Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:24 PM

205 posts, read 296,955 times

Advertisements

The light rail isn't bad in Phoenix but it has a limited area which it services. It doesn't go very far to the west but has a not bad range to the East. Basically you would want to see if there are things you would like to see going to the west valley. If the answer is yes, then you will probably need a car. If you plan on staying downtown and extend to places in the East like Tempe then maybe it is doable. I never took the bus system, just the light rail so I can't comment about bussing to places like Scottsdale but I image you would want to go there too. As mentioned before, waiting for the bus in the scorching heat isn't super fun. At least with the light rail it comes pretty frequently.

One option is make sure you get a hotel near the light rail and take the shuttle from the airport. After the first few days if you still find it inconvenient then get a rental. Light rail to the airport is fine but then you have to shuttle from there to another terminal for sure. This isn't a big issue if you don't have a very early flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM

39,108 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
Phoenix is a great place to visit for much of the year, but imo (having lived here 10+ years) Labor Day is just about the most miserable time climate-wise that you could choose to visit. There's no way I would do that to my wife! lol
If you are seeing cheap hotel and resort rates for that time of year, there's a reason for that. I once visited Egypt during late August to save money when I was a budget-conscious college kid, but while it was fantastic overall, the heat was brutal and I would never recommend anyone else doing it that way.

If you don't mind spending more money, then I'd head for San Fran or Seattle to get the best of the weather and the light-rail options. Of course, for Labor Day it will probably be expensive and crowded. But so will anywhere that has decent climate.

Here in Phoenix light-rail is fine during the non-infernal months, but I don't think you'd enjoy waiting outside for trains in 110F+. I'd try to come back here during Nov-April...that's when the climate and beauty conspire to make Phoenix worthwhile.
Wow. I disagree about the resort scene in summer. For years we have gone to an area resort that is loaded with water features. Between the pools with swim up bars, big umbrellas and misters on the deck and walks, the air conditioned rooms, and the ice cold restaurants you never even notice it is hot out there. A weekend in one of the top resorts is delightful in summer. As far as I am concerned it is just too cold for that kind of stuff in the winter, but for the tourists I guess it seems relatively warm.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM

800 posts, read 1,913,507 times
I'll agree with the crowd - don't rely on public transit to get you around to attractions in Phoenix. I've lived in Phoenix since 1996 and haven't stepped on a bus/rail car once.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:12 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,613,701 times
you need a car.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:12 PM

65 posts, read 159,872 times
Please do rent a car. Our Sports Authority needs the money.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:49 PM

568 posts, read 1,207,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Wow. I disagree about the resort scene in summer. For years we have gone to an area resort that is loaded with water features. Between the pools with swim up bars, big umbrellas and misters on the deck and walks, the air conditioned rooms, and the ice cold restaurants you never even notice it is hot out there. A weekend in one of the top resorts is delightful in summer. As far as I am concerned it is just too cold for that kind of stuff in the winter, but for the tourists I guess it seems relatively warm.
I'm not knocking the resort scene per se as you describe it above (seems relaxing), but it seems like the poster is wanting to go out and about exploring. He said he didn't know much about Phoenix so I didn't want him to see a lot of cheap prices for flights/hotels/etc. in general and get too excited. As a tourist destination, Labor Day seems low season for us (unless for some special events, perhaps).

As much as I think tourism is great, and Phoenix has a lot to offer, I think it's better to encourage tourists to come when it's lovely so they'll want to return, or even tell their friends what a wonderful time they had. My brother and sister-in-law insisted on coming in August several years ago and since then...well, let's just say it's been me visiting them in Florida for the past 3 years!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 PM

344 posts, read 813,871 times
Is it warm in Phoenix? A car is essential, unless one has an embarassing amount of time on one's hands. Those who take the bus generally don't have a choice and don't have the wherewithall to drive.

I've done buses here...it immediately generates huge incentive to get a vehicle, no matter what. Between the vast distances, leisurely and relaxed/slowish pace of bus driving, large gaps between one bus arrival and the next as well as the linear grid system, it's PONDEROUS going any distance whatsoever. There's usually a nice long wait between bus connections on that grid, in addition to the mind numbing time on bus.

What can be driven in 20 minutes can take 1.5-2 hours by bus. Or more.

Last edited by sunluv; 05-03-2012 at 09:35 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
rental cars are a rip-off. You could have a nice trip on the Light Rail.
Trip to where? They're spending Labor Day weekend. Think again. Cars should be relatively inexpensive that time of year. That's what Priceline and Hotwire, etc. are for.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 AM

278 posts, read 547,248 times
Go on expedia like i always do plus you can get a nice upgrade to a convertible or something, wich sometimes is useless because of the heat.
Get a car, go to the grand canyon. I can sit there and stare at it for days.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodiman View Post
The light rail isn't bad in Phoenix but it has a limited area which it services. It doesn't go very far to the west but has a not bad range to the East. Basically you would want to see if there are things you would like to see going to the west valley. If the answer is yes, then you will probably need a car. If you plan on staying downtown and extend to places in the East like Tempe then maybe it is doable. I never took the bus system, just the light rail so I can't comment about bussing to places like Scottsdale but I image you would want to go there too. As mentioned before, waiting for the bus in the scorching heat isn't super fun. At least with the light rail it comes pretty frequently.

One option is make sure you get a hotel near the light rail and take the shuttle from the airport. After the first few days if you still find it inconvenient then get a rental. Light rail to the airport is fine but then you have to shuttle from there to another terminal for sure. This isn't a big issue if you don't have a very early flight.
Visiting Scottsdale without a car on a weekend (when the limited bus service is even more limited) would be very unpleasant. A good deal can be had on a rental car, and it will be worth it.

I use the transit system at times, mixed it with using a car, and I support their efforts, but the limitations of it for tourists wanting to see more of the Valley than what they can reach via light rail alone are impossible to ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area