Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:56 PM

370 posts, read 1,566,374 times

Advertisements

Reminds me of a (not so) funny story. My husband was driving down a side street and suddenly a big dog shot past the corner fence and ran into the side of the chevy cavalier my husband was driving (the dog was looking back to see if anyone was following him and not where he was going). He hit the car door hard enough to cause a good sized dent and knock the dog unconscious for a second or two before the dog got up and ran away. The two people chasing the dog stopped and returned to their house. Well my husband called Phoenix PD who said they would have MAC come out and check the welfare of the dog. Later they told me the people denied having a dog (although you could hear a dog in their back yard). End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 10:35 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,242,549 times
Well, so much for getting information from animal control. Called this morning and was told I need to send in a written request with a "specific question" and they will respond in 7-10 days if the information is allowed to be released.

Maybe I need those foreign language classes after all.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,055,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Well, so much for getting information from animal control. Called this morning and was told I need to send in a written request with a "specific question" and they will respond in 7-10 days if the information is allowed to be released.

Here's what I'd do, I'd catch the patrol officer for your area, either Sheriff or City like when you see one driving around. I'd strike up a conversation and just plain ask and explain why you're concerned. I've never had a cop not tell me what I wanted to know, they're homeowners too and usually understand.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 PM

168 posts, read 457,280 times
Quote:

Wow. That's just unacceptable, IMO. Is the blood trail still there? If so, and if you haven't already, I'd take pix of it, or of any blood that's remaining.

As well, I'd go to the house where the trail starts and also the house where it ends and I'd ask questions. Obviously, you'd be polite and approach it from a place of concern, not accusations. But there's no way I'd let this go without asking about it, considering your kids play outside and you know for sure that they have aggressive pit bulls in their home. IMO, you have to be proactive and aggressive (but not in a pit bull way ) when it comes to ensuring the personal safety of your family.

If all else fails, I'd call whichever TV station does those local investigations and I'd ask them to look into it. Pit bull and other "aggressive dog" attacks are pretty common, seemingly more so then then usual, but that might just be press attention. I know Freakonomics did a story on it, and pit bulls supposedly don't attack more often then other dogs. But it's still a scary and all too common occurrence. I'd think this would be something the news would be interested in, especially considering you're getting the run-around from the police AND animal control.

All the while, I'd continue hounding the PD, b/c that's how I roll and I don't like getting the runaround

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:05 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,242,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinsFan1 View Post
Wow. That's just unacceptable, IMO. Is the blood trail still there? If so, and if you haven't already, I'd take pix of it, or of any blood that's remaining.

As well, I'd go to the house where the trail starts and also the house where it ends and I'd ask questions. Obviously, you'd be polite and approach it from a place of concern, not accusations. But there's no way I'd let this go without asking about it, considering your kids play outside and you know for sure that they have aggressive pit bulls in their home. IMO, you have to be proactive and aggressive (but not in a pit bull way ) when it comes to ensuring the personal safety of your family.

If all else fails, I'd call whichever TV station does those local investigations and I'd ask them to look into it. Pit bull and other "aggressive dog" attacks are pretty common, seemingly more so then then usual, but that might just be press attention. I know Freakonomics did a story on it, and pit bulls supposedly don't attack more often then other dogs. But it's still a scary and all too common occurrence. I'd think this would be something the news would be interested in, especially considering you're getting the run-around from the police AND animal control.

All the while, I'd continue hounding the PD, b/c that's how I roll and I don't like getting the runaround

Good luck! Let us know what happens.
Thanks for the advice. I'm compiling my written request and going to send it off tomorrow.

As I said earlier, the house where it ends (or maybe starts) is a neighbor that is a couple houses down from mine and they do not speak english so it makes it hard to inquire there. The other end of the trail just ends in front of a neighborhood common area a block away.

I washed the blood off the sidewalk in front of my home and my neighbors on both sides of me so we didn't have to look at it. I have not walked down the block to see if it is still there but now that you say it I wish I had taken pictures.

Today I was walking back from the mail box and a kid on a bike came down the driveway of the neighbor house that has the pit bulls and where the blood ended. He was riding his bike quickly down the street and had one of the pit bulls on a leash running alongside the bike. When they passed me the dog started pulling on the leash like it wanted to come to me (was not acting aggressive, just pulling on the leash trying to come my way). When he got passed me about 100 ft I heard yelling behind me and turned around to see the dog had pulled away from him and he was running after the dog chasing it trying to grab the leash. Again, the dog wasn't acting aggressive but it was coming right at me. He caught up to the dog about 25 feet away and started hitting it for not listening and pulled it back to where he had dropped his bike.

I don't know how to read those dogs as I had no idea if it just wanted to be petted or if it was coming looking to tear my leg off.

Also, have a Rottweiler that lives directly across the street from us that has actually ran across the street to our house and tried to eat our little dog and knocked my wife over trying to get to our dog. This dog left no question that it was out for blood as it was growling like it wanted to kill our dog and my wife holding her. Are aggressive dogs this prevalent everywhere or did I just get lucky?

Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
No, they are not that prevalent everywhere. What you have in your neighborhood is a lot of bad dog OWNERS, not bad dogs.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,055,801 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm compiling my written request and going to send it off tomorrow.

As I said earlier, the house where it ends (or maybe starts) is a neighbor that is a couple houses down from mine and they do not speak english so it makes it hard to inquire there. The other end of the trail just ends in front of a neighborhood common area a block away.

I washed the blood off the sidewalk in front of my home and my neighbors on both sides of me so we didn't have to look at it. I have not walked down the block to see if it is still there but now that you say it I wish I had taken pictures.

Today I was walking back from the mail box and a kid on a bike came down the driveway of the neighbor house that has the pit bulls and where the blood ended. He was riding his bike quickly down the street and had one of the pit bulls on a leash running alongside the bike. When they passed me the dog started pulling on the leash like it wanted to come to me (was not acting aggressive, just pulling on the leash trying to come my way). When he got passed me about 100 ft I heard yelling behind me and turned around to see the dog had pulled away from him and he was running after the dog chasing it trying to grab the leash. Again, the dog wasn't acting aggressive but it was coming right at me. He caught up to the dog about 25 feet away and started hitting it for not listening and pulled it back to where he had dropped his bike.

I don't know how to read those dogs as I had no idea if it just wanted to be petted or if it was coming looking to tear my leg off.

Also, have a Rottweiler that lives directly across the street from us that has actually ran across the street to our house and tried to eat our little dog and knocked my wife over trying to get to our dog. This dog left no question that it was out for blood as it was growling like it wanted to kill our dog and my wife holding her. Are aggressive dogs this prevalent everywhere or did I just get lucky?
I feel for you, unfortunately it seems bad owners are the norm (at least around us) and again unfortunately it's the dogs that end up paying the price. I'm usually not afraid of dogs since I know in the end I can defend myself from an aggressive one. That being said we had a neighbor that had a Rott who was very nice until one day out of the blue when he wasn't. He bit me while I was in my front yard talking to his owner. Needless to say I NEVER trusted that dog again and went "on guard" every time he was outside.
I hate having to be "on guard" on my own property but sadly if I was in your position it'd be bear spray and pistol close by when outside.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,137,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
No, they are not that prevalent everywhere. What you have in your neighborhood is a lot of bad dog OWNERS, not bad dogs.
I agree. But don't assume every Rott and Pit is out for blood, either. But them being off leash, even for a minute, is illegal. But all you can do is report them to animal control when they're loose and hope A.C. can catch the dog. They will cite the owner.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:24 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I agree. But don't assume every Rott and Pit is out for blood, either. But them being off leash, even for a minute, is illegal. But all you can do is report them to animal control when they're loose and hope A.C. can catch the dog. They will cite the owner.
There must be a typo in your post. I DON'T assume every Rott and Pit is out for blood. That was my point. No one should. I've got a Pit/Boxer mix at my feet right now, and I owned Rotties for years and will again.

Now, let's get back to the topic.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,137,134 times
I didn't mean you, I mean the OP and other readers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area