Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:05 PM

142 posts, read 933,650 times

Advertisements

My husband got a DUI (it was a super extreme)here in AZ back in February. His license suspension started in May(he had a hard 30 day suspension) and then a 60 day work permit while on suspension for the months of June and July. He drove around in May and it totally ticked me off. Then, I went to Tucson for Memorial Day weekend and I found out that he not only drove but bought himself a few 12 packs, too! Needless to say, I'm pretty much ticked off.

Anyway, I am looking for information regarding license suspension, penalties if he gets caught, etc. He will be getting the interlock device soon but we have 2 cars registered in his name. I don't know if both have to have the interlock and I'm wondering if I should remove him from my car? Also, he is planning on traveling for work next week to San Diego and will be renting a car. He rents with National and is part of their corporate rental program so his license doesn't get run. That means he's renting a car with a suspended license in another state! I certainly don't want to tattle on him and he needs to travel to keep his job and since I stay at home, his income is all we've got. Yet, I'm so dang frustrated by him thumbing his nose at authority all in the name of: I have to do it to provide for my family!

Oh, and his psychiatrist and myself have told him to go to AA but he snubbed his nose at us, too. He is currently on home detention which ends tomorrow so then his work permit/restricted driving will be in full force. We've been married 17 years and this is so hard for me because he never used to be like this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 01:17 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
You can't just "remove" someone from the title as it takes permission from the bank (if there is a lien holder) and request for a new title at the MVD. It isn't a quick process and if he is the primary breadwinner on the note for the vehicle the bank isn't going to want his name off the title. He would have to agree and sign off on this as well.

Don't know the answers to the rest of your questions as I've never dealt with a DUI in my family but do wish you the best it getting this worked out.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:25 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,530 times
This is my opinion on the matter and you can take it or leave it as it is certainly not legal advice (which I highly recommend getting if you are this nervous).

At any rate, if this situation were happening to me, this is what I would do:

-- Find out through National what the policies are. Do it in 3rd person, whatever makes you feel comfortable. My fear would be if his employer found out--could he get fired? Than there is an even bigger train wreck.
-- Regarding that... even if he gets pulled over for speeding, not coming to a complete stop--whatever in California and they run his license and it comes back as suspended that could result is another mess across state lines.
-- I am sure he has a probation officer?
-- Does his employer have an assistance hotline (EAP)? Usually spouses can call and get assistance, referrals, etc. This may be something to look into and I am confident it's confidential if you call.
-- Another great resource is our local 211 service.

I wish you the best of luck but more importantly, have you discussed your concerns at length with your husband? It sounds like you have but perhaps not in a tone like you are here--out of blunt fear.

I also recommend Al-Anon... great program.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:54 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,239 times
I've gone thru this with my brother. Trust me on this. It isn't going to get any better unless he realizes he has a problem. Even then, it's a hard uphill climb.
If he "has to" get a drink, then it's just going to escalate from there. He needs help to get past the drinking thing and in todays society, that's a tough road.
It has absolutely ruined my brothers life and he has severely affected my mothers life and negatively affected my life and I don't wish that on my worst enemy.
This is beyond just the driving while suspended situation. If he wants to provide for his family, he needs to realize that he HAS TO quite alcohol altogether or his life the the lives of his family will fall apart in the not so distant future.
Get him help any way you can but it has to come from within. If he isn't ready, all the help in the world won't work.
From someone who knows.

Last edited by maverick974; 06-17-2012 at 02:48 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 03:01 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
To try to keep this on the Arizona-related questions you asked, driving on a suspended license could land him in jail, which would most certainly cost him his job. Since the penalties in the statutes on these issues are not all hard and fast rules, it might be worthwhile for you to discuss this with an attorney who practices in that area. This forum is really not the place for legal advice.

Sorry you are going through this. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:06 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
I got a DUI 3 years ago and my fiance has 2 "super extreme" DUI's. I also have an ex who has a DUI and was caught TWICE driving without a license. So, I'm all too familiar.

Anyway, my fiance is getting his iterlock off tomorrow! Basically whichever car he will be driving NEEDS an interlock!! Just because he's on two titles it means nothing. All that matters is he has to be driving a car with an interlock, so in reality if he plans to dirve both cars regularly then, yes they both need it, but that's just crazy to do and costly! So pick a car and stick to that one.

IF he gets stopped without a license he will be arrested. His license will then have another suspension tacked on (it's usually the same suspension he was caught driving on - in his case another 90 days). He will also serve 2 days in jail at a later time. My ex had 2.5 years of suspension JUST because he kept getting caught driving!! It was a total mess.

HE needs to take this seriously, but as it sounds he's an alcoholic. It appears he won't take this seriously and will have to learn his lesson sitting in jail with another DUI. A second DUI is 4 months work release (or two months straight time), a third DUI is ONE year in PRISON and will be a FELONY!!

I got TOUGH with my guy a long time ago (after his second DUI - happened shortly after we started dating). If he didn't shape up I was DONE. And I was serious. HE has since gotten more responsible and rarely ever drinks. HE knows one more mess up and it's a year in prison. No one wants that!! If it wasn't for me he probably would have received his third by now, with the way he was headed.

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2012, 03:12 PM

Thank you all for the replies. We own both our cars outright so we have the titles on premises. I have tried to talk to him about my concerns and he will agree to abiding by my requests and then haul off and do what he wants. I've expressed my fears and told him the legal consequences of his actions to which he says, "You don't know what your talking about. My lawyer told me that I can drive as long as I don't get caught. Oh, and he also told me I could buy a beater car to put the ignition interlock into, too."

As for CA, he's been cited for not wearing a seatbelt there, too. He never wears his seatbelt, not even now with all that's going on! I honestly feel that he's on a slippery slope and I have no idea how to get him to hear me. Honestly, I've given up and I feel that I need to figure out how to protect myself and our 13 year old.

I have tried to get him help, I called his doctor(psychiatrist) and when he found out about my concern and the fact that I called, he turned the drinking up a notch which led to the DUI. He is a binge drinker and I'm assuming he's not done drinking since I know he drank a few weeks ago when I was out of town. Frustrated doesn't even begin to explain how I feel!

Old 06-17-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
To try to keep this on the Arizona-related questions you asked, driving on a suspended license could land him in jail, which would most certainly cost him his job. Since the penalties in the statutes on these issues are not all hard and fast rules, it might be worthwhile for you to discuss this with an attorney who practices in that area. This forum is really not the place for legal advice.

Sorry you are going through this. Best of luck to you.
Thank you for this, I needed the reminder to stick to the topic. Emotions get in the way sometimes!

I was just looking for other's experiences and I plan on calling a lawyer this week for advice. Thanks again!

Old 06-17-2012, 03:37 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Maybe this point will "hit home" . . .

Depending on the circumstances, if he gets caught driving on a suspended license it is very likely his vehicle will be seized and impounded for a minimum of 30 days. Also, it is very possible he will be locked up so he may end up needing another job to pay all of the fines, the towing and impound fees as well as the huge attorney fees.

If, God forbid, he's in an accident it could be much much worse.

Definitely NOT WORTH THE RISK!

Old 06-17-2012, 03:41 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Maybe this point will "hit home" . . .

Depending on the circumstances, if he gets caught driving on a suspended license it is very likely his vehicle will be seized and impounded for a minimum of 30 days. Also, it is very possible he will be locked up so he may end up needing another job to pay all of the fines, the towing and impound fees as well as the huge attorney fees.

If, God forbid, he's in an accident it could be much much worse.

Definitely NOT WORTH THE RISK!
Oh yeah, forgot about this one. Yes, 30 days impound for sure. Mine was impounded that long due to an extreme DUI arrest. Cost about $600 total. I was able to rent a car durng that time bcause I still had my license for a couple months before it was suspended, so tack on a a lot more for rental car fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area