Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,920 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are relocating from the Raleigh, NC to Phoenix, AZ area in the next month. We have only been to Phoenix one time and it was only for a couple of days.

We are considering buying a home in the Phoenix metro area, or potentially renting for a few months to get to know the area better first.

Where are the best cities (low crime, good value, close to restaurants and other entertainment) to look for a house or townhouse in the Phoenix metro area? Our budget would be roughly $300-400K.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 08:20 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Renting first is a VERY good idea.

As far as buying, first, where will you be working? Commutes can be long, (this is a VERY spread out place) and it's good to avoid that, for any number of reasons. With that budget, you will have lots of choices. What other amenities/activities would you like to be close to?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:25 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,951,740 times
I recommend the East Valley, Chandler,Ahwatukee,Tempe or Gilbert. Low crime,lots to do and good highway access

Old 05-11-2012, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 4,920 times
My office is based in N. Phoenix, but since I will be working as an account manager I will be at customer sites and working from home most of the time. My wife is still looking for a new job and we are unsure where she will land.

As far as other activities, we like to golf, go to sporting events, and live near an area with a decent entertainment scene with restaurants, bars, etc..

Thank you!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,614,622 times
you should look in the Desert Ridge area. Nice area, more centrally located, near golf but far from sporting events. you got to give somewhere because the major sports are downtown or in Glendale.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:45 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,621,300 times
With the real estate market right now I always tell people to look into new construction. Good deals and little to no hassle. The market is a bit of a pain right now, limited inventory and a lot of cash buyers from Canada.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
With the real estate market right now I always tell people to look into new construction. Good deals and little to no hassle. The market is a bit of a pain right now, limited inventory and a lot of cash buyers from Canada.
This can be problematic, too. New builds are six to nine months out now and almost all of them are going to be on the fringes of the metro area. So you rent for 50% higher than purchase costs and blow your down payment/discretionary money. You have to move twice. Then you have landscaping and decorating costs the day you move in and you probably don't get a pool either. There are a lot of reasons to want a move in ready home.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:57 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,320,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfan123 View Post
Hi,

My wife and I are relocating from the Raleigh, NC to Phoenix, AZ area in the next month. We have only been to Phoenix one time and it was only for a couple of days.

We are considering buying a home in the Phoenix metro area, or potentially renting for a few months to get to know the area better first.

Where are the best cities (low crime, good value, close to restaurants and other entertainment) to look for a house or townhouse in the Phoenix metro area? Our budget would be roughly $300-400K.

Thank you!
You definitely need to rent for at least 6 months before you can really appreciate and determine where you want to live. Phoenix is unlike most cities in that there are several nice areas to live. There is no distinct "bad and good part of town" It's very spread out like Los Angeles and you have to see where your friends live, schools, proximity to work, style of homes, landscape (desert, trees/grass, water), what you enjoy doing for entertainment (hiking, professional sports, dining). All of those factors will determine where you want to live but I would say 80% of the Valley is really nice so there are many options.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:02 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,320,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So you rent for 50% higher than purchase costs and blow your down payment/discretionary money. You have to move twice. Then you have landscaping and decorating costs the day you move in and you probably don't get a pool either. There are a lot of reasons to want a move in ready home.
For someone who is going to purchase a 300-400K home, renting an apartment including a nice one will not be 50% higher than purchase costs. I would never advocate buying without renting here first. There are so many variables to consider that you can't attain until you move here. Furthermore, everything looks nice on the internet and you truly can't appreciate an area until you see it in person AND spend some time living there. During the day, everything looks great with the bright sunshine and the stucoo homes with red tiled roof. At night and on weekends, it's a different story. Plus when you make friends and meet people in the area, they can share information and insight that you won't get from people posting opinions on this forum.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:20 PM

46 posts, read 65,471 times
Unless you get really lucky, you should rent for a year first. You will be disappointed if you buy a place in the wrong area and have to get up and move/sell again. Rent first, and figure it out -- each pocket of the valley feels different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area