Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 02:18 PM

149 posts, read 153,277 times

Advertisements

Just a general question from a Nyer who, God willing, will be relocating in the next couple of years...
We have been to the Phoenix area a few times over the past couple of year and would like to relocate there once i retire.
We wil be young retirees...55..with 2 kids who will be 18 and 22 at that time.
What areas could you recommend for a rural life style but that is near to all but with a nice quality of life?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 09:04 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,179,068 times
Well, neither are rural, but suburban - part of the Phoenix metro area. Maybe you meant suburban? They're both very nice cities with low crime rates and excellent amenities. You'll find fans of both communities in this forum - a bit of east/west rivalry!

Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 AM

9,854 posts, read 11,248,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbound621 View Post
Just a general question from a Nyer who, God willing, will be relocating in the next couple of years...
We have been to the Phoenix area a few times over the past couple of year and would like to relocate there once i retire.
We wil be young retirees...55..with 2 kids who will be 18 and 22 at that time.
What areas could you recommend for a rural life style but that is near to all but with a nice quality of life?
Thanks
I liked them both but I picked Surprise (I'm 47, two kids 21 and 18). I strongly considered Gilbert. I'm agnostic and I wasn't a fan of a big Morman church as THE focal point of the nicer neighborhoods. Don't get me wrong, they are good folks with strong family values. I'd much rather live in a Morman neighborhood than a hippie vibe, but if religion is the neighborhoods main focus, that's not my cup of tea.

Don't forget about looking at Anthem and especially Goodyear. If Palm Valley (Goodyear) re-seeded annually I would have lived in that area. Do realize that grass goes dormant in AZ from November to May. My wife didn't want to look at dormant brown grass. Our neighborhood (Marley Park) re-seeds the 16 parks and trails with rye grass annually. That was the clincher for us.
Good luck!

Old 05-06-2012, 08:59 AM

701 posts, read 1,432,537 times
You may want to check out Carefree. It's an idyllic location on the very edge of the valley, somewhat rural, and yet urbane at the same time.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 AM

675 posts, read 1,419,452 times
Gilbert's a nice city, but is surrounded by other cities. We preferred a suburb on the 'edge', with more nature in our face.

Another good option for you may be Fountain Hills. It's between Scottsdale and the Ft McDowell res. The Beeline gives pretty fast access to the metro area. I commute from here to Gilbert every day in 30 minutes. And I can get to Sky Harbor in about 35 most times of day.

If you've got another few years to decide, I would take another visit and look at some of the outlying areas more closely. Only you will know what feels best for your lifestyle.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:21 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,247,835 times
Part of Queen Creek is a bit rural. The rest of it is suburban.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 AM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
The last of "rural" in Gilbert is about to disappear. What a shame.

Gilbert to bid farewell to last big piece of farmland

Old 05-06-2012, 10:43 AM

784 posts, read 926,391 times
MN-Born....didn't realize we had so much in common...lol...not only do we both prefer Surprise(Marley Park.....I to am 47 with two kids 22 and 21.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:53 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,495,734 times
One area that you might want to consider is Estrella Mountain Ranch in Goodyear. Beautiful master planned community, surrounded by the Estrella mountains and lakes, but still around 10 miles from I-10.

http://www.estrella.com/life-in-estr...festyle/lakes/

We've lived in Surprise for several years now which we think is a nice community but recently bought a home up in Estrella and look forward to moving there full time in the not so distant future.

Good luck on your search....lots of nice areas to live around the Phoenix valley.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:09 PM

800 posts, read 1,916,588 times
Since Estrella Mountain Ranch was mentioned, might want to throw Vistancia, another master-planned community into the hat. In North Peoria, Vistancia does have a rural feel and is surrounded by beauty, but is close enough to major amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area