Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:42 PM

196 posts, read 262,832 times

Advertisements

i just feel like i am wasting time here in KY where there are no job opportunities. might as well move to my dream location, AZ and make a life for myself. I'm so miserable here in KY. Made up my mind 5 yrs ago to move to az but did not have the funds. now i have funds so I'm ready to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 11:53 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,722 times
The fact you are single and without baggage, the only one who suffers if things don't work out is you. Life is too short to be stagnant and unhappy. I grew up near NYC and spent many years in god awful Buffalo NY. Different stage of life but same issues. Was very unhappy there and finally got a transfer out here after years of paying dues back east and coming out here for occasional "corporate trainings."

The time for you to take a chance is now since you do not have baggage to hold you back. Trust your skills and do what you need to do. I literally wasted close to half my life in an environment that made me unhappy. Life is too short. I've been actively traveling everywhere and anywhere out here to make up for the years of boredom and misery back east.

I will tell you something about "stressful." The driving out here is way more stressful than KY. Be prepared for Defensive Driving 401, not 101. Especially on the freeways. Are you physically fit? I'm pretty active and I feel a bit of lethargy doing chores above 105. Will your job be near your temporary home? Buckeye to Apache Junction is 60 miles. This metroplex is very sprawled out and driving more than 15 miles from where you land a job will make for a stressful commute.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:01 AM

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
The fact you are single and without baggage, the only one who suffers if things don't work out is you. Life is too short to be stagnant and unhappy. I grew up near NYC and spent many years in god awful Buffalo NY. Different stage of life but same issues. Was very unhappy there and finally got a transfer out here after years of paying dues back east and coming out here for occasional "corporate trainings."

The time for you to take a chance is now since you do not have baggage to hold you back. Trust your skills and do what you need to do. I literally wasted close to half my life in an environment that made me unhappy. Life is too short. I've been actively traveling everywhere and anywhere out here to make up for the years of boredom and misery back east.

I will tell you something about "stressful." The driving out here is way more stressful than KY. Be prepared for Defensive Driving 401, not 101. Especially on the freeways. Are you physically fit? I'm pretty active and I feel a bit of lethargy doing chores above 105. Will your job be near your temporary home? Buckeye to Apache Junction is 60 miles. This metroplex is very sprawled out and driving more than 15 miles from where you land a job will make for a stressful commute.
I do have the time that is for sure. i like driving. i was used to driving an hr one way to my previous job and missed it. i like to thing about things and have a chance to reset myself.

it does suck being unhappy here in ky. i have been extremely miserable for over a yr when i hardcore made my decision to move. i just couldn't now.

i am not fit, i am skinny. 105 lbs at 5'8. i hope to join a gym and tone up tho. i am in the process of working out now to build up some muscle. i have been unemployed since 2010nov. then had a car wreck in 2009oct n got hurt so i been taking it easy. time to buck up and build up muscle.

I hope to not get locked into a contract with rent so if i need to move-- i can. i think i can deal with some of the ppl there in az- rather than here. i really have nothing to do and de-stress. swimming is unwinding for me. plus, my family stresses me out. i will not get into that story tho.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adele b View Post
I do have the time that is for sure. i like driving. i was used to driving an hr one way to my previous job and missed it. i like to thing about things and have a chance to reset myself.

it does suck being unhappy here in ky. i have been extremely miserable for over a yr when i hardcore made my decision to move. i just couldn't now.

i am not fit, i am skinny. 105 lbs at 5'8. i hope to join a gym and tone up tho. i am in the process of working out now to build up some muscle. i have been unemployed since 2010nov. then had a car wreck in 2009oct n got hurt so i been taking it easy. time to buck up and build up muscle.

I hope to not get locked into a contract with rent so if i need to move-- i can. i think i can deal with some of the ppl there in az- rather than here. i really have nothing to do and de-stress. swimming is unwinding for me. plus, my family stresses me out. i will not get into that story tho.
With the economy and competition as is, your job gap from Nov 10 could be an issue. However, there are many with 4 year degrees that have been out of work just as long. Regardless, take an entry level gig to get your feet wet and prove your worth. I STRONGLY suggest staying at one of the many Extended Stay Hotels indefinitely. That gives you flexibility if you find a better gig after you get your feet wet to move elsewhere in The Valley without being held liable for a broken lease. Yes, get a PO Box. You cannot have a permanent address without a permanent residence. You will not find $500/mth with utilities included unless you are on welfare. You have too much pride for that I hope. Extended Stays include utilities and your overhead is $800/mth tops.

Not to be controversial. Better to be skinny than fat. Your metabolism is good enough so I assume you can build up muscle by hitting a gym. Club SAR in Scottsdale on Camelback charges $175/year for unlimited access to their weight room and other classes from boxing to aerobics. You an old school Rocky guy ? It's a 1980's era weight room. No BS.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:32 AM

Default hmmm

Quote:
With the economy and competition as is, your job gap from Nov 10 could be an issue. However, there are many with 4 year degrees that have been out of work just as long. Regardless, take an entry level gig to get your feet wet and prove your worth. I STRONGLY suggest staying at one of the many Extended Stay Hotels indefinitely. That gives you flexibility if you find a better gig after you get your feet wet to move elsewhere in The Valley without being held liable for a broken lease. Yes, get a PO Box. You cannot have a permanent address without a permanent residence. You will not find $500/mth with utilities included unless you are on welfare. You have too much pride for that I hope. Extended Stays include utilities and your overhead is $800/mth tops.

Not to be controversial. Better to be skinny than fat. Your metabolism is good enough so I assume you can build up muscle by hitting a gym. Club SAR in Scottsdale on Camelback charges $175/year for unlimited access to their weight room and other classes from boxing to aerobics. You an old school Rocky guy ? It's a 1980's era weight room. No BS.
honestly i really do not want to stay at a hotel that long. i have to get a physical address for a license also. i will be at a hotel for a little while tho. i can find a lot of places for rent on craigslist for 500.00 but that is with like 3-4 roommates. i think that seems like a good deal. good to kno about the gym. i might look into that if i'm in that area.
i started college 6 months after i was canned from my job and since i put all effort into college so it worked out. i did not have enough money to work bc my unemployment was so low due to my previous vacation and also the car accident and losing hrs.

i'm glad i was canned tho. let me step back and it all came to me as to what i needed to do. i'm so happy with my life. just need to move to a better location with better opportunity.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:45 AM

Your schooling while on unemployment is a plus. Make sure you stress that to your employers as I am sure you know. I am signing off for the night but wish you the best of luck. Finding several roommates to split rent is easier said than done when you are moving here site unseen. Not sure why you have issues with staying at an extended stay indefinitely. You have a place to stay without utilities and have flexibility. I'd rather pay a little more at a hotel than live with 3 strangers at $500/mth. Two years of housemate living during my college years was bad enough. We argued over the tv and issues with walking in on one another while some chick from the bar was doing her thing on you in the living room. Living with roommates sucks ! Especially other dudes.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:23 PM

Default thanks again

Quote:
Your schooling while on unemployment is a plus. Make sure you stress that to your employers as I am sure you know. I am signing off for the night but wish you the best of luck. Finding several roommates to split rent is easier said than done when you are moving here site unseen. Not sure why you have issues with staying at an extended stay indefinitely. You have a place to stay without utilities and have flexibility. I'd rather pay a little more at a hotel than live with 3 strangers at $500/mth. Two years of housemate living during my college years was bad enough. We argued over the tv and issues with walking in on one another while some chick from the bar was doing her thing on you in the living room. Living with roommates sucks ! Especially other dudes.
thanks again for the advice. i will take Extended Stay into consideration. I just hate to pack up n move a few times. my car will be packed to the maxx. but i'm sure i will come up with something to make it work out in az.

its my future home. i will nor go back to KY!

Old 05-19-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
thanks again for the advice. i will take Extended Stay into consideration. I just hate to pack up n move a few times. my car will be packed to the maxx. but i'm sure i will come up with something to make it work out in az.

its my future home. i will nor go back to KY!
UPDATED.... Thanks for the suggestion for the Extended Stay. I was thinking of a regular hotel. They are like mini apts sort of. Studios. An awesome idea. Thank you so much. I will be looking, especially for one with a swimming pool. Gotta have a pool. I just wanted to tell you thank you again.
I do have another question, how would i have/get/use a physical address for a license? any ideas?

Old 05-19-2012, 04:47 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
I do have another question, how would i have/get/use a physical address for a license? any ideas?
There are many mailbox type places that will do that for you. Here is UPS. Read the description as I think that is exactly what you are looking for. You can use this to get a Arizona DL. The cost is around $20 a month.

The UPS Store #4910 - PHOENIX, AZ

Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
There are many mailbox type places that will do that for you. Here is UPS. Read the description as I think that is exactly what you are looking for. You can use this to get a Arizona DL. The cost is around $20 a month.

The UPS Store #4910 - PHOENIX, AZ

Exactly what i needed. i have to get a job when i get there. rent and things are too expensive not to. i'm so psyched to get packing and moved already but i have a surgery to get done before i go.
just didnt want to be turned down for a job bc of no address. its gonna be so wild getting this done. most ppl here cannot even understand how i'm going to do a big STATE move. i'm tuff I can do it.
i originally wanted to line up some things but ppl said that i had to have a AZ address so I had to move to plan B. it will work out. it has too. this is my destiny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area