Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,036 times

Advertisements

I am considering running for Glendale City Council when my current council woman's seat is up in 2014. I worked as a government auditor for four years, have over ten years business experience, and am currently a business analyst for a large corporation.

My question is - does anyone have any advice for me (pros or cons)? I've just started doing some research on the process, but I know I'm a ways off from being literate on most campaign issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 07:51 PM

675 posts, read 1,420,065 times
A friend and coworker of mine back in Ohio just made a similar move from her systems analyst role into county government as a commissioner. Well actually she just won the primary but that was the real battle- she defeated the incumbent in March and does not expect a challenger from the other party for the seat in the general in November.

The one thing I know she did was spend several hours per day for several months going door to door to all the registered voters in the major towns in her county. She introduced herself and explained how she would go help get county's budget back to some fiscal responsibility. I know she also asked people to let her put her sign in their yard.

It sounds like with your background you are well prepared for a role like this. If you have the passion and are willing to put in the effort to fight, and have a message that the people like, you should have a good chance at success.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:41 AM

737 posts, read 1,152,657 times
You say your not literate on most campaign issues. Have you been attending council meetings for the last several years? If not, why?

You will need someone that understands the finances involved in a campaign.

The previous poster was correct on door to door. If you are not well known, get well known. You can have the best ideas in the world but if no one knows you, it won't matter.

If your a republican, good luck. If not, forget all the advice anyone gave you.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:46 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,491,243 times
Go to your local LD meeting. You may have to attend 2 depending on where you're at. At that meeting you can get all the names of the precinct committeemen that cover your city council district, list of registered voters, and what not. Knowing and getting the PC's on your side would be an enormous help.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:18 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,028,963 times
Glendale is a mess. The greatest con is actually being on the city council.

The pros would be having an outsider on the council and someone that could bring fresh ideas to the table and use common sense.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:01 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,327,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Glendale is a mess. The greatest con is actually being on the city council.

The pros would be having an outsider on the council and someone that could bring fresh ideas to the table and use common sense.
Fresh ideas and common sense are rarities in most government positions, even city councils. Most of the time, it's who you know on the inside, as well as how much money you can raise that will get you in office. Even the ones who run their campaigns on cutting the waste and implementing new ideas are soon swallowed up by insider politics and the "good ol' boy" network. If you don't play the game, you won't get very far.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:11 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,350,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Fresh ideas and common sense are rarities in most government positions, even city councils. Most of the time, it's who you know on the inside, as well as how much money you can raise that will get you in office. Even the ones who run their campaigns on cutting the waste and implementing new ideas are soon swallowed up by insider politics and the "good ol' boy" network. If you don't play the game, you won't get very far.
Therein lies the problem with politics. Outsiders see politics and think they can do a better job than the people in power. They think they are unique and have common sense and creativity. They then somehow win and realize it's a good ole boys club. You need to raise money to remain in office and you can't do that unless you play ball. You are controlled by special interests. The politicians then want to keep their position considering how hard they worked to get to that level. Then they become the very people that they sought to run against. The special interests control politicians and will always do so because the reality is politicians are easily replaceable; if someone doesn't play ball, they can find someone who will. I would hate to be involved with politics. You would fall under a microscope. You would have to kiss arse for a living. You would have to constantly raise money. You can't be true to yourself and vote on the issues based on your conviction because you are controlled by a third party machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area