Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:02 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times

Advertisements

I do the usual 10-20% but I don't eat out that much, I'm not into crowded dining establishments or bars. Make good stuff at home. Hairstylist, ditto. Usually go get the pizza myself. Don't use the other services. Depends on the service, no blind tipping unless they look like they are miserable, then they get sympathy money. Because I hate work too.

Last edited by sholomar; 06-04-2012 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 PM

272 posts, read 609,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Addict View Post
I do not agree that we should tip if service is terrible.

For example, there was one time where the server just threw the dishes at our tables, not responding to our requests while chit-chating with his buddies at the bar. We discussed about the tip and decided on $0. The meal was $80. If we gave an $8 tip, what would that say? That what he was doing was fine? That he would get a tip by mistreating customers?

No and no. A tip is a "thank you", and we did not want to thank him for his bad service. And no, we never went back to the restaurant.
Best thing to do in a case like that is report it to the manager as soon as it happens. In my case, you'd have gotten another server and a good-sized chunk of your bill comped - and hopefully a far better experience.
You also would have gotten me, ensuring that everything was to your liking...
The server who treated you in that manner would have been sent home.

If the manager blows you off, it's best to never return.

To be entirely honest: While I don't agree with stiffing, if the server treated you that shabbily, I really can't blame you.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:05 AM

391 posts, read 788,238 times
i basically tip at 20% unless its small then I go more. At our community pool, specials are $3/drink. Ill usually give them a $5 for one drink or $9 or $10 when they bring two at once.

Hate tipping the golf course guys that jump on your cart and shine your clubs. To me thats a useless service. I give them a buck and tell them my clubs are fine.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Before I start my "rant" about tipping let me say that when I get exceptional service I tip way above 20% and conversely, when I get lousy service I tip 0. At buffets, depending on how well the plates are pulled and drinks refilled $1-$2. As for the rest of the list, I don't patronize them so I can't answer.

Rant on:
Tipping here as far as I'm concerned has steadily gotten out of hand. When I go to Dunkin or Starbucks for example there's a tip jar at the register as there is in many other places. Why would I tip before I get any service? Why would I tip someone for handing me a donut and cup of coffee?
Why would I tip just because somebody was doing what they were paid to do?

We own a concession trailer and sell hand scooped Ice Cream, (which is hard work btw).
At events we were regularly asked "where's your tip jar"? We didn't have one because it was our feeling that when we scooped your order, smiled and asked what we could get you,chatted with you or whatever we were doing what you're paying us for and should expect from any business, it's called Customer Service.
We had people helping us and we paid them so they didn't need to depend on tips. Now if they went above and beyond as they regularly did (customer service is a BIG,big deal with us) people would insist on tipping which the helpers got.
Waitstaff who are really good at what they do and go beyond just delivering your food deserve to be tipped, again it's hard work to be the best and they don't HAVE to go above and beyond just serving the food so when they do I reward them.
I won't even go into being chased out of a restaurant into the parking lot a couple of times by a waitress yelling at us for "not tipping enough".
Rant off:

Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
Ive been observing other diners everytime I go out to eat and from what Ive seen , lots of people DONT TIP at all, even though I often read about how generous most people say they tip , I think most people on forums BS about being a a big tipper

I remember at the buffet I saw a whole group of middle aged or older [mod cut-- irrelevant, at best] people and they didnt leave a dime, nada, zero tip

Last edited by observer53; 06-05-2012 at 03:09 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 01:28 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I think most people on forums BS about being a a big tipper
I agree 100% and I think a lot of those "in the industry" say people tip at higher levels to make others feel like they are obligated to tip at higher levels.

Think about it, if waiters/waitresses were going around saying the average tip is only 5-10% then others would say "I only need to tip 5-10% because that is what everyone does". Their tips are higher if everyone thinks that everyone else is tipping 20% or more. The only reason I tip at 15% is because I'm "told" that is the bare minimum, tell me 5% is the minimum and I'll tip 5%.

The majority of people I eat out with, many are business associates, are not big tippers and I've found myself leaving more for my tip because those I'm eating with left so little.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:35 PM

49 posts, read 69,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Why shouldn't they? Because, for the most part, it is an entry level "unskilled labor" position, that's why.

I'll post the definition of unskilled labor from dictionary.com for you. It's not a derogatory term, it just means they didn't have to invest any time or money in training or education to get the job like many of us do.

unskilled labor 
noun
work that requires practically no training or experience for its adequate or competent performance.

I definitely see where you are coming from and I always enjoy hearing peoples viewpoints. I do agree that if you haven't done it in your life you would view it as entry level and needing zero experience. However, serving and bartending require a lot of multi-tasking abilities. The ability to make a drink, talk to a guest, clean the area, ring it in all within moments to keep you satisfied. That is a skill. Memorization isn't an easy skill. Especially for full menus and off the menu type info as far as soy products or vegetarian. I am not saying its rocket science but I don't think not tipping a certain amount because they are only your waitstaff is the way it should be viewed. I think if your bill is $100 and you feel like the server deserves $10, leave them $10. But if your bill was only $20 because of happy hour and the person was running for you, refilling your drink and putting an order in each time at your table. I don't think $4 is an adequate amount. But thats the great world we live in, we are entitled to our own opinions.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:39 PM

49 posts, read 69,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I won't even go into being chased out of a restaurant into the parking lot a couple of times by a waitress yelling at us for "not tipping enough".
Rant off:

That's just ridiculous. I've been left $0 dollars on a tab before and I just brush it off. I believe in karma. I mean if I forgot your order, I don't deserve a tip because I didn't do what was required or expected of me. But to go after somebody, you must be a very angry individual.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylfe11 View Post
I definitely see where you are coming from and I always enjoy hearing peoples viewpoints. I do agree that if you haven't done it in your life you would view it as entry level and needing zero experience. However, serving and bartending require a lot of multi-tasking abilities. The ability to make a drink, talk to a guest, clean the area, ring it in all within moments to keep you satisfied. That is a skill. Memorization isn't an easy skill. Especially for full menus and off the menu type info as far as soy products or vegetarian. I am not saying its rocket science but I don't think not tipping a certain amount because they are only your waitstaff is the way it should be viewed. I think if your bill is $100 and you feel like the server deserves $10, leave them $10. But if your bill was only $20 because of happy hour and the person was running for you, refilling your drink and putting an order in each time at your table. I don't think $4 is an adequate amount. But thats the great world we live in, we are entitled to our own opinions.
No, you guys are not listening to me.

I know they work hard and become proficient with practice just like anything in life. There are some that are better than others and I have the utmost respect for those in the service industry. "unskilled labor" is not derogatory and you are taking it as such. It simply means they did not need an education or training to gain entry into this career field.

There are no Sally Struthers schools of waitressing that I am aware of. You gain entry into this field without needing formal education or training. Of course one gains experience by performing this job but that is not what "unskilled labor" means.

I just think someone that has invested the time and money on a college education should 'EXPECT' more compensation at the entry level than someone that goes into a field that requires no formal education or training.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:31 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
Waiters/waitresses/bartenders; Average of 15%
Your table at a buffet whether you are served drinks or not;I don't go to buffets often but why would I leave a tip?
Car wash personnel;$5
Hairdressers/barbers/nail techs;[color="red"]$5[/COLOR
Therapeutic massage/spa services;[color="red"]never been[/COLOR
Valets;[color="red"]$5[/COLOR
Cab Drivers;[color="red"]$5 on a $20 fare[/COLOR
Hotel Maids;[color="red"]Usually forget[/COLOR
Skycaps/Bellcaps$2/bag for bellmen, never use skycaps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area