Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:38 PM

391 posts, read 789,366 times

Advertisements

My kids played coed and non-coed soccer, baseball and hockey and even wrestling (that wasn't right in my mind cause the boys could not win)

Even at the most competitive levels the girls tried out and very often made the team. It really was not an issue and we're talking whacko hockey parents that didn't care.

It was very rare for females to make a competitive team after about age 13. They just could not compete with the boys. But there was nothing stopping them from trying out

I remember a boy trying out for a girls competitive hockey team and it was an uproar! I thought it was stupid because he could have played on a boys team.

Girls playing with boys was just not an issue. I wouldn't be a candidate for that religion as that doesn't jive with my values
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 06:47 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,797,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
It's also important to note that the reason the girls is on the team is that her school does not have a girl's softball team. So this was her only opportunity to play softball/baseball in high school. And when these two teams played twice during the regular season, the Mesa team agreed to not have the girl play. Which I think is BS. It was the other school that had the problem. I would have NEVER adhered to their archaic, stupid belief.
I just heard part of the segment on tv yesterday. Didn't the girl say that she volunteered to not play during those 2 games? I thought I heard that the team was supporting her and would not remove her from those games, but she volunteered to not play so the games could proceed.

Because there was no girls team, this was her only opportunity to participate in a sport where she has skills. Apparently she earned the spot on the team by her abilities, and I applaud the team for supporting her.

If the other team refuses to play, that's their problem, and they are getting some bad press because of their decision.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:54 AM

603 posts, read 947,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I just heard part of the segment on tv yesterday. Didn't the girl say that she volunteered to not play during those 2 games?
She volunteered to sit the 2nd game. It's not entirely clear what happened in the 1st game.

Quote:
Sultzbach was added to the Mesa Prep roster later, and Violette did not know about the change until the two teams met on March 22. Our Lady of Sorrows, Baum says, was prepared to forfeit the game but saw that Mesa Prep had just nine players. When told another player was on the way, Violette offered to play the game if Sultzbach was on the bench.

Rules stipulate a game must begin with nine players on each side, so Sultzbach started in the game. It's unclear if she left the game before the first official pitch, or if she played an inning before taking to the bench. (Violette did not respond to requests for comment.)

The teams met again in late April, but this time Sultzbach agreed to sit out before the game began. Mesa Prep won both games. When it came to the championship, however, Mesa Prep was unwilling to let Sultzbach sit.
http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/05/1...30&feedID=3702

Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 AM

784 posts, read 925,033 times
My sons were in the Illinois high school state football championship game and the team they were playing had a girl on the team. We didn't even know it until she came out to kick the extra point and her pony tail was hanging out the back of her helmut......she kicked as good as any other player.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:54 PM

446 posts, read 710,991 times
I read about this the other day. I don't know that it's a religious issue as much as a cultural one. They apparently believe that having girls and boys compete directly in sports does not teach boys how to behave around girls/women.

I don't have an opinion on raising children (never having had them). But if this is what they think, I suppose they are entitled to their opinions.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:00 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,249,956 times
It's a cultural opinion that is directly derived by their religious beliefs and as shown in their statements/doctrine they have very clear thoughts on the roles of men/women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area