Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 PM

13,828 posts, read 8,053,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamestheFin View Post
I think the real question in this discussion is what will happen in California? If the economy continues to go downhill and the state and cities bankrupt themselves, and Jerry Brown and Sacramento continue to blow out the budget and make things hard for everyone else, how many businesses and individuals will leave California? And where do they end up? Texas? Nevada? Arizona? Colorado? Hate to state it but what happens in California will absolutely affect the economy, demographics, housing, etc in Arizona.
I think this is the key to AZ future.

I`m from Cal. and I don`t see the necessary changes being made that will help the state become solvent again. Cal leadership keeps hoping there will be another economic boom. In the meantime taxes keep rising and companies keep leaving. Case in point is the new Intel plant in Chandler.

The Phx metro HAS to get better paying jobs and one major source will be companies leaving Cal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 05:03 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,573,562 times
Native Californian here. I hope you are right. People who are used to my posts are aware I am a classical liberal, which is by no means a fan of government "services" other than the constitutional national defense. I would like to see more big companies in high tech movie g to Phoenix. The Arizona legislature with no fanfare recently passed state income tax cuts and capital gains tax cuts by a significant 25% effective 2015. The 1% increase in sales taxes we had a few years ago will sunset and drop back to where it was. This will make Phoenix more attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I think this is the key to AZ future.

I`m from Cal. and I don`t see the necessary changes being made that will help the state become solvent again. Cal leadership keeps hoping there will be another economic boom. In the meantime taxes keep rising and companies keep leaving. Case in point is the new Intel plant in Chandler.

The Phx metro HAS to get better paying jobs and one major source will be companies leaving Cal.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:48 PM

457 posts, read 757,325 times
I would like to see that to, but unfortunately I don't see that happening. I am looking to change jobs right now and the pay they are offering in AZ (compared to CA) is absolutely horrendous (30-40% less for the same job title). Also, a 1% change in tax structure doesn't translate into booming economies. An effective tax structure has to be supported by supply of high quality talent and research institutions (e.g., Stanford, Caltech, UC Berkeley etc.), availability of a cluster and seed money (e.g., silicon valley and VC), proximity to ports (for exports to Asia), suitable weather (for living as well certain industries like wine and agriculture) and availability of urban entertainment options to attract highly paid talent (CEOs, execs, techies etc.). As much as I like to believe that CA is in decline, over the last year itself CA had huge IPOs. Just day before yesterday, CA had a $100 bn IPO and that company didn't even exist before 2004. Now it has created many millionaires which will further lead to investments in start-ups and trickle down wealth. There are some major tech companies in the IPO pipeline in CA now. Research indicates that over the next 5 years, there will $500 bn of IPO creating 80,000 new tech millionaires in CA.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:53 PM

13,828 posts, read 8,053,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
I would like to see that to, but unfortunately I don't see that happening. I am looking to change jobs right now and the pay they are offering in AZ (compared to CA) is absolutely horrendous (30-40% less for the same job title). Also, a 1% change in tax structure doesn't translate into booming economies. An effective tax structure has to be supported by supply of high quality talent and research institutions (e.g., Stanford, Caltech, UC Berkeley etc.), availability of a cluster and seed money (e.g., silicon valley and VC), proximity to ports (for exports to Asia), suitable weather (for living as well certain industries like wine and agriculture) and availability of urban entertainment options to attract highly paid talent (CEOs, execs, techies etc.). As much as I like to believe that CA is in decline, over the last year itself CA had huge IPOs. Just day before yesterday, CA had a $100 bn IPO and that company didn't even exist before 2004. Now it has created many millionaires which will further lead to investments in start-ups and trickle down wealth. There are some major tech companies in the IPO pipeline in CA now. Research indicates that over the next 5 years, there will $500 bn of IPO creating 80,000 new tech millionaires in CA.
I’m not suggesting AZ will ever come close in terms of high paying jobs. However, the budget problems in Cal. aren’t going away anytime soon and the business climate is one of the worst in the country. This means companies will continue to leave and if the Phx metro can snatch some of them so much the better.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:56 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,346,199 times
Dmode - you also have to remember that the cost of living here is sooo much less than CA (I am one of the many many transplants). I work from home, so my standard of living improved considerably with the move here since I was fortunate enough to keep basically the same money.... so that difference in pay is somewhat mitigated.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:25 PM

213 posts, read 377,198 times
Seriously? My son, his girlfriend and I moved here in December without jobs. All three of us are now gainfully employed. It was no big deal. We made a full-time job out of looking for a job. There are jobs out there for those who are educated and motivated.

We've also purchased a beautiful condo. Again, no problem We have great credit. Work hard, do the right thing and live below your means and everything falls into place.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:43 PM

457 posts, read 757,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykatlady View Post
Seriously? My son, his girlfriend and I moved here in December without jobs. All three of us are now gainfully employed. It was no big deal. We made a full-time job out of looking for a job. There are jobs out there for those who are educated and motivated.

We've also purchased a beautiful condo. Again, no problem We have great credit. Work hard, do the right thing and live below your means and everything falls into place.
That is true, but I was talking about high paying corporate jobs >200K in salary (e.g., Director, VP, Corporate strategy etc.). These jobs are usually located in company headquarters. Phoenix only has 7 or so Fortune 500 companies and the average salaries are at least 30-40% lower than comparable jobs in the Bay Area. The advantage is that cost of living here is low, so quality of life will probably remain unchanged even with the pay cut. But I am worried about long term implications in taking a pay cut.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,617,082 times
As the baby boomers retire, this will be a great place to work for anyone in the medical field. That's a plus. I think we should stick to what we do best out here, free people from painful joints and grace them with food and golf.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:56 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,893,324 times
Default Buying in Arizona

What a silly idea! No way, taxes, services from real state pro's all lack. If anything I will purchase a new home in Florida.(Addition to) My experiace here has been less than pleasing and there is just a poor a out look in Reality Pros selling the ideal of Arizona and the values of what Arizona can offer. I have looked on and off for a Rental (with a pool) in Chandler,gilbert and Alatokee and the professional managemnt companies have been horrible follow up and has failed to come up with choices.
I have called and follow up with most of the high profile management companies here and they are way too worry about making a quick sale. even we are well Q we still want to rent a home. But its seems most these folks get insulted becuase you do not want to buy. Just as well.
The time was when I first got here.4-5 yrs ago. Yes I am glad I did not buy. I would be stuck here in AZ for at least 10 looooooooong years.

I got a good 25 years left in this work force and the question is do I justy being here (just holding a job) or do Live,laugh and be with friends and Fam in Florida. Bugs,humidity and lush greenery & every where all its my paridise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area