Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 11:01 PM

751 posts, read 1,177,898 times

Advertisements

One of the biggest oddities about the Phoenix metro area is the town of Guadalupe. I never understood what that is, the best way to describe is like crossing into Mexico, for a few blocks and then back into the USA. I find it interesting in the sense that it is a town with a lot of character, but is there anything to is more to Guadalupe than just a "barrio"? I read some articles about Guadalupe and how gangs are prevalent in that area. Can anybody explain what Guadalupe is all about!?

Old 09-21-2007, 07:33 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
One of the biggest oddities about the Phoenix metro area is the town of Guadalupe. I never understood what that is, the best way to describe is like crossing into Mexico, for a few blocks and then back into the USA. I find it interesting in the sense that it is a town with a lot of character, but is there anything to is more to Guadalupe than just a "barrio"? I read some articles about Guadalupe and how gangs are prevalent in that area. Can anybody explain what Guadalupe is all about!?
Supposedly; Guadalupe incorporated some years ago to avoid being annexed by Tempe; which would have meant the end of the way of life there.

BTW: at least part of that town is actually a Yaqui indian reservation.

For the record: most North American Hispanics (at least thes ones from Mexico/Central America) are actually of Native American heritage, genetically speaking. Yes; some Yaqui's are Hispanic.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:07 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,445,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
As ArizonaBear mentioned, Guadalupe is as much Native American as Hispanic. There is actually a produce stand in Guadalupe that I really like. It's called the Guadalupe Farmer's Market and is located along Avenida del Yaqui (Priest). You can get really good produce at great prices there. The store also sells really good house-made salsas.

More info on the town:

Town of Guadalupe, Arizona -- Welcome!

Guadalupe, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by exit2lef; 04-21-2008 at 07:40 AM..

Old 04-21-2008, 09:09 AM

788 posts, read 2,110,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris69o View Post
I sadly live near Guadalupe in Phoenix and I hate it. I want them to be all shipped back to Mexico so they can stand around in their own yards all day. This makes me sick to have to live near a dump called Guadalupe. These illegals are always stealing from our near by apartment complex at night. The lady below me was broken into 2 times in a row because they broke the window. I DON'T FEEL SAFE IN MY OWN COUNTRY! The cops should just station at Guadalupe. They are there 24/7. These are illegal people who need to face the law just as a harmless American would. Thieves, stalkers, homeless, waste of space, time, and money! Girls get grabbed just jogging down the street. Why would we set up an illegal Mexican "hot spot" for drugs and violence called Guadalupe. Things like this make me wish I was a cop so I could go sweep them all out. Please ...please please.... dump them back where the bums came from! It is obvious that they are taking advantage of what we call "our great country." We can fix this! Lets do it!
Wow. Such hatred. I'm very outspoken about cracking down on our illegal immigrant problem, but did you know that there are a large number of Mexicans who are here legally?

Besides, I think Joe Arpaio is trying to do what you want, but it's not going to last long. He's really crossed the line this time.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:14 AM

371 posts, read 1,008,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
Wow. Such hatred. I'm very outspoken about cracking down on our illegal immigrant problem, but did you know that there are a large number of Mexicans who are here legally?

Besides, I think Joe Arpaio is trying to do what you want, but it's not going to last long. He's really crossed the line this time.
Crossed what line? He is just stepping up the monitoring of traffic laws and enforcing laws against illegals that the VAST majority of Arizonans are in favor of.

I have no issues with showing a passport, etc. to prove I am a US citizen if I am ever pulled over...takes like 5 seconds.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
Crossed what line? He is just stepping up the monitoring of traffic laws and enforcing laws against illegals that the VAST majority of Arizonans are in favor of.

I have no issues with showing a passport, etc. to prove I am a US citizen if I am ever pulled over...takes like 5 seconds.
Right, but I think that since he was shunned by Gordon, Arpaio decided to target a community that is primarily hispanic to prove a point.

And...some people who are here legally are being pulled over for no acceptable reason and asked to show their "papers".

It's one thing to crack down on illegal immigration, it's another to target and harass innocent people. He's just making people angrier than they already were. Maybe he should send his posse to the border instead.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:27 AM

371 posts, read 1,008,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
Right, but I think that since he was shunned by Gordon, Arpaio decided to target a community that is primarily hispanic to prove a point.

And...some people who are here legally are being pulled over for no acceptable reason and asked to show their "papers".

It's one thing to crack down on illegal immigration, it's another to target and harass innocent people. He's just making people angrier than they already were. Maybe he should send his posse to the border instead.
What people are angry? Illegals? Those who have illegal friends or illegal family or those who employ cheap illegal labor?

Gordon is a pu$$y...trying to save face with the Hispanic community...same reason he so lamely 'handled' the whole illegal situation at Pruitts.

You are going to lose out...again, the VAST majority of people are in favor of what Sheriff Joe is doing...there is a reason he keeps getting re-elected...he enforces laws that the people are in favor of.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:22 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris69o View Post
I sadly live near Guadalupe in Phoenix and I hate it. I want them to be all shipped back to Mexico so they can stand around in their own yards all day. This makes me sick to have to live near a dump called Guadalupe. These illegals are always stealing from our near by apartment complex at night. The lady below me was broken into 2 times in a row because they broke the window. I DON'T FEEL SAFE IN MY OWN COUNTRY! The cops should just station at Guadalupe. They are there 24/7. These are illegal people who need to face the law just as a harmless American would. Thieves, stalkers, homeless, waste of space, time, and money! Girls get grabbed just jogging down the street. Why would we set up an illegal Mexican "hot spot" for drugs and violence called Guadalupe. Things like this make me wish I was a cop so I could go sweep them all out. Please ...please please.... dump them back where the bums came from! It is obvious that they are taking advantage of what we call "our great country." We can fix this! Lets do it!
Rather harsh, Chris . . . however, your sentiments are not unique and it is downright shameful such situations have been allowed to continue and even prosper in this country. I probably would feel the same way if not more so if in the same scenario.

Obviously, Guadalupe is another example of Illegals (mostly from Mexico but definitely not exclusively) insisting on living their Third World Lifestyle and refusing to assimilate while "sponging" off the U.S. Taxpayers.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
What people are angry? Illegals? Those who have illegal friends or illegal family or those who employ cheap illegal labor?

Gordon is a pu$$y...trying to save face with the Hispanic community...same reason he so lamely 'handled' the whole illegal situation at Pruitts.

You are going to lose out...again, the VAST majority of people are in favor of what Sheriff Joe is doing...there is a reason he keeps getting re-elected...he enforces laws that the people are in favor of.
I agree, and I have voted for him several times, but there's a right way to do things and a wrong way, and I believe that he's crossed into wrong territory.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:44 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
When I worked in Az, we did a few service calls out in that area. Not one of those areas where you can leave your toolbin unlocked even for a minute while you're inside.
Its not uncommon to see some guys walking down the street with a big screen tv...you just dont know if it was theirs or if they just stole it from somewhere. Nor was it uncommon to see a car in a parking lot up on a jack....not knowing if someone is taking the nice wheels or if they are just simply changing a flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area