Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 PM

10 posts, read 14,679 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your help so far everyone! Really got me thinking.
The reason I'm considering moving is because I have to for school anyways. While I'm not sure what I want to go to school for yet, I know the closest school to me that would even be worth going to is 5 hours away, and not in an ideal place. In my opinion anyways. I am considering it though.
Right now I'm also trying to decide what I want to do with my life, I don't have too much of a plan, which I know is bad, but I'm working on it.
Other reasons I would like to move to Phoenix is to be closer to some of my relatives, I have quite a bit of family there.
I also feel like the weather would be a better match for me, where I am now in winter it very often gets 20 or 30 degrees below zero. I do have some experience in 100+ degrees, even though I don't know what 120 feels like, I assume it wouldn't be as restricting as -30.
Of course before deciding on moving anywhere I would take a trip or so there just to get a feel of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 12:59 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,602,006 times
If you have a lot of family here in AZ (or in the Phoenix area) then it makes more sense to come here than go somewhere where you don't know anyone. We have a good community college system here where you could get started.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:22 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,765,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justagirl27 View Post
The reason I'm considering moving is because I have to for school anyways. While I'm not sure what I want to go to school for yet, I know the closest school to me that would even be worth going to is 5 hours away, and not in an ideal place. In my opinion anyways. I am considering it though.
Right now I'm also trying to decide what I want to do with my life, I don't have too much of a plan, which I know is bad, but I'm working on it.
Other reasons I would like to move to Phoenix is to be closer to some of my relatives, I have quite a bit of family there.
I also feel like the weather would be a better match for me, where I am now in winter it very often gets 20 or 30 degrees below zero. I do have some experience in 100+ degrees, even though I don't know what 120 feels like, I assume it wouldn't be as restricting as -30.
Of course before deciding on moving anywhere I would take a trip or so there just to get a feel of it.
That explains a lot. Certainly come out and check things out. To me, now would be a good time because if you can take the summers the rest of the year is gravy! Glad to hear you are considering furthering your education. Honestly, unless you know some significant people, it helps to have a skill. You are still young and have time to develop marketable skills to be successful in the changing workforce.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:47 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,151,744 times
My advice would be to save $25,000 to bring with you to AZ, have a decent car, and have no debt before you move. You can work and go to community college at the same time just like millions of people do all the time. If u have a good work history and aren't a criminal you should be fine. You're young! Move away from the cold!!!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:58 AM

28 posts, read 61,694 times
I just want to pipe in here that if you have no skills and no education this will be a tough place to get by. At best you'll find a job for $8 an hour. Add in the other expenses of daily living here and it won't be easy even if your rent is cheap.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:40 PM

39,179 posts, read 51,522,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsesta1687 View Post
I just want to pipe in here that if you have no skills and no education this will be a tough place to get by. At best you'll find a job for $8 an hour. Add in the other expenses of daily living here and it won't be easy even if your rent is cheap.
Can you point out a city where having no skills and no education will NOT a tough place to get by? I say go for it. It never gets easier than when you are young and unattached. Having family in the area will be a help particularly if you (OP) can lean on them while you go to community college and/or look for work.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM

945 posts, read 2,535,529 times
If the OP would need to travel 5 hours to the nearest decent school, I can't imagine there are plentiful jobs there. Phoenix might be a great option for you if you can keep your expenses down, focus on education, and find an entry-level job. Unlike many other larger cities, the COL in Phoenix is relatively low. Good Luck!!

Old 06-13-2012, 02:41 PM

54,505 posts, read 33,948,603 times
Quote:
First a little bit of information.
I will be twenty when I move.
I will not really have any useful skills, as I have not gone to college or a trade school.
I will have somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 dollars saved.

I'm considering a few other places too so if it's just a horrible idea for me to move to Phoenix I do have other options. I would just like to move to there.

First of all, having no unique or special skills, will I even be able to find a job in/around the Phoenix area? I'm okay with any type of job, food service, cleaning, etc.
If I am able to find a job how long will it take and will I be able to make enough to afford a studio apartment in a not too dangerous area? I am willing to cut expenses elsewhere.
How much should I expect to pay in expenses other than rent a month, on average?

What are some other things I should consider?
Unless you're coming here to get a college education, I would not consider moving to Phoenix. Jobs are plentiful in the retail sector, and probably in the other two you mentioned, but that's not something you would want to stay in for the rest of your life.

Good luck.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:59 PM

54,505 posts, read 33,948,603 times
Quote:
Sorry, I just saw this message.

A good career to choose here in the Phoenix area would be in the Healthcare industry. I'm not sure what school you were referring to that's 5 hours away, and where that school is, but I would certainly stay within a 20-mile radius of the school and work locations. It also helps to have close family members in the area.

We don't get the 20-30 degrees below zero in the winters here in Phoenix, you might see 5-10 below in mountain cities like Flagstaff or Showlow. We also do get freezing temperatures in December, January and February, but for only a few days, overall the weather is perfect from early October until the middle of May. Being a native of Phoenix, I've only seen summer high temperatures that exceeded 120 degrees only one time, that was in June of 1990. The average high temperatures in the summer months average about 105, and the good news is, the humidity levels are usually under 10%. The only time humidity increases is during the monsoon season in August, but it's nowhere near the levels seen in other areas of the country.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:41 PM

35 posts, read 69,407 times
OP: All the naysayers serve one purpose - to see how much you want this. They are a low hurdle being presented to see if you will jump over.

If you want this do it. Do not listen to these people who say you must have an ideal circumstance to venture a change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area