parents need to watch their kids everywhere these days - I went to high school in a very well off beach city in Southern California and there were the wannabe gangs there.

But thank you for at least posting that your thoughts were based upon your experiences. So many post just blanket statements without any backup.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:57 PM

The Indian community has a lot of alcohol issues, but the drugs are mostly Angelo. Even the Hispanics shun them to a degree. Most of the drug activity I am aware of (and I am aware of it) is in the middle class and upper class Angelo populations, excluding retired seniors. I don’t have an issue naming names if you want to go that far.

I didn’t take offense. I was only correcting what sounds like a real-estate agent’s point of reference. It was not factual.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:12 PM

Steve - Im not real estate - and Im very much a realist - with over 20 years in municipal Law Enforcement experience - and Im just saying that in my years here - as well as my family, freinds and neighbors (all with kids and most in public safety/education), we just dont see it here anymore on any kind of scale, and in the end that is what matters.

It is absolutely possible that we have had different experiences - and in the end all I can share is mine. But I dont sugar coat things uneccessarilly (I have no motive to do so), but neither do I push the panic button based on antectodal activity (not saying that is what you are doing at all). I just relay what I ve experienced.

I ve said what I know....and I consider the topic dropped. Again, very possible you had different experiences than Ive had - and thats what makes C-D so great.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:15 PM

I may have walked on the raw side a little more often. I was also married to an addict and an alcoholic (two different woman) while living in Casa Grande and Maricopa. I forgot to mention my first wife is back there now in Eloy. (Different woman). Everything is relative and for newcomers some of it would seem extreme, although for the area, it is better than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area